Serious replies only

i understand that music is hard thing to devote all your time to..

i understand most of the people who view this thread are 5 years younger than me.

But my question is, and be honest. How does music make you feel. How does your favorite song hit you and where does it hurt the most? Or is it counseling, you get a little brighter look in the mirror cos you just played that song. in the times we live in, new releases coming so fast at as. What are your favorites right now? why? do you wish to hide behind a song?
can't you wait to tell your friends about a song?
let's talk about music right now and what does it mean to people who use Sup Forums.. right now

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWc1W3zn_ijdkYVnUkbZvpAMCQK4Eb1a1
youtube.com/watch?v=LqIexdgN6FQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-3ZUQMBD5yI)
youtube.com/watch?v=c5WEuQUw8wY)
youtube.com/watch?v=0lnAgKv_2tY)
youtube.com/watch?v=DpVfF4U75B8)
youtube.com/watch?v=c61jlHO3rVM)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the songs that mean the most to me are stakes in the ground that mark times and events. Dont feel safe posting them cause it would self-incriminate

When I listen to the music I like I get this melancholyc feeling, like nostalgia, deep in my chest that makes me feel really good and at the same time hurts a little bit. I don't really know how to explain it. My favorite band is duster and my favorite genres are noise pop, shoegaze and slow core.

i like listening to it, but only if i like it
it's like wearing a shirt you like or eating a food you like
you don't have to, wearing a shirt you don't like isn't gonna kill you, eating something you don't like but is still good for you is good. i could probably find another way to spend my time: books, tv, movies, gardening, but i liked music so i decided to devote my time to that
it's like asking kids why they like a certain colour, they just do

>How does your favorite song hit you

I don't listen to that much of "songs" really, because music isn't limited to them. There are many different forms. But still music essentially is an intermediary, a guide that is to take you to places you wouldn't have imagined exist, transcending the boundaries of our dull and mundane day-to-day "living".

>How does music make you feel?
It makes me feel connected to the world in a sense. There's a lot of things I never talk to people about that I can at least take solace in knowing musicians' similar experiences

>How does your favourite song hit you?
According to my play count it would be How To Disappear Completely, which I get a very melancholic feel from. It's just an overall beautiful song and I'm always amazed by Yorke's vocals on it.

>What are your favourites right now?
In terms of music from this year, I recently downloaded Without Warning and Saturation II, but A Crow Looked At Me or Villains is probably my favourite album

excellent responses

now rather than analyzing fe. what the lyrical content does to you. i'd like to know what it feels like when a song gets all your attention and you are 'dialed in'. I want to know the emberrasing or not so embarrasing things about how you react, does it spill in to your 'normal' life. or do you even feel on a level where it's overwhelmingly difficult to contain your excitiment. is it more subtle? do you thinkg about it later and maybe then rate it more? i wanna hear what music freaks like me are about.

>How does music make you feel?
It makes me feel connected to the world in a sense. There's a lot of things I never talk to people about that I can at least take solace in knowing musicians' similar experiences

this is something i can relate to so much. and i guess its beautiful way when you and the art have a moment. and by the way, i don't think nobody connects to a fleeting momemnt the precise same way. so you'll always have that your reaction to a song. i'ts always yours. thats what art is about. at it's finest. i'tll always be yours.

Music has always been a weird compulsion in me. Over time and through the maze of mental issues I have, music has been a comforting source of having control over something. I probably create more music than I listen to, I come here compulsively as well for a number of reasons, sharethreads being a big one. So for me it's a place where I fall back to so I can feel better and see a sense of creative progress in myself. This lets me apply the same confidence into other aspects of my life. I honestly don't know if I would want a career in music anymore, it's compelling enough just to do it on my own. Obviously I love to share it but I don't count on others towards whatever I make next.
That's my ramble.

music makes me feel like my world is brighter and more interesting. it molds my mood. it's like a drug to me. when i want it to hit me in the feels, like a song to make me sad as fuck, i just get overwhelmed with emotion and i feel like a rush of endorphins...but it feels so good

I dunno how to explain this to anyone, it's quite an experience that has to be unique to each individual. Different music takes me to different places, you know.
There are still some "straight" and accessible song albums that I genuinely love and enjoy and can relate to at any point in my life, this is one of those rarities (if you're curious):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWc1W3zn_ijdkYVnUkbZvpAMCQK4Eb1a1
Somehow it just stuck in my walkman and I never delete it, whenever I commute or take a trip somewhere it is my soundtrack for that time period. Or whenever I feel distant/get rejected or refuse to be socially involved this is my true consolation.

