Arrival

Just saw pic related.

Legitimately one of the best films I have ever seen. A modern masterpiece that will be remembered for a long time.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

Also answering questions on it.

Do you get to see the lil green aliens?

Yes but never 100% out in the open. Probably get to see a good 80-90%. And they aren't little or green.

Will this finally make Amy Adams win an Oscar?

what they look like breh

is Charlie Sheen in it?

How much are they paying you to shill this?

>Anyone else seen it?
sorry, if it's not the US election or identity politics Sup Forums isn't interested

The short story was fucking awful. Did the movie actually manage to salvage it?

Why are they here?

Easily impressed imdb drones

>9 original posters in a short amount of time
>no one is interested

Fuck off, the only one with a shitty useless post is you

I can easily see a nomination here and would not be surprised if she wins it. But we all know how much of a meme the Oscars are anyways.

They're septapods as the humans call them. They walk on seven tentacles and you quite often see them like you do here in the trailer shot. You get better looks throughout the movie of course but they are kind of brownish grey in colour. At the end of the film you see more as she comes into closer contact and the body actually extends a bit more than what you think and the upper half is kind of like a big armless human torso coming to a point sort of like a human head.

is it DUDE LOVE LMAO like interstellar or is it actually enjoyable?

>SoYL wasn't amazing

Woah, woah slow down friend.

I think you've had enough Pleb Taste for one night.

Watch more films and get better taste before you post here.

didn't know anything about the source material story going in. The story definitely worked for me but the majority of the story focussed on amy and jeremy. After reading a quick wikipedia on Story of your life it does follow that concept but it works out really well here as it leads you to believe that they are all flashbacks, until the end. And it isn't just randomly tossed there out of the blue, there are plenty of moments that support it throughout - such as a theory about people whose brains work differently based upon the languages they speak and so forth.

septapods/heptapods** whatever

i got a nice war of the worlds vibe from this movie

checked

It has no moments like that where it is just out of the blue fairy land thinking. There is a point where you realise something that could be seen as ridiculously dumb, but the pieces are always there to connect it all. Actually enjoyable/10.

You think you can draw up a crude pic of the aliens? Seeing different alien concepts gets me rock hard, man

that thing on the cover looks like a giant pickle spear in the sky

There is almost 0 action in this movie except for seeing a couple military aircraft shoot missiles and one explosion going off, so do not expect a war of the worlds. This is more of a thriller/mystery sci fi than a world domination fight for our life sci fi. And like a good sci fi, it has a legitimate meaning behind it all that is extremely relevant to our society today.

I am terrible at art and did this in paint in about 10 seconds. But yeah for the most part you only see from about the base of the tentacles down for the movie. The ends of the tentacles open up like you see in the trailer when it presses up against the screen. When it opens up, it shoots out this weird ink stuff that then forms into the language they use that you see as circles. Only really in one shot at the end do you see the upper half and it really looks like a broad shouldered human with no arms. They are also pretty big in comparison to Amy.

also when you only see the bottom half, it really reminded me of a crawling hand

Are the aliems spooky looking? Do they do any jumpscares aka the oldest trick in the alien handbook?

spoil it

The aliens themselves never really come off as spooky. It is the situation itself that is spooky which comes down to the great cinematography, score and editing. You never really feel scared by them, but you get a real sense of eeriness particularly when they first enter the ship. No real jump scares either. I think there was one in some nightmare but the movie never played out to give you scares.

>Arrival
spoil the end please, is not coming to theaters in my country

>arrival

they were already here

Bitch is there to translate alien languages.
Alien's language isn't linear. All events are simultaneous. They perceive reality that way because of their language.
Once she learns the language, she starts perceiving reality that way.

I was a little bit surprised when Superman showed up in the post-credit scene.

It looks like a ripoff of Contact. I'm sick of Amy Adams .

>whose brains work differently based upon the languages
no
just fucking no. neither brains nor language works that way.

> when you think the movie is going to be hard scifi but then it uses a completely disproven and debunked pseudo-scientific theory for its entire plot
thank you for saving me the money i would've used on admission to see this piece of shit

Alright I will write the general gist of it. For those who don't know the source material I would recommend not reading as there is a pretty big reveal in the movie that is best experienced when watching it. I'll write some important moments then jump to the end.

Movie starts off with what is a montage of Amy Adams raising her daughter which ends up with the daughter dying (around 10yo I presume) of some unspecified medical condition. Then we get arrival of 12 alien ships and she gets recruited by military to help.

Her and Jeremy's character manage to get the aliens to communicate with them via those circle ink patterns you see in the trailer. They work out that is a form of communication that has no beginning or end, it just has meaning, unlike our sentences. Their ultimate goal is to ask them what the alien's purpose is on Earth, but they need to establish a basic vocabulary first.

