What makes an album cover catch your eye?

What makes an album cover catch your eye?

a benis and only a benis

how big is this?

If it looks good

Triangles

This sounds like a joke considering OP but this is an actual answer

Good image composition takes the form of a triangle connectinf focal points

covers that reference others is a huge fetish of mine, like how pic related does to the doors

only serious responses so far

Detailed shit.

Ergo like pic related, Helplessness Blues, Revolver, etc.

this is interesting, but wouldn't catch my eye from a distance or passing glance

anyone?

Stands out. Should give a sense of what the album sounds like.

Mostlyjust abstract Picasso-style stuff or nice landscapes for me.

doors debut rip off

Good use of negative space, bold colours and an obvious focal point. GOOD.

tits

Exotic and unusual design features, clear theme, appeals to your audience (stoners). GOOD.

Confused, schizophrenic and inconsistent design. Looks cool, but you literally glued four covers together. MEDIOCRE.

>that reading comprehnsion

NO REDEEMING FEATURES AT ALL.

Yep, Revolver is such a god tier cover

idc about the cover i care about the music

Right, thinking about some of the world's most famous album covers - Unknown Pleasures, Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, In The Court of the Crimson King, The Velvet Underground and Nico, Ramones s/t...

They're easily recognizable, generally using two to three main signs. For example, Abbey Road uses the synchronized crossing photographed at that specific angle. Comparatively, something like Unknown Pleasures uses the black background and the series of lines as its main calling card.

Other more modern examples include Gorillaz's Demon Days and Brand New's The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me - if you isolate the main signs, is the cover still recognizable and attractive?

For example, consider parody shirts, like the many variations of Abbey Road. Essentially, if the cover can be turned into a parody or a homage, it's a good cover. One of the main signs of Sgt. Pepper's cover being that good is that We're Only In It For The Money, released not long after, parodies the hell out of it.

Oh I dunno but let me frogpost about a trope:

>The front album cover presents a memorable image of some kind; a definite "tableaux", possibly a picture of the band in some photographed set or something

>the artwork on the back of the album is a similar, possibly humorous "variation on the theme" of the front album art: the same actors and props depicting an after-party fade, the "machine" or "stuff" on the front has sputtered down and collapsed, etc

Kek this triggers me hard too

good post

the music that I heard being good

but what albums can you guys think of that you would recognize from across the room?

court of the crimson king probably

true, any others besides the obvious classics?

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, The Devil And God, Going Blank Again.

great album, one of my favorites of this year

Mezzanine, any Aphex Twin lol

something with funny jew man and muzzie

Terrific organic and oriental sound. I've preordered the LP reissue!

>inb4 that one pink floyd album

this is the question that is important

the cow one?

was talking about all of them hoy hoy hoy

AHM is great though

handsome men

they're all good desu
except AMLOR, that album is a fucking piece of shit

it's sounds even more dated then PATGOD

AIDA

Attention
Interest
Desire
Action

usually this translates to:

1) A bold, striking (usually simple) image
2) That quickly indicates the genre/mood/aesthetic of the album
3) That contains an element of the strange/otherworldly/unusual/interesting
4) And which leaves a compelling air of mystery that invites you to investigate further

just want to add, I said usually simple, but that's not always the case; when many albums are going for a simple cover, covers like can sometimes be more striking

it's all about standing out

what are some examples of simple albums that stand out and what are examples of more complex ones that stick out to you?

originality
quirkiness
strictness (it has to resemble the music in some way)

any examples ?

Demon Days is not a famous album cover. That's revisionism. It's a rip of the 4 tile band member cover done on stuff like Let it Be.

true

very small

very smoall

aesthetically beautiful women

hope this is a troll

Shouldn’t this thread be on /gd/?

looks average

Solid colors, bright colors, simplicity or creative design

not all of these have to be present

best answers so far

best answer

Something like some of Radiohead's covers
Kid A especially
Something that establishes an art style and sets a mood
Like, Kid A is a simple, yet gloomy mountainscape
But besides the gloominess, the simplicity and isolation is almost calming and comforting
And it's reflected perfectly by the songs, everything feels like isolation, but a kaleidoscope of emotions that can come from it, comfort, safety, no worries, but also depression, pain, and longing for something more
Mix it with the MTV blips and it makes for an interesting experience

I mean, you're technically not wrong, but it has taken on a bigger meaning than Let It Be