3.5/5

3.5/5

Am I missing something? This movie seems to be universally loved among movie dweebs but it seems like it didn't age to well (much moreso than the man with no name trilogy, Persona, and other films from the same era)

>not rating it 4.25
fuck off

seriously though, it's a movie about the creative process. I feel like if you aren't a creative person, then it is likely to not make too much sense.

>movie dweebs

>man with no name triology and persona
how the fuck are those the two things of the same era you think of

Have you seen any Fellini before this? It's autobiographical, so of course it's a little self-indulgent, but I loved the blend of realism and surrealism, dat Nino Rota score, and how perfect it all comes together in the end.

If you haven't seen La Dolce Vita, try that one. If you don't like that, don't give up on Fellini yet, try Nights of Cabiria and La Strada, which are totally different.

I have a few creative hobbies and Synecdoche N.Y. was one of my favourite movies of all time so that's definitely not holding me back from enjoying it.

>how the fuck are those the two things of the same era you think of
All of the movies I listed were made in the mid 60s.

I guess that's fair. I could definitely tell I'd appreciate the movie more if I had seen some more of his work.

that other user is probably right, this is defnitly a very Fellini film, so understanding his work in a more approachable setting will help you appreciate this.

>All of the movies I listed were made in the mid 60s.
it's jsut a bizarre list, spaghetti westerns and bergman, not really what i think when i think 60s film

I had a postmodernism professor who made us watch this over and over and over...

AND

No, it's excellent, enormously influential and holds up.

They're just the most iconic movies from the 60's with similar budgets. The ones I listed seemed to age much better than 8½, although I guess I should watch more Fellini before coming to any conclusions.

No, it makes sense if you're a poseur middlebrow. If you're a normal person or a real artist, it's pretty bad. Smug self-congratulation from a vulgarian newspaper guy with nothing left to say except his own name.

Nope, only on shit, and it was always terrible. Only the unserious rate him.

>real artist
cringe

>faith
>purpose
>madonna/whore complex
>the creative process/legacy
>absurdity

these are timeless and poignant and executed beautifully

No, I mean an actual, been paid for it, been exhibited to paying audiences, been programmed in festivals, artist. An actual one. Not a fedora who marathons Werner Herzog videos.

None of these are seriously or originally addressed in the film. You are mentally a child.

So far you're just a pretentious dickhead, no real insight. Sad!

nothing but condescension, thanks for the contribution

>says the shitposter on Sup Forums

Why don't you go ahead and say he was an existentialist professor too? Why do people just name-drop shit even if they're doing it randomly and embarrassingly improper like?

la dolce vita is better

Ok here it goes eight and a half in layman's terms
You watch this and you think "man this man can't possibly make a film", in a way the main character's frustration seeps into the overall structure and makes it seem like a pointless and disjointed movie made by someone who didn't know what to do
That's when Fellini comes into play, he knows exactly what he's doing, he knows perfectly how to make a movie, so much in fact that he's making and incredibly surreal dark comedy about writer's block that's not his own, it does everything "artistic" films do, it's psychologically rich, filled with allegories and visual references and it tackles subjects like the purpose of film as art, entertainment and industry without ever taking itself seriously.