They continue to learn more and communicate better over at least a month while working with all the other countries who had a ship land. As she learns more, she starts having more and more images of her daughter and she becomes a bit distraught. It is then Jeremy asks if she's okay and brings up the theory about how people who become so enticed in other languages that they begin dreaming in that language and their brain starts working differently.

Jumping further ahead in the movie, China and a few other countries start freaking out because they translated the next communication to be 'use weapon', but Amy thought it was 'offer weapon' and so forth... Just sparking fear that shit was about to go down essentially. As all the militaries start freaking out and begin setting up for an attack on the ship, Amy goes for one last ditch effort to communicate with them (she now is very good in their language and can essentially read it but not speak it (it has been a long time and it is all they have been working on).

1/2

Commendable effort user, thank you.

Sorry to go back a step, the second last contact they have, the aliens leave an enormous message that no one can break and appears to have no meaning. It is revealed that it is 1/12th of a message and requires all 12 nations to give up their information for the greater good to decrypt the message.

Anyways, in her last contact with the alien, it is revealed that in 3000 years, humans will help the aliens, so right now the aliens are helping humanity - the aliens perceive time in a nonlinear fashion, hence their language. It's then revealed that Amy never had a kid and that the visions of the daughter are actually her future (with a husband who is revealed after many clues to be Jeremy).

She is perceiving time nonlinearly and we then flash forward to her meeting the military leader of China at some international peace event 18 months down the track who seemed to be suspicious of how her brain works and thanks her for contacting him on his private number. He then shows her his number. And tells her the words she said to him. She then uses this to actually do it in present time to convince China and the countries following them to reveal the message given to them so all countries can come together. The ending scene is her deciding to have her kid with Jeremy further down the timeline despite knowing what will happen.

It sounds retarded when you write it out, but there are so many small moments and hints that make it work.

I can't remember the exact explanation they used but it was some theory that apparently exists about it. The movie works if you can just go with it. There's lots of shit in sci fi that is ridiculous but you can look past to enjoy the movie. I never thought the concept was stupid.

breddy cool, thanks

Sounds like retarded nwo propaganda.
>the aliens are our friends
>dismantle nation states
No thanks.

Oh okay I suppose you want a movie about aliens coming down and us humans trying to fight for our survival as a species and put aside our differences to fight a greater threat. That's original.

FUUUUUUUCK OFF SHILL

turn off your brain broo

>A modern masterpiece that will be remembered for a long time.
>directed by villeneuve
lmao

This film's exactly the same though, just the mode of combat is different.

>The movie works if you can just go with it
Movies also work when they fucking stick to what the audience expects the movie is about.
Lord of the Rings? An ancient evil awakens and must be stopped.
Night of the Living Dead? The dead are walking around again.
Alien? A fuckin' alien on a ship killing people.

Arrival
> This movie is about aliens who visit earth and the attempt of humans to communicate to them
> Just kidding! It's actually a human drama about a woman who can see the future of her dead child by reading magic alien symbols
fuck this movie

stick to your genre trash.

Arrival is not even the best film of November

Why do you have such shit taste?

I saw it and the acting was just awful.

this

especially this

Anyone know where I can read story of my life?

>neither brains nor language works that way.
>i'm an expert on extraterrestrial brains AND language
cool bro

Arrival is not even the best film of November

SoYL felt like a boring and sterile explanation of the concept of teleology first and a story second.

Gene Wolfe took this concept and made a masterpiece out of it well before Ted Chiang or whatever the hell his name is tried to.

>shilling this hard

fucking kikes, man

Who the fuck is gene wolfe?

He's considered by patricians to be possibly the greatest science-fiction writer of all time. His work is kind of like a combination of the best parts of G.K. Chesterton, Jack Vance J.R.R. Tolkien

The particular work I was referring to is Book of the New Sun. One of the few works of science-fiction that will make /lit/ think MORE of you if read it rather than significantly less.

Well the snobby pretentiousness of your post aside thank you for actually answering my question. I'll look into that book.

I wouldn't recommend going straight for Book of the New Sun, Wolfe's writing is sort of unusual. I wouldn't call him hard to read exactly, but going straight for his longest work might throw you for a loop.

He wrote 'The Fifth Head of Cerberus' and 'Peace' before 'New Sun.' I'd consider them to be much better entry points into his work. And I also think that they're easily just as good as New Sun. They'll let you ease yourself into his style and make New Sun much easier.

Oh my god, Amy Adams looked so thick and delicious in this. She's ageing like a proper woman. So fucking hot.

Also, Gyllenhaal is an unfairly handsome man

Thank you. I've just got back into reading a few months ago and appreciate the suggestions.

If science-fiction is your thing Wolfe is just the start of what you'd call 'the good ones.' Jack Vance and Harlan Ellison are a couple of good names to look into. Vance's 'Tales of the Dying Earth' and Ellison's short stories are both very good things to look into. Vance in particular I think is great because his work is simple, fun and readable as hell on top of being very well written.

You're in for a treat, Wolfe is amazing. Be prepared to read New Sun more than once.

