What is the best stand up special of all time?

What is the best stand up special of all time?

Also, possibly unrelated, what is Bill Burr's best? Keep hearing how great he is, want to start off right.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-brdPTBNQBo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

best of all time. thats a really debatable question.

bill burr's best.. i dunno either "Why Do I Do This" or "Let It Go"

i hear he has a new one in the works so theres that to look forward to.

>best of all time. thats a really debatable question.
I know, that's why I asked. What's your favorite, user? I want to hear opinions

norm mcdonald "me doing stand up". but i have new favorite every few years.

I'd say, for me anyway, either one of Dave Chappelle's specials, or that last and possibly only one that Greg Giraldo did. Those are the ones I remember with the most laughs. Patrices special was also a great one too though.

i dont have a favorite (im lying i do but im not gonna tell you) but two that i feel like are great and would recommend to anyone who hasnt seen much standup are as follows...

dave chappelle's - For What It's Worth
&
doug stanhope's - No Refunds

if youre any kind of a standup fan youll probably have seen at least one if not borth already. but theyre both up there imo.

do you computer genius racist losers watch standup with me every night?

late george carlin

Did Bill Burr become a star because of Breaking Bad? I feel like he suddenly got this reputation for being the best comic alive but I feel like he got that rep recently. Is he really just that good? Has he had that reputation since Breaking Bad? or did it really just spring up recently for no reason? I'm interested.

I used to go to a local stand up show in Eastern Canada every week, that got me really into standup comedy. It's interesting to see the same group of people do a set every week but note how they switch up their timing and delivery, and see them try out new material. It's fun. it got me into watching specials.

Raw

i knew about burr before breaking bad. i was pleased to see him getting work but was surprised because i didnt expect to see a comedian working a drama. he was good in it tho.

Elephant in the Room is my favorite.

I started watching Midlife Vices out of the blue earlier and its fucking hilarious.

You People Are All The Same is probably Burr's best special, but they're all great. I'd say Why Do I Do This is second, I'm Sorry You Feel That Way third, otherwise it's bunches of bits and pieces from smaller bits and Conan

Louis CK circa 2007-2010 was pretty flawless as a standup comedian (Shameless, Chewed Up and Hilarious), but it's kind of all tainted now because of 2011-2016 Louis CK

I agree, he did a good job with his role. Admittedly it's how I heard of him first, but I didn't know he was a comedian until about a year later. I still thought he was funny in Breaking Bad though, despite the fact that he didn't play an overly humorous character. Do you have a favorite Burr special?

ck had a bit about rodents in his most recent comedy store special that fucking killed me. his crying kid bit was good too. he's still on point imo.

he was really funny before he started self censoring. kinda sad.

why do i do this or let it go. both are equally great.

either of Chappelle's or Chris Rock's Never Scared.

as much of a cuck as he's been memed to be id consider Louis CK but I'd have to go back and watch them to really make a decision.

my dark horse is Mulaneys first special. but both were great

never found his show funny. just like a curb without larry

are louis stand ups better than his show

Killin' Them Softly or Bring the Pain

Chapelle is fucking great. Burr has a couple great ones too bad he cucked himself into marriage and now let's his ghetto cunt wife ruin the podcast.

Chewed Up and Hilarious are great, I really like Dylan Moran to be honest. And Jim Jefferies has one really good one too.

The most popular normie shit is legit trash mostly though. I.e. ansari / schumer / and the other flavors of the week or memes.

yes

Yes, watch Shameless

My cousin keeps fucking saying "HHHHOT POCKETS" in reference to Jim Gaffigan. Is it funny or should I tell him to stop being a faggot and liking unfunny comedy?

colin quinn's one man shows are also really good. topical humor but i count them as stand up.

it's funny in the way that Carlos mencia was funny when you were 10

he's the carlin of his generation if you can look past the memes

wew

Was anyone else surprised at how fucking unfunny Joe Rogan is on stage? He's not an unwitty guy candidly or even on his podcast, but he just fucking flat out tries to be Dane Cook in his standup and it doesn't work.

being a stand up comedian requires being somewhat of a performer. that's why Dane cook got so popular. he was a legitimate stage act. Rogan can't stop being a person. so the guy he is on stage is the guy he is 24/7 so condensing him into an hour of him TRYING to be funny is a bad recipe

Under rated is Christopher Titus and Christian Finnegan

It's funny, I had almost word for word the same thought in my head the other night watching the recent Kill Tony he was on. Tony was just there doing his job hosting the show and Joe was wondering about the evolutional reasoning for why x does y and going into stories and anecdotes and studies and shit and I just realized "He just can't fucking help himself; he just doesn't realize, or if he does he doesn't give a shit, about the fact that he's there to be funny and not think about everything".

