Anyone have tips on how to run cables up through a a wall...

Anyone have tips on how to run cables up through a a wall? My routers set up in my basement and I wanted to see if I could feed an Ethernet cable up to my room on the second floor. Good news is the router and my room share a wall.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/My5cchZSK_g
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AWRUICG/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1520186929&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ethernet plug&dpPl=1&dpID=41kDSQg6WIL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dont just drill a small hole. Cut one for an outlet. Put a magnet on the wire and toss it down. Use something metal in the other room to get the wire.
Youll probably be unlucky and there will be a floor between levels though

>unlucky

There's no luck involved, it's how houses are built. Your walls are not hollow passages. they are a frame of 2X4's. so yes, there is 100% of the time a floor between levels.

OP, to do this you need to cut out a square of drywall large enough for you to work with a drill inside, drill a hole through the 2x4 and sub floor and 2x4 of the wall frame for the floor below, you'll need a long drill bit, then feed your wire through, and repeat on the next floor down.
If these are interior walls of the house, you shouldn't have to worry about insulation.
Once done, repair your drywall.
Not a hard thing to do, but you'll need some materials and time.

Do it right and use a wall jack. You may as well do one on the first floor as you will have to rip out drywall anyway.

Or you could just WiFi

Go through the crawlspace. basically drill hole in floor at point A and point B. run wire under house.

fuck off retard

Ask a friendly mouse to run the cable for you

These are all pretty helpful. I used to do this sort of stuff for a living. Usually much more complicated wiring installations, but lots and lots of fishing wires through walls. OP, is the basement finished? If not, it's easy-peasy.

The basements finished, unfortunately.

no probs. i can walk you through it. got a few minutes?

He's on Sup Forums. He has time.

right. okay first thing is locate where you're going to run the wire through the wall. it has to be in the same place, same portion of the wall space between the same studs for this to work. that means getting out your measuring tape and taking some measurements from a spot you can locate in both the top and bottom floor. could be a corner of a room, whatever. once you're sure you know where both the holes are going to go, you cut holes. the holes are going to be cut to fit a drywall electrical box. check out this video on how to install one of those:

youtu.be/My5cchZSK_g

drill a hole the size of a quarter and run the cable up. Everything in my house runs from the basement and comes through small holes, including a cable going up to the second floor feeding into a router

Why is your router in the basement? Lmao

make sure you don't make em too big. easy to make the hole bigger; too big and you'll have to patch. the hole on the top floor where you'll eventually run the wire through a nice trim plate is going to be very close to the floor. reason for this is that you are going to have to drill a hole through the wood at the bottom of the wall space, so that the wall spaces on the top floor and bottom floor are connected. for this you'll need a nice long drill bit. like a 1" diameter or so; could be bigger, but needs to be long so that you can drill the hole through the floor plate with the drill outside the wall and the bit going through the hole you just cut in the drywall. once this hole is drilled, you cut your hole in the basement drywall just like the first one, sized for a drywall electric box. (don't install the boxes yet though; you do that at the end.) once both your drywall holes are cut and your hole through the floor plate is drilled, you get to go fishing!

Maybe he wants it there? People tend to have different opinions than you, you know

Never seen an old balloon framed house?

Yeah sure

I've heard bad things about routers being near your head, don't wanna get ionized, y'know

Look to see if there is an existing chase running from the basement up. Otherwise just run the wire outside and up the house. Easiest way. Cable/phone companies do this all the time. Run it through the window or drill a hole through the exterior wall somewhere convenient. Going through 2 floors like that is a lot of unnecessary work but if you must, try n find a closet and drill a hole through the floor/floors and be done with it. Good luck

damn these are dope. if i didnt rent id have these in all rooms

Only older homes were built like that. Fire code won’t allow air passages through floors anymore

(also note i forgot you tell you: you can cut the holes in the drywall with a simple drywall hand saw. you don't need a power tool for that) okay, you need to get from harbor freight or hardware store a tool for fishing wires. that yellow one in the picture i attached above is the kind i like. they are plastic poles you can screw together and attach the wire to to get it through the wall space. so once you have those, and you've screwed together enough so that they are long enough to go from the hole on the top floor to the bottom floor, you get some electrical tape and tape the wire you're fishing to one end of the pole-like tool. you stand at your hole on the top floor, feed the pole in and push it all the way down, with the wire taped up on the trailing end of the pole, not the leading end, and taped up in such a way that it will not come detached and it is as streamlined as possible so it doesn't hang up on stuff. then, you go down to the hole in the bottom floor and reach into the hole and grab your pole. pull it all the way through until you've pulled all the pole through and then the wire is through. make sure your wire is long enough! be generous. give yourself extra. then you've fished your wire! and all you have to do now is install the drywall electrical boxes as indicated in the video above and trim them out how you want. you decide how you're going to trim it (are you going to actually wire a nice network wire jack, like you'd see in a library or something? buy the stuff for that. or are you just going to get a plastic trim plate with a tiny hole in it like a savage? that works too, but it is, as i said, rather savage. so, your shit is all trimmed, with the trim plates covering the electrical box and the hole in the wall you cut for it, your shit looks nice a professional, and you have a couple handy new tools that you can use again some other time (wire fishing tool, drywall saw, perhaps a tool to terminate network cable, etc.) that's it!

get your fucking on fags. I run 5 of these best shit ever

questions?

This

i rent. i dont want to install those and then have to pull them out when i move. when i buy my own house ill install those with USB ports as well

are those extenders or just a hub?

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AWRUICG/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1520186929&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ethernet plug&dpPl=1&dpID=41kDSQg6WIL&ref=plSrch

Far easier methods

>drywall
amerifags and their cardboard homes

Ya, I hear you. It's pretty fucking difficult to pull something out of an outlet. That's why I never plug anything in, just in case I move someday

oh fucking goddamn it i just looked at your diagram again. you're going through two floors. sorry for being an idiot. run it on the exterior of the house like said. just like the cable company does. measure your holes carefully so they're going where you want them to. get a fitting to go in the hole and fit tightly around the cable you're running and caulk it up good so water doesn't get in. you'll install drywall electrical boxes on the interior just as before, but you won't have to fish the wire. get the right sized plastic electrical staples to tack it down to the outside. whether you get ones that screw in or just hammer in will depend on what the outside of your house is made out of. ask at the hardware store if you're unsure. that's about it! sorry for not reading more carefully

fuck this noise. do it once; do it right. run a cable.

anyways i'm out i got shit to do.

i was referring to the drywall box not a plug adapter. yes for now a plugged in adaptor would work fine, but when i own my own place i want those installed because i dont want a bunch of hsit plugged into outlets all the time. its cleaner to jsut wire it.

Yeah one guy just recommended this to me on /diy/, thanks

Or just plug that in and don't have to waste time with cables you nonce

Keep in mind the outlet the router connects to must be on the same circuit as the outlet op plugs his PC into. Not likely in this case. However I've used these before and they work just fine.

yeah taht seems to be an issue. plus if he's running it up from the basement to the second floor it'll probably lose strength and he'll end up with sub 100Mb speed

Yea, I watched 'Up'