I use music to validate and reinforce my most dramatic emotions without feeling judged, cause it lets me know that someone else gets it!

It helps me just "give in" to my feelings and experience them. Whether it's something joyful that makes my chest feel full and tight or something tragic that pulls at my stomach and nauseates, it's just SO satisfying. Maybe I'm feeling sad and it inspires me to just go ahead and have a cry and get it over with or maybe I'm feeling happy and it inspires me to get up and sing and dance! It's almost like that feeling of lost inhibition when alcohol first hits me now that I think about it.

I honestly think that's a healthy take. But how your psyche works, you need ppl around you to react WITH you. doing something alone is wonderful and i encourage that. keeping it that way for a long period of time is something our psyche won't vibe w.

that said, absorbing different ideas, genres, maybe even hardware, software, who knows, it doesn't hurt. you learn by doing and watching.

but if music is a compulsion to you, what sparked it?

I wonder if some of this is the reason music nerds take such personal offense to criticisms of music they love

i'm on board. that song is great its like a brooding but compact and minimal pop song that still wants your heart.

i feel like at my lowest, i've found solace in music and not necessarily through relatability.

like hanging on someones jacket that lives a wildly different life.

to grab that jacket is everything to me.

guide me to your misery.

my favorite songs take me there. they put me in a lead role in a movie that's more beautiful than this material world. they hit me in the spot where my soul might be

This 2bh.
It's pretty memeshit but See You Again by Tyler, the Creator is a song that to me marked a very... "special" time in my life earlier this summer, the fact the song itself is fantastic (in my opinion) only reinforces the melancholic beauty I feel with every listen.

I legitimately believe Jim Morrison was an MKULTRA victim who faked his death and now speaks on coast to coast AM radio about the globalists and NWO. I listen to his music and everything about him to find clues and get as much knowledge as possible as to what happened to him.

based on your answer you might listen to about any genre in the world. but i'm going to make a stupid offtopic ramble cos whynot i'm high as shit

i have always had a conflict with rapstars cos i love ignorant shit w bass that makes my nuts retreat. so the thing is living through these artists. fe. lil pump 'goes in' pump wants to fuck a bitch while popping a perc right? and that's cool, i'd love to do that.

but at certain point it turns from a movie to a critque of a movie, and i'm finding myself with questions like is this really necessary?

and it is for the rappers/or who the portray in ther viral video hits

it leads me to question my own stance on this. i like to watch but i'd like them to fail. and when i realize that about myself i realize i'm no good guy at all. i'm envious of their fame and most of all HOW they got their fame.

So now we are in a situation that is far from music and what it makes you feel like
It's image and how it (in a very childish way) makes you vulnerable.

have to say twice, those dudes are alright, i'm just a loser.

but it begs the question, is it all for how it sounds or is the image/lifestyle a bigger draw than the tunes?

discuss!

our society is just degenerate as fuck lol. but i feel you

it is, but i feel like it has been? youthful expression always brings up these themes, no matter what century it is.

maaan, i guess i just need a psych appointment and some smiles from stranges i'll be straight.

Which caller is that? Why do you think this? I'm fascinated.

This is a good thread.

i am probably older than you

music is like memories you have and memories which are in the matrix

not to this extent. the internet has made degeneracy so accessible to everyone that kids now are growing up with dumbed down bullshit because media consumption is basically infinite, as far as content goes. and easy to get.

i just cling to catholicism and pray to God

I cry to Days of Future Passed
Not because of connections I've made with it throughout my life or anything, just because of how beautiful it is

bump

It all depends on the music. To me it's important to understand the background of the artist and understand why they made the piece. If it's a shallow money grab it does nothing for me bit if it means something to the artist I try and put myself into the mindset they had while making it. Because of this I really enjoy very personal and emotional work, usually touching on darker subject matters.

The absolute best song in the world to me right now is Departer by Deltawerk. I cannot believe how amazing it makes me feel and what an incredible ride it takes me on. Every time I hear it I feel like this is music perfected.