I think he really does try his best and he watches the GOATS and watches his favorites and when he goes on stage he tries to take the best bits from them and use them in his act, but he just can't help being Joe Rogan and making "funny" faces.

He's a much more interesting guy than he is funny.

yep. he's definitely just more funny interesting than funny funny

I like him, but he's not particularly great or anything.
Kind of a guilty pleasure. I can see how anyone imitating it would be annoying though.

Burr got popular because of his podcast which is fucking hilarious. Way better than his specials.

His specials are basically a summary of the shit he talks about in his podcast

Yeah it's super weird. He really seems like he's hilarious irl, and he's a great/funny/motivational guy to be around, and I don't mean that in a stereorypical Mr. Sunshine way; but he generally seems, from what I've seen of him, to be a really, REALLY optimistic guy. Granted, I've only seen him in his podcast or whatever he puts into the public light, but still. Seems really odd that he seems like a super cool and funny dude if you know him, but his standup is so tryhard and unfunny it's just weird

that being said, Triggered is his best yet. It's not great, but it's his best.

Any particular episodes that stick out in your mind to check out first?

Jim Jeffries and Bill Burr is good. Earlier CK Louis is pretty good. Bill Hicks is worth a watch
George Carlin is a definite must watch.

Bill Hicks - Relentless, Revelations
Jim Jeffries - Alcoholocaust, Fully Functional, Bare
George Carlin - Back in Town (If you're hungry for more, just work your way through his specials from here up till his death)
Eddie Griffin - You Can Tell 'Em I Said It

>make up my mind for me
yeah nah
fuck off

I'm asking whether he's good or not so I know whether or not to watch the HHHHOT POCKETS special you hipster faggot.

he is a very talented stand up, but I don't like his material. if that makes sense

My man, Titus's optimistic and happy delivery of the fucked up shit hes been through is great.

Not even american but his maga special (I cant remember its name) is pretty mint.

it does, but it doesn't mean a lot to me unless you give me context of your taste

Just watch it you weak willed faggot

but why would I sit through an hour and a half of something I don't like

Not all of us have 24 hours a day to sit around watching Seinfeld repeats.

>no ron white
everything that dude said fuckin killed me. was i the only one? or does everyone here ignore him since he slummed around on tour with git 'er done?

gaffigan's a goddamn riot

I saw one of his specials years ago that was really great. I think he was drinking scotch the whole show.

Literally my dad's favorite comedian after George Carlin, but he is pretty good.

This user knows what's up.

I've really liked John Mulaney recently. I don't think he's the best or anything, but pretty good.

eddie murphy delirious.

I love him and saw him live.

his specials are definitely better but I love that he just gets progressively more drunk and ridiculous throughout his standup. super funny guy who unfortunately got attributed a shitty following with the blue collar comedy crowd who thought tater salad was history book worthy

i saw him live. he smoked a cigar the whole time and he drank a fifth of scotch in an hour. by the end he couldn't pronounce the word "pacific". it was great.

do we have the same dad?

Did your dad die in 2009 for heavy drinking? Then yes we do.

>let's his ghetto cunt wife ruin the podcast
How so? I'm not an avid listener.

Delirious is the superior standup show.

>dave chappelle's - For What It's Worth

This

underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=-brdPTBNQBo

I've never seen anyone talk about him but I love Gary Gulman's "In This Economy?". He just put out a new one within the past few months, and while I didn't think it was as good, I rather enjoyed it. It's tough to say why I love his standup, but I just like the way his brain seems to work.

Another one I never see talked about is Nick Thune's "Folk Hero."

As for Bill Burr? I'd probably say Let it Go.

Sam Kinison is good. Went from being a preacher to the biggest comedian of the time.

Bill burr has been doing his podcast every week for like 10 years so it's prety difficult to pinpoint any best episode reccomendations. I'd suggest listening to the 5 most recent ones. Once you get on board it feels like you're basically involved in his life which can be kind of weird after prolonged periods of listening to his podcast. The format is mostly just him talking about shit he finds weird, sports and shit that he recently experienced. After listening for the last year or so I feel like I know him more then i know some of my friends. And a lot of the shit he says(or the way he says it) has stuck with me. whenever I hear RECRUITER i think of him. Same with Meundies and the patriots. Hell, even i've started saying shit like he says it because it works so well. Connor mcgregor, Oh here we go, GROSS, and so many more.

I do have to admit, some episodes can be a bit too much rambling, especially when he gets really into his sport talk. OK WE GET IT, PATRIOTS ARE 4-0, GET ONTO SOMETHING FUNNY... Then again, he doesn't owe me anything, it's his fuckin podcast.

This is Burr kino

Also is captcha shitting the bed for anyone else?

Something to Take the Edge Off by Doug Stanhope is my favorite comedy special and/or album of all time, but there are lots of great ones.

