Is this the greatest jazz album ever?

Is this the greatest jazz album ever?

No, but it’s pretty wild. Definitely a rockist choice for best jazz album ever tho

Nope. This is.

Kamasi Washington- The Epic is the best ever

This isn’t even in his top 5

idk but it's incredible
the way the songs unfold then come apart is just mind blowing

But his top 5 is this, Mr.Hands, Man Child, Thrust, and Headhunters.

What did you think his top 5 is?

This.

>no Sextant, Crossings, Mwandeshi, or anything pre funk era
H O W

Because his funk era was the best era.
What's your top 5?

No, but it's the best Miles album. My vote for best jazz album is pic related

actual best jazz album coming through

I just told you three of them, only add in Head Hunters and Empyrean Isles

Honorary status to Futureshock for being so forward thinking

>best Miles album
>anything but On the Corner
shameful. Good choice tho

This is a fucking jam

>Honorary status to Futureshock
Literally one of his worst though. Only tracks worth listening to were the singles.

Sound System did the shtick a lot better just for Karabali and Junku.

>tfw the build up in spanish key before the first modulation
seriously though i have been listening to this album at least once a day for the past 5 months. it's incredible

>Considers On the Corner best Miles album

>Knows Alkebu-Lan

listen to this individual, they have taste.

I’m a big jazz nut. Listening to Phil Woods - at the Frankfurt Jazz Festival right now on LP. Shit’s wild but not totally free. Give it a listen sometime

>Give it a listen sometime
The album art is pretty hip, will check it out.

Freddie Hubbard and Ilhan Mimaroglu's "Sing Me a Song of Songmy" is recommended back at ye. A rare jazz + electroacoustic fusion albums, very unique.

Let's imagine a hypothetical situation for a minute.

Imagine your favorite genre eventually loses almost all popularity and relevance but you still love it. It has a small but dedicated fanbase and there are still a lot of good artists, but almost nobody cares about them. Then lets imagine some kid gets somewhat famous for doing features on popular artist's albums and then decides to release an album in your favorite genre. Wow! It's a huge hit and everybody's talking about it. The problem is that the album is insultingly bad, almost a parody of your favorite genre clearly meant to appeal to people who have never listened to good music from your favorite genre.

Ok, that's a bit annoying but not a big deal right? Hey maybe people will start looking deeper into your favorite genre? Nope, it turns out the vast majority of people listen to this one album by this sad excuse for an "artist" and talk about him as though he is saving the genre and is one of the all-time greats. You go on your favorite music board and anytime your favorite genre is brought up, someone is there ready to talk about how he is saving the genre.

So you try to politely point out what you find lacking in his music and explain in detail why you find it below average. You even list off better artists for people to look into! But it doesn't matter because as soon as you say the slightest negative thing about him, everybody labels you a "genre autist" and an "elitist" and the discussion stops there.

You don't think you would find that the least bit frustrating?

I own that album actually! Love how wild Freddie gets on it.

If you can groove with that, you should check out Harry Partch. He’s a classical composer, but very similar in some ways to that album. You’d probably dig the Art Ensemble of Chicago if you’re not hip to that

>you should check out Harry Partch.
> You’d probably dig the Art Ensemble of Chicago
Familiar with both. Harry was one of the musicians that got me into modern classical and experimental music, actually.

Have a few Art Ensemble albums too.

Now I have to find somethin' that you haven't listened to to repay the Phil Woods favor...

Bengt Berger's "Bitter Funeral Beer"?

Oh! Or possibly, since it's one o' them obscure gems, Mujician and the Georgian Ensemble - The Bristol Concert is highly recommended and something you may not have heard before.

Never heard of that at all, so i’ll add that to my queue. Thanks friendo

I sold this album to two people over the weekend, so you need it too: Roy Meriwether - Nubian Lady

I'm actually not that wild about in the corner, but I do like some of the tracks recorded during those sessions that were released on Get Up With It, Big Fun, and the complete OtC sessions.

Rated X is one of the best tracks Miles ever cut.

That’s a respectable response

Have you heard much of Ornette’s 70s output?

stop

No responses on this but I respect you man, thanks for being being reasonable on here

Only Science Fiction (fucking love it) and bits of Dancing in your Head (not sold on it yet).

actual best Miles Davis album coming through

>How to Fall Asleep: The Album
>Best
max par, my man

That's not Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers, user; but it's a good pick for Miles.

I'm willing to say that he had, arguably, the best ensemble of musicians he'd have on more or less all of his albums; the Complete In a Silent Way Sessions box set is fucking great

sorry wrong image

The Black Saint and the Singer Lady by a large margin

meant Sinner

Mingus Ah Um is better

You should check out Body Love and Live at the Caravan of Dreams.

Dancing in Your Head is actually my favorite, ao that’s kinda funny

Except it isn't