Armond White on Arrivel

>On another level, though, Arrival holds interest because Villeneuve and Heisserer branch out from sci-fi and deliver subtle commentary on the state of news-media manipulation. Unexpectedly, they leap into a timely problem: how narrative is used to affect public perception. In one scene that sets the film apart from standard blockbuster spectacles, Banks has a phone conversation with her mother: “Please don’t bother with that damned channel. How many times do I have to tell you, those people are idiots?”
>It’s unclear whether Banks is referring to CNN, MSNBC, or the oft-maligned Fox News — Arrival conspicuously avoids that common practice of employing familiar TV-news faces (performers who, despite being recognizable, are less than personalities), and it uses no network-news logos, eschewing Hollywood’s loathsome, unprincipled habit of product-placement. What a relief — and a release — from the usual, hegemonic collusion of mainstream media and Hollywood.

nationalreview.com/article/442107/arrival-movie-emotionally-engaging-look-media-manipulation

But how many times does he bring up Obama?

The use of real network news logos and talking heads depends on which studio makes the movie, I think.

Batman/Superman was heavy on the CNN pundits - Anderson "Company man" Cooper narrating the arrival of Doomsday wtf

Batman/Superman was made by Warner Brothers.
A subsidiary of TimeWarner.
Which also owns CNN.

This would also be another avenue for Hollywood creative accounting, if WB have to pay CNN for licensing its logos and shit then this 'cost' that they have recorded is really just going right back to their parent company.

It also had Comedy Central stuff, which is Viacom (that is, not WB (I think)).

Can he make a review without mentioning "post 9/11 terrorism fear" everytime?

It's getting silly now.

Jesus Armond

politics in every review

To be fair he's writing for NR. It wasn't like that when he was writing for general entertainment and culture mags.

What do you call it when niggers turn the backs on their kikelords?

lel
Remember when Armond ruined Roots' perfect score?

lol

He's a homosexual black dude who was raised in a jewish neighborhood and writes for conservative and gay websites

Dude's a madman

How butthurt do you have to be about the election to bring up Donald Trump in your film review?

Armond was always silly.

>liked Hacksaw Ridge
>liked Arrival
Is there a more based critic of our time? I think not!

he liked it huh? being a contrarian can only take you so far

i love this dude

How you gonna do Brad like that? :'(

Most critics like these movies. This is not a contrarian opinion .

>ARRIVAL is this decade's CONTACT, or rather this year's INTERSTELLAR. Big, serious, silly, well-meaning pacifist Sci-Fi about how humanity "lost its way" instead of working towards common good, which is apparently all that aliens have on their minds (except, perhaps, when they are designing their cool-looking aircraft that you practically hear Steve Jobs smooth-talking you into purchasing). >There's not a patch of sky in Denis Villeneuve's films that wouldn't be overcast, not a moment of silence that wouldn't be pregnant with meaning ("What meaning?", you may ask; well, it doesn't matter, as long as people on the screen are frowning and looking dead-serious.) The movie gets ** stars from me; Amy Adams is good as expected.

Should I watch this or Hacksaw Ridge later today?

HR unless you're a sci fi guy.

Hacksaw Ridge is just more muh martyrdom from Gibson. Arrival at least looks interesting.

Hacksaw Ridge, Villenueve is shite, a nothing director.

See both because theyre both great in different ways.

If you like drama, watch Arrival. If you like sci-fi action watch Hacksaw.

kek

You're really not that wrong.