clyp.it/bjhszpos
clyp.it/o1okg5rv
clyp.it/d24s51vc
clyp.it/batryk3a
youtube.com/watch?v=kVIYe_KeQD0
www58.zippyshare.com/v/Eaw7HMGX/file.html
clyp.it/nzcpqeox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone rec me some cheap starter mics for field recording? I've just ordered some Hydrophone mics and would like to use some better mics than the built in ones on my zoom h2n recorder?

Ok, so I've got monitors, a midi keyboard, an audio interface, a good desktop computer, and a few DAWs and plugins. What should I invest in next? I've been looking at the ms-20 mini, a prophet rev2, and an octatrack. The ms-20 is most in my budget but I think the octatrack would be useful for performances since I don't have a useful laptop.

Octatrack or another electron product would be the most versatile...also the most expensive. MS-20 is nice but would seem limited as its just a mono synth?
Korg electrodes might be worth a look. Arp odyssey maybe?

>/prod/ is dead
JUST

clyp.it/exripjlt

something i've been working on today
thoughts?

does anyone know why one of my sets won't produce sound? Yes, the audio outputs are correct, yes the audio is routed correctly

it's just this one set that's not making sound

could be broken. maybe check the power supply, idk

ayy lmao it would help if I turned my speakers on huh

ya dingus

wow...just wow...hardly a wonder /prod/ is dead

>/prod/ can never decide when it's dead for good
>trying to make a whole song in one Iris session
>being this full-blown retarded
Sincerely regret starting this, but I like what I've got too much to stop it.

Also, what would be a good way to practice phase inversion to isolate shit?

HAI GUIZ HOWDO I HOOK UP FRUITY LOOPZ TO MY SUBS SO I CAN GET SUM DAT BOOM BOOM PAP KUKU KACHOO, GNOMESAYING?

Get stems of a song (even one of your own), sum them together in a single file (with no effects obviously), and try to play with it by doing tasks like removing one or more parts at a time.
This should help you get an intuitive understanding of how the whole thing works.

Now get some repetitive song with no automation (think house music from 15+ years ago) and start copy-pasting stuff from empty parts into more full parts (with the phase inverted) to silence them (and therefore ending up with the rest of the stems without those that you copy-pasted).
Now do tasks like trying to extract one instrument by silencing everything else.

Remember to play with EQs too.
For example, if you need to isolate the vocals but there's hihats over them, go to a part where there's a clean hihat that's not covered by anything, use an EQ to remove the other instruments (like a bass or other drums) so you can then use the hihat on its own to remove those that cover the vocals.

Just keep in mind that the part that you copy has to be EXACTLY the same as the one you want to silence, otherwise it won't work.
And for this reason, with most modern songs it's very difficult to do this, as they're often full of automations and constantly changing stuff.

Or did you mean isolating stuff for other applications other than extracting stems?

I like weird shit. I make weird shit

clyp.it/05z2c4bm

Recently switched to REAPER after using Renoise for years. I tried Ableton Live but ended up going with REAPER after noticing how much better it is when it comes to flexibility and CPU usage.

It's definitely awesome but goddamn it can be esoteric to use. It's got so many options. I'd be fucked if it wasn't for the fucking awesome tutorial videos on YouTube.

About the only bad thing I can really say about it is it needs a better sampler. The one it comes with is very bare bones and can't do stuff like slicing samples and mapping the slices to keys, like I'm used to from Renoise.

Anyone else using REAPER?

well i actually went and printed out my EP cover tonight, next up gonna make few new tracks, burn them on CD and show off my demo somewhere for live feedback

naa just using fl stud and ableton for live recordin and mixing + melodies and everything atm, its kinda hard to switch program when youve gotten so used to one for me

very nice. cleeann.

>CD
What year is it?

I use it but all I ever do with it is just arrange recordings by hand into what I want, and then I manually move each quarter or eighth beat to the grid if it isn't good enough

dude i dont really care what year it is i wanna make a vinyl and a CD, digital only is so boring

hey /prod/, im green when it comes to all things music and im wondering what i can do to improve this mix.

do excuse the shitty guitar playing.

does this sound like autotune?
clyp.it/n0kb1l1r

i know this doesnt haha
vocaroo.com/i/s1PbTtbxlYsk

how to make sure i'm getting a realistic virtual instrument when i'm searching for one

just get kontakt

I've used it for a few recordings, some experimental doodaas and I did a 15 channel surround project for uni in it.

I fucking love Reaper. It's my Pro Tools but better.

Either this Or just download and listen to them.
Try and find out about the creator's reputation. There's a lot of shitty shitty VIs out there, some of them are shit but still interesting enough to be usable and some free ones are honestly totally mind blowing.

contradicting statements.
the second one is the the truth, since there's a whole universe full of horrible kontakt libraries

What's the best program to hook a midi keyboard into?

hauptwerk

Alright i'll give this a shot, what is the full process of getting a 3rd party vst into fl studio 12?

image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/basics_externalplugins.htm

clyp.it/ahwxw0vo

can't believe i forgot the link holy moly

too much inelegant repetition. structure too simple. flow is weak and you don't really have a reason to stick around very long.

