Explain this ending to me at a grade seven level

Explain this ending to me at a grade seven level.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM

he was sad.

The world is a scary place and there's nothing you can do about it.

It was basically just like the world is getting worse and nothing stays the same forever and all the old men who upheld their ideals as young men still will just die out like everyone else. And it will repeat and repeat, that is of course until it can't when everything is gone.

He's seen some messed up shit, but javier boredem was on a whole new level

The man realises he has grown too old for this world, that evil is eternal and that soon he will, like his father before him, slip quietly away into nothing while around him the cycle continues.

He's constantly trying to be like his dad, but is afraid he can't live up to the reputation because of all the fucked up shit going on

Old guy tells him that it's not the times that are the problem, it's that he thinks everything falls on him

Then he has a dream about his dad literally passing on the torch, so it's a kind of absolution/acceptance

>missing the point so hard you take home the opposite of what was intended

muh morals

muh dad

There's no hope for mankind

It was not a country for old men.

Has there been a film anything like this since

i felt sad and happy and upset and releifed

i always thought the part with him visiting the old guy who told him about his grandfather or whoever getting killed on his front porch by indians in 1909 was meant to mean that the world has always been a brutal place and nothing has changed

Nihilism: The Movie

How retarded can you be? There's literally a monologue about how none of this is anything new, and to take away some nihilistic "everything's going to shit" mentality is just puffing up your own vanity

I mean fuck man are you sure you didn't watch True Detective instead?

he's an old ass man coming to terms with the fact that he never really accomplished anything or did anything meaningful. he views this case as his last chance to show his fortitude and capability as an officer, but is unable to ever catch up, and can only watch as everything unfolds. he's supposed to be a man in a position of power and authority and he realizes that despite this he has no way of influencing the outcome. he blames himself for the deaths of younger officers under his command and all the people caught in the crossfire. despite this he chooses not to attack chigurgh in the hotel room, knowing he'd likely die, combined with his cowardice in WW2 and his daughters early death he's a broken cowardly old man incapable of even doing an easy ass job.

Anyone who interprets anything Cormac McCarthy has written as "nihilistic" is so off-base they should stop.

>and then I realized, that this truly is no country for old men
coen brothers are fucking hacks

Go on then...

It's no country for old men

That he was to old to even catch a psychopath killer

damn

There was no country for old men after all.

It was pretentious. If I had to explain it i'd say it's a piece of shit that doesn't make any sense, but the directors would probably say it's 2deep4u

He thought he could carry the fire. He couldn't.

In the book he is already dead

It's him realizing that he as a human can only ever do so much and that nobody is invincible or outside of that.

Was Chigurgh even in the hotel at the same time as him? I still can't understand that scene.

I USED TO READ southern gothic neo-westerns

Father was symbol for handed-down values and traditionalism. The fire was a goal sought but ultimately unnatainable. Ed Tom is talking about how his futile search for the end of evil, a flicker of the light of time when good triumphs and all is well. It will unfortunately never come to pass, as evil is ubiquitous and there is no end to the struggle of the light against darkness

Either way it doesn't matter, it shows his fear of the man and his inability to confront this fear

It's an R rated movie, you're too young to understand

actually, not him but your interpretation doesn't make sense either. Maybe it would if you were talking about his conversation with his old friend, but when he's discussing the dream at the very end of the movie it is about the futility of searching for the light assuming it will signify the end of any sort of journey. Evil will exist in perpetuity and he will never be reunited with the handed-down ideals of his father's generation

McCarthy's work often suggests the impossibility to imbue the earth or human affairs with any sort of moral order, and that life will often bear nothing but tragedy. His only escape from nihilism is offered by the most likely fruitless search for the faint glimmer of light in the darkness, with the feeble hope that maybe it will pay off in the end.

Ok I looked it up and Bell goes into room 114, even though both locks are broken. Then he sees a coin that is heads.

the dark is the meaningless world he lives in and his father's waiting for him ahead of him represents his belief in life after death. he can't see his father but he knows he'll be there. the fire his father carries represents hope.