Sounds really fucking amazing honestly, like a proper sci-fi.

this is toasty, roastie

I saw it took, but it really wasnt that great. I mean it was good, but it was just a poor mans Slaughter House 5.

this was fun to try and draw hahah
its weird the texture of it was just like skin, and there were knuckles

Are you fucking with everyone here OP? This movie was good up until the last 15 minutes, whoever wrote the dialogue should be shot in the fucking head. Her conversation with the Chinese general that took place in the future was literally the most unnatural and forced exchange of exposition I have ever seen in a movie. She got all the fucking answers to her problem in one single flash forward.
>Thankyou for changing my mind that day lady
>Yeah don't you remember, you did it by calling me on my private number.
>Here let me show you what that number is right now for no fucking reason.
>You know I'll never forget waht you said to me that day. Thankyou.
>Don't you remember? You said my dead wife's last words.
>Also i said them in chinese
>Here let me whisper them in your ear incase its relevant to the plot for no fucking reason.

Go fuck yourself, her little speech about embracing the future was shit too. Does not justify her actions enough. SHe should have instead talked about how she knew she would have to be with him anyway because its a deterministic timeline and the only way she could 'close the loop' is to marry him.

Movie was okay until last 15 minutes. Went to shit and sullied the rest.

fuck you cunt bitch shit nigger associate

how come when people make aliens they always look fucking retard

The movie is fucking terrible just like prisoners and sicario. All this guy makes is pleb candy shit that Reddit and Sup Forums tier retards eat up

The Chinese guy knew about her brain being changed to see time differently, it was unnatural feeling because he was literally fucking giving her the information she would need to make it happen, he understood.

They gave literally no indication of this. The same cunt was about to blow the shit out of the aliens fucking 2 minutes earlier. Audience were given no indication that he knew how and what happened so the wonky dialogue seemed completely wonky on its own. I'm not saying the info should be spoonfed, but fuck at least give some slight indication.

He mentions it during the conversation leading up to the parts you're bitching about. He says something like "I don't pretend to understand how your mind works, but.."

user you are amazing

Also I wanted to add, this is like 18 months later. She's written a book about this, it's not a secret.

Do you ever see its vagoo?

>they gave no indication of this

did you watch the movie? i think you fell asleep

It's one of my favorite movies of the year, if not the favorite. It was honestly an incredible experience. It's got me so hyped I can't help but type like a shill.

completely the same for me

Oh wow great a ripoff of the slaughterhouse 5 aliens. So fucking cool. Goddammit

The only part I didn't understand was the bomb. Who planted it there, and why were their soldiers engaging in a gunfight afterwards? I felt really dumb because I was expecting them to elaborate on it but it never happened. Was it just rogue soldiers trying to start shit with the aliens?

That was the one part that stumped me too. I believe the bomb was decided upon by the government in general as all the other countries were going crazy at the same time. As for the gun shots, I am not too sure but I think it had something to do with those trucks that were driving up as they entered. I'm seeing it again next week anyways so hopefully I can pick up on that.

>believing in aliens
>b-b-but muh billions of galaxies

Lmao, pathetic.

Or if it hasn't been released in the US you nigger

IS THAT OP'S MOM'S DIAPHRAGM?

then were do trolls come from?

thank you shills, I'll be sure to DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE, SO NO SHEKELS FOR YOU

$0.50 have been deposited in your account

he is, I hate when he was a young big eyes puppy but, dude, than man looks like a stallion now. He would be a great batman and then that will ruin his career, but well.

Torrent when?

Do you reckon that their whole fleet forms a whole orange?

that's clever. well done.

t. NEET who has never left his mom's basement

Good movie, but the ending was really forced.
Felt like i was watching bill and ted again when they do time travel shit.
I thought the flash black/flash forward reveal was done a bit too early, but generally it was very good.

fuck off

this honestly smells like a mixed bag and its full blown plebs who are loving this film simply because its right up their ally of the pseudocapeshit genre known officially as SciFi

Oscarbait. Looks generic, as does every movie coming out between now and the end of the year.

Fuck Asimov, Clarke, Dick, Heilein, Bradbury...

Like I always say, if it aint Lav Diaz then cya-z

>Non-linear time perception
>Future influencing things in the past
I liked it all except that plot. The aliens had solid design, even the language in was little as it was presented was interesting, but the ultimate "plotpoint" felt just too fantasylike for me.

I did like the what I assume is intentional "split namedropping of" Ian Banks with the romance of Ian Something physicist and Louise Banks.

>I said them in Chinese
This is bad why? It has already been established that Louise is a polyglot who knows Mandarin, and it would make sense for the general's wife's last words to be in chink.

The real problem I'd like to add besides what I said , I forgot to add
>Aliens land
>Rogue soldiers fucking manage to get a shitton of explosives in the entrance hall of the aliens
>Nobody realizes this until they go kaboom

All my what