So I've basically spent the last couple weeks working only in mono (by accident) on this song. Like I was still setting up panning and stereo eff3cts and stuff, but my output was mono the whole time and I didn't notice until yesterday. Roast me about the stereo image

clyp.it/tctq3cgj

Anything else?

relax, samuel

hows that clyp

cringy

jealous hater!

>trying to get some praise from random kids on the internet
well that only works if you don't suck, so how about you practice instead of spamming your shit

youtube.com/watch?v=2fWjpLmpyIQ

how about you practice instead of hating others' good work on /prod/

I'm making a raw checklist as I'm listening to it for my first time, if I write notes here I'm pausing it as I go:

1. guitars aren't soft enough, might need to adjust equalization on them to make them softer

2. drums too loud or rather feel too.. forceful. in fact a lot of things in the song feel too forceful, feels like things need to be softer in general

3. holy shit that electronic bridge intro

4. this shit is keeping me hooked, this is pretty damn good

5. when the guitar comes back in (I think this might be an issue with the non-electronic parts in general) it feels like it doesn't have full cohension with the song. earlier I was saying it sounds too forced and not soft enough, feels sort of the same here but I think I'm beginning to notice that the instruments feel slightly out of cohesion with the rest of the song somehow or another

6. definitely need to adjust those the levels on the clear guitar lead, it's too piercing. maybe too loud, maybe not soft enough in terms of mids/highs, maybe just both in general

7. excellent song structure over all. you hook the listener in and they just want to keep listening, save for the imperfections

8. yea, that guitar just needs more finesse in the play as well, more takes, more finesse, you want to avoid that "fret squeak" sort of sound that I keep hearing if possible

9. good ending, finesse issue with guitar again though. I feel like you don't need to fade out, fade outs are the poor man's outro. you could just end on some chords and slowed tempo perhaps.

so yea, I think the whole thing is great. great structure, great melody, lacks finesse, levels feel slightly off, some cohesion issues, but it's actually quite good. really good in fact.

Here's the original OP. Make sure you guys use it next time:

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson (embed)

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis (embed)

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

I purchased a Nektar Impact LX25 off the recommendation of a friend and it came with the Bitwig DAW. I'm unsure how to get to the 2 working together. Like, keyboard hooked up to computer running DAW, headset hooked into computer, but can't get noise to happen.

[spoiler] Yes I know it's a shitty newfag question save yourself the reply with that

What is REAPER used for? Is it only for recordinging audio or can it be used for electronic production?

yes you can use it for both you should try it the demo never runs out

Ok so I just met this guy who has some songs and wants me to help him make an Electronic/R&B/Indie rock album.
He just has lyrics and cowboy chords and i'd come up with arrangements and melodies, and maybe record stuff.
The references he kept showing are stuff like The Weeknd, Justin Bieber, Oasis, Maroon 5, Imagine Dragons, Rihanna.
Thing is, i have zero experience producing 100% electronic music, like the genres we see on /prod/ and soundcloud threads, or just using FL or Ableton. The only electronic shit i ever do is using basic VSTIs, mixed with real instruments, with no advanced sound design or filtering etc.
Also i have to come up with the melodies, hooks and arrangements.

help me prod

i use it for recording audio. i dont have experience with electronic production daws (ableton/FL) but i suppose reaper is limited in sound design resources in comparision to those specialized daws. i imagine youd have to use external vsts for everything

REAPER seems very popular with recording artists but it can definitely be used for electronic stuff.

It doesn't come with a lot of the stuff that comes with other DAWs like Ableton Live, like a full featured sampler or synths. That said, it's much cheaper than Live. Most people end up using a lot of third party plugins anyway, regardless of what DAW they use. Also, I'm glad REAPER doesn't come with a bunch of shitty sample packs like so many other DAWs. Does anyone ever actually use the samples that come packaged with other DAWs?

By far, the best things about REAPER are how smoothly it runs and how flexible it is. CPU and RAM use are far better in REAPER than Live, at least when I compared them. Any action can be set to keyboard and/or mouse shortcuts. Practically anything can be modulated/automated. Out of the box, it's not the most intuitive DAW but once you learn things and create a customized workflow, working with it can be very quick.

agreed
I'd buy a record/cd over a digital album even for a little more money

clyp.it/boxp2qaj

do these drums fit nicely with the sample?

btw why do i feel guilty when i sample, its like
stealing but you get to create cool shit

reaper > cubase
in all aspects
except that its midi editor doesnt interact with chords etc

I'm still getting used to REAPER's MIDI editor. The only other experience I have with piano rolls is from Live, since I was using Renoise previously. Drawing MIDI notes isn't super smooth in REAPER but I'm guessing there are some customizations I could do to make it better that I'm not aware of yet.

been using bitwig lately. gotta say it's pretty good
it's basically ableton mixed with fl. at least thats how it feels to me
not bad, and the fact you can use 64 and 32 bit vsts is pretty neat