As for favorite "underrated" comedy special I have to give that to A Good Catholic Boy by Richard Jeni. That guy was such a pro and he gets looked past a lot in terms of great comedians.

>not acknowledging the GOAT Live in Concert/on Sunset Strip
Y'all niggas crazy

High in Church is better than everything listed in this thread so far.

gary gulman is a sleeper hit, im not really sure how to describe him either. He's not exactly hilarious but listening to him is just comfy

nick thune is funny though i can't help but think of him as a poor mans demetri martin or stephen wright

burr of course is hilarious

im gonna give this a go. you better not disappoint me user.

youve gotta be a shill. youre the comedian himself or some shit.

cuz not only is standup comedy that involves music (bo burnham being the exception) or drawing fucking trash. but that special was especially garbage as fuck.

youve gotta be the comedian who made that special i dont even remember what his pointless name is but i know its you cuz nobody else would ever bring that shit up in a best of comedy conversation.

>English "comedians"

nah, for some reason I can't do it m8

The comedian's name is Trevor Walton Moore, and no, I'm not him, I'm an independent observer who just happens to recognize the solid fact that High in Church is downright freaking hilarious (and better than everything posted so far).

I know im going to get shit for this but ive been a longtime fan of Patton Oswald, I am aware some people hate him for politics but I dont give a shit he had an almost flawless string of specials until the last one, the last one wasnt bad but wasnt great either....

I think Finest Moment is easy top 10 best special of all times.

also one comedian that is criminally underrated is Paul F.tompkins, I could hear him tell a story for hours but sadly doesnt have too much specials out, Laboring under delussions is a must see.

>longtime fan
>doesn't even know how to spell his name

For all intensive purposes, this guy is pretty funny and I don't think he has a bad stand-up routine,

eh, he's alright, but he's no Jeff Dunham

>Paul F.tompkins

I just don't "get" him, is he supposed to be fake high-brow? I just seems he's very generic. Not bad, just generic.

sorry im not american and im high as shit at the moment but you know what I mean.

Also surprisingly there is a guy called Capparullo, watch his special Meet Cap you will like him.

okay i cant take away from you whatever it is you found funny about that special. ive seen it. i fucking despised it.

what i will call you on is claiming that garbage is better than everything else mentioned in this thread. that statement is blasphemy.

and last but not least, that special was trash as fuck.

>for all intensive purposes

Fucks sake Americans, read a book.

mainstream stand-up comedy is dead.

the only people who get tv deals and specials are those who push a certain narrative.

subtle political satire is dead; the only comedians given the resources to be successful are the ones who promote progressive ideology and moral degeneracy

the goal is to inoculate the people further and further to the left, by exposing them to increasingly radical beliefs, and ridiculing anyone who disagrees

it's not funny

you understood his intent and purpose and thats all that matters right?

kek

people call him edgy but i find him hilarious

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

What's Sup Forums's opinion on this britfag

>Do Mr. Rob!
>Shut up bitch!
>Y'all didn't know I was a ventriloquist too

He's alright I watched 2 specials, I put him in the "grim comedian" catergory but I gotta say Peter Tosh is better.

I doubt you've seen it.

Name three of the funniest routines, if you've seen Trevor Moore's High in Church.

shit like that is what makes comedy fucking great.

palindrome digits dont lie

I don't know why all the 'I'm so fucked up and did drugs and alcohol all the time and it was awesome but horrible' comedians all seem so awful and forced to me. His delivery seems shit too, it could be the accent though.

dude this is some lonely island bullshit gtfo

dude i just realized. im soooo soooo sorry. i dunno what i was thinking. its fucking absurd for me to be arguing with you about this. your opinion is obviously donkey shit. i dont know why i was taking you seriously. sorry dude, i apologize.

I can usually forgive political differences (most of comedians are pretty liberal), but Patton Oswalt official entered my shit list when he joined the anti-James Rolfe bandwagon. Not only that, but when people on Twitter hit back, he tried to immediately tried to downplay what he was doing, which was attacking him over something so trivial.

I'm not a rabid fan of Cinemassacre but James Rolfe has always been the nicest guy online and didn't deserve being paraded around like he was.

Now that fucking picture is pure comedy.

yeah dude i just realized hes kidding. he couldnt possibly be serious. unless hes the comedian himself or related to him then theres just no way.

Talk in lowercase some more, it makes your uninformed non-opinion about High in Church that much more convincing.

It's "for all intents and purposes."

youre on a fucking jellyfish politics photography website at 2am you fucking self righteous faggot.

Hang yourself with a garden hose.

I found "Thoughts and Prayers" to be pretty damn funny. I can see why someone might think he's edgy, but I think there's a real place for dark humor. Plus, despite sticking to that one type of humor, his jokes aren't that predictable.