Someone explain this fucking meme album to me

i just don't get it. i've listened to the entire thing like three times. each time was pure fucking torture. this is literally the only album that i can say is objectively bad in every single way. the vocals and lyrics are fucking awful, the band sounds like they were all playing different songs at the same time. why does this album recieve so much praise? all i've heard is
>it's so bad that it's actually good man you just dont get it ur not smart enough
give me a legitimate reason this album should be considered a classic

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It filters out plebs

maybe you will understand it when you turn 18

oh look it's this thread again

>Pleb opinion: This album awful
>Pseud opinion: This album is the best thing ever
>Patrician opinion: This album is an interesting approach to delta blues, but nothing more

Some people are into that sort of thing user. It's like foot fetishes or scat fetishes.

Go listen to some jazz or some classical or some blues or some math rock or even some noise, then come back after you're exposed to one of those genres and listen to it again. It'll be an hour and a half auditory orgasm, trust me. This is one of the only albums where you need to be conditioned into knowing how to listen to it.

>the band sounds like they were all playing different songs at the same time.
Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

not an argument
>interesting approach
how so?
i'll try this but you better not be meming me into another shitty listen

>This album is an interesting approach to delta blues, but nothing more
this is the pseud opinion
the patrician opinion is knowing its importance and contributions to music, as well as understanding why people would like it
whether you like it or not is irrelevant, as a true patrician listens to whatever he likes

if you played an instrument or maybe understood music you would like it more

Even without being familiar with those genres, you can better understand TMR just by becoming familiar with it through active listening. If someone just puts it on in the background while playing a game or doing something that's not focusing on the music, they won't get much out of it. It's only once you understand the piece of music as a whole, that you can start to dissect it and appreciate the individual parts which it's made of.

safe as milk is unironically better

>only listened to it three times
how about you come back when you've marathon'd this album for an entire day, you casual plebeian

>i'll try this but you better not be meming me into another shitty listen
yeah. listen to all of the "essential" albums from one of those genres and get kind of a feel for what's going on, before coming back to tmr. Also, check out safe as milk and clear spot by beefheart. those albums have some of what's going on in tmr, but it's a lot easier on the ears for someone who isn't familiar with it. Also, a listening tip is to just focus on one instrument throughout the entire album. It'll help you figure out how the instruments interact with each other, so it doesn't just sound like a massive sonic mess.

Just to add onto this comment, try listening to the track Moonlight On Vermont, which is one of the more accessible/structured tracks. Listen to it a few times and focus on a different instrument each time. While at first, it will sound like a mess of random instruments, each playing something completely different, after a while you will interpret it as a singular piece, and the result is really rewarding.

Its a fucking fish you idiot

Sugar and Spikes is also very accessible

Only psueds think this album is just a zany blues album. While clearly influenced by delta blues, Trout Mask Replica does something completely different.

some things to consider: don's voice is one of the fucking best blues voices of all time, if not the best. try listening to that for a sec if you can't into anything else. then, check out some free jazz and see how everything kinda 'works' despite the clunkiness/messiness. same kinda ethos for TMR, the songs are actually pretty sweet in terms of arrangement and composition, it's just kinda janky and out of time but it 'works'

bump

>based anons calling out pseudposter
Git gud

Theres articles and videos just to guide people like you so that you dont have to make this thread everyday. The internet is your friend user

>this is literally the only album that i can say is objectively bad in every single way
C'mon mate, Moonlight on Vermont, Pachuco Cadaver, Ella Guru, and Veteran's Day Poppy are groovy as hell and very accessible. If you didn't at least like a few songs like that I have to assume you're baiting or you just don't like blues rock.

he took blues and rock traditions and completely rebuild it into something new sounding.
some dont like the new sounding thing, others do. but the new sounding thing is
1) completely unique
2) incredibly complex, see youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
i probably cant convince you that besides this it does sound great as well, because that is entirely subjective,
but at least its originality and complexity are somewhat objective and reason enough for this album to be considered a classic

That preppy in the vid guy is great

>someone one Sup Forums being open minded
Wtf make a wish guys

>polyrhythms
>WTF IS THIS SHIT DAJSIDASJAVUASJDO

Being serious here, OP. Very few people actually "get" the album on first listen. Most people have to listen to it several times to start to appreciate it. The album just clicked for me last week after I came here and saw a thread about it and reminded of it existence. I had listened to it several times over the years but it had always sounded like garbage. This time I put it on though I was actually enjoying it. Ive been listening to it daily since that happened and I have a lot of its songs stuck in my head. Its not that I suddenly hear something that I haven't before, it still sounds bad but in a really cool and unique way. Sorry if this seems really vague but its part of the beauty of this album. Words really can't make it justice. Getting into this album is a really unique experience. It's definitely one of my favorite albums now.

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

Quite a feat to make an album which still confuses people 50 years later
Especially when it’s badically just a lopsided blues rock album

It is so much more than a lopsided blues rock album. For better or for worse, it is simply very different from any blues that exists because it's not a blues album. Blues inspired, yes, but there is so obviously more going on. Even if you think it's shit. People just say that because they feel they have a grasp on it and they like that they grasped it effortlessly, even though it all actually went right over their head.

Better question: original vinyl, '89 CD or '13 remaster?

Probably one of the most pretentious posts made on Sup Forums in a while. Please kill yourself.

Lopsided being the operative word obviously

And yeah it’s very lopsided but still very much in the idiom of blues rock, simply because there’s no more apt genre to call it

Maybe if someone had created a genre name at the time we’d be calling it that (like we call Squarepusher IDM and not drum & bass)

not understanding dada = pseud opinion

it doesnt use blues scales or progressions