It gives me energy, takes the pain away, makes me feel like I'm going on a great journey, that my life is the best journey I could be on.

I love to run to it, I love to drive to it, I love to dance or just sit and think to it.

Here:

youtube.com/watch?v=LqIexdgN6FQ

I feel as if music is the only medium where my imagination can flourish. To me, it's not so much the emotions that I relate with, but more if I can fit certain images into songs/albums. That idealism floating inside my mind can only be brought to This cruel world with the anchors of music.

so then, do you listen to abstract music to stimulate that? cos i feel like with heavily structured songwriting there is always the artists vision in forefront? not necessarily in absolutes, like you can make of it what you will to a certain extent, but the theme and mood are kinda.. there? right?

My favorite songs all somehow relate to various points in my life were I was at major low points. They hurt to listen to, sometimes, but other times it is almost uplifting. I can listen to those songs, remember where I used to be, and remind myself that I'm not in those times anymore. I like sharing the music I enjoy with friends and anons because it allows me to open my soul up without risk of harm. Most of the time, people have no idea what a song really means to me. I just say it's a good song. Music is a big mixed bag, every song I call my favorite hits in different ways, for different reasons.

>What are your favorites right now?
I tend to listen to the same artists over and over, but over the past couple of months my favorite individual songs have been:
>Radiohead - Where I End and You Begin (youtube.com/watch?v=-3ZUQMBD5yI)
>Joanna Newsom - Cosmia (youtube.com/watch?v=c5WEuQUw8wY) I particularly enjoy the Ys Street Band version because it has more instrumental variety and a more emotional performance.
>Bjork - Cocoon (youtube.com/watch?v=0lnAgKv_2tY)
>Atoms for Peace - Ingenue (youtube.com/watch?v=DpVfF4U75B8)
>Massive Attack - Atlas Air (youtube.com/watch?v=c61jlHO3rVM)

To go into the reasons why these are favorite would end up just being a huge blog post. I hope this thread stays some-what alive, OP.

I actually can relate to that, tracks that are kinda like sore spots you love to press so the pain is almost equal to the pleasure. Because humans are strange. And in a weird way, songs that marked my successes, in relationships or otherwise, don't move me so.

One thing i've noticed about being heavily depressed is that those buttons don't work no more. I want nondescript music. like drones for hours on end. or when i'm feeling frisky maybe some grouper tunes that you can make out a word or two.

idk it's comforting not to confront anything. just let it wash over you like a sonic shower. i love that. i love music.

>I want nondescript music. like drones for hours on end.
Honestly, check out the Reflection app by Brian Eno, it is generative music that goes on endlessly and almost-never repeats, but it is about $40. Other than that, check out Eleh. If you want something that is more just noise generation, mynoise.net is my favorite. I donated $5 to the guy and I can make pretty complex layered soundscapes to escape reality for hours on end.

Music has literally shaped me in so many ways in the person I am today.

Music taught me more than my parents ever have and could. Music has influenced my thinking and is a very large part of my personality. If it wasnt for music, I would be the same as my parents, and that is something I would never want.

However, I must also admit that I am now at a point at which I feel like I should become more than the music I listen to. This means that music has become less important for me and that I want to focus on other aspects of life.

Still, music will always be at the root of who I am

oh thank you! I love Eno. this (and mynoise) sounds wonderful :)

man this mynoise website really delivers. overtone throat singing with heavy sub bass got me blissed.

Honestly, it’s hard for music to have a real emotional effect on me nowadays. The only music that illicits any sort of response in me is Death Grips, I’m ashamed to admit. Not trying to be edgy or sound like the guy from the suicide note, but most music i come across is just so predictable and boring lately. No artist out there is taking music where i want it to go. It’s all so safe. I can appreciate good songwriting and listen to music critically, but i really miss just being mentally and emotionally consumed by some of the musicians i used to listen to. I’ve actively sought out new and older artist that might have what I’m looking for, but I’m yet to find any other musician that scratches that itch for me like DG does.

Besides the favorite kinds of music, because mine are different, this. I always had that feeling and I never knew how to put it to words. Thank you user

I used to listen to music because I enjoyed it but recently I only listen to music to hurt myself