I need something to do short looping bass lines live

Is volca bass good for this? Or is it too much of a toy?

sounds pretty nice. kinda reminds me of flume. i'd bring up the kick, and maybe layer the snare to make it a little less generic sounding.

this is really good. the mixing is great, so is the arrangement. it has quite the contrast between guitar and electronic boogaloo, rubs me little odd, but it's still nicely produced. good job

good times in the back of chevy pick up. my dad would love this. sounds clean and very nice

can't really tell if you're actually using auto-tune. the music sounds good, but you could defiantly use some work on your singing voice. sounds to me like you're not a native english speaker and that right there turns me off. the song is actually really sweet tho and i like it.

too much reverb, it drowns it out too much. maybe get a little more creative with your drum patterns. like make a fun trappy snare pattern instead of the basic two and four.
also liking the sea shanty feel to it. at least thats what i'm hearing.

a little boring, imo. sounds really nice tho. good mix and nicely produced. could defiantly hear some vocals over this

clyp.it/pfhd0yal

Advice???

how do i stop making shit music and start making masterpieces

stop drinking fluoridated water

oh cool. does the singing sound ok beside the accent? like the voice doesnt sound goofy like i'm forcing too hard to sound good?

start emulating others. i'm still stuck at this step though.

>start stealing from others
word

it sounds alright. could use some work. the accent really does throw it off tho.
just keep at it.

ha, can be too

ok thanks

clyp.it/bjhszpos

Friend told me that this sounds like a "bunch of random noises"

Second opinion?

>good times in the back of chevy pick up. my dad would love this.
best compliment i've ever gotten or will get. cheers mate.

>sounds like a "bunch of random noises"
that's because there's nothing memorable about it

how do I make drums sound like this using a vst? im too poor to buy a drum kit I've been playing around with reverb but I cant quite get it right

clyp.it/o1okg5rv

Why is mixing so hard

yeah, it does sound like a bunch of random noise, maybe you were going for a heavy electronic metal sound
theres just too much going on and its too muddy to really enjoy it. way too harsh

>Why is mixing so hard
just because.

this actually sounds pretty cool reminds me of eagles of death metal or something like that
your guitar tracks are obviously fighting each other. eq them out a little more, and get rid of all that muddyness. i can't hear certain parts because it all just mushes together

these were recorded with contact mics. myabe theres a contact mic drum pack somewhere

sounds cool

clyp.it/d24s51vc

my wife let me out of the shed to record this

kek this is pretty nice

i just reached G#4 with my voice fuck yeah

clyp.it/batryk3a

don't laugh at me

Anybody got tips for making tracks with minimal instrumentation / sample selection sound full?
something like this

youtube.com/watch?v=kVIYe_KeQD0

got me all amped up! too bad its night time and i wont be able to go to sleep for another hour now!

>making minimal instrumentation sound bigger and fuller
this is pretty basic stuff

eq
compression
parallel compression
layering
layering with an octave higher or lower

easy peasy

Thanks for the feedback my man. Another user mentioned here that the guitar in the beginning was too loud, but every time I've tried to peel it back, it kinda loses it for me. It's very possible that it's just a combination of all the compression I have on it (rhythm bus, everything but drums bus, and master) so I might end up going back and fiddling with that some more but honestly I'm trying to put this one down.
The cohesion was probably my biggest problem with this track. I basically wrote two songs and tried to force them together, so moving forward I might not try to do that again lol. I appreciate the feedback on the non-electronic parts. That's (obviously) where I lack experieme. Definitely in the future I will work harder at cleaning up my takes. I'm just kind of done with hearing this track for now lmao

Thanks for the feedback and nice words user. It's been quite the time trying to fuse my guitar playing with my electric boogaloo stuff

>tfw can’t sing
>tfw can’t write lyrics
>want to sing and write lyrics

everybody is shit in the beginning you just have to practice and be dedicated

lyrics dont matter

actually i'll add that vocals dont matter either

FL Studio comes with some of my favorite kick and snare sounds there is actually. There's a lot of goofy stuff, but there's also some really classic sounds like that orchestra hit that pendulum used in Blood Sugar

One thing I notice about alot of prod things and tutorials online is they seem to focus on things like edm, house, trap etc. type music

Does anyone know good resources for someone looking to produce either classical / contempory type music?

Wait for the behringer model D

thankz bud =)

are there any resources out there for a more granular approach to learning production? not trying to 'make a travis scott type beat' and shit like that. I just want a solid foundation that's versatile enough for me to make anything basically. don't know what i'm missing and sorta stuck in a rut with my method of learning by fucking around in my daw

Read Dance Music Manual, which you can download here:
www58.zippyshare.com/v/Eaw7HMGX/file.html

>clyp.it/nzcpqeox
boy mixing and mastering sure is tough work

genuine kek

Will trap-influenced hi hats be dated in a decade?

Yes.

Thats a good point, i never thought of that. You mean audio recording tutorials or making it sound like its classical using electronic elements?

Are there any big production or beat making discords ?