Let's meme Spiderland into the National Recording Registry

The national recording registry is a program run by the Library Of Congress to make a list of recordings that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States." The recordings are then preserved for future generations.

They accept nominations from the public and in fact the number of nominations a recording receives are a very important part of the process in selecting what recordings are preserved.

If everyone on Sup Forums nominated Spiderland do you think we could get it preserved?

Link to the site to nominate.
research.net/r/national-recording-registry-nominations-2017

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vGjogQ7KP7Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can't really "meme" an album that's already historically important.
I mean. I think it deserves all the praise it gets. But you're implying this is some Sup Forums meme or something.

Well it's not exactly the sort of album that would get picked without a grassroots movement. I think that's what OP meant by meme it.

I think that's good to do.
But saying "meme" implies we would do this for shits and giggles.
But I get what you're saying.

if anything deserves to be memed into the registry it’s ITAOTS

You can nominate up to 50 recordings.

The College Dropout when?

Kanye's entire discography should be on there 2bh

bumping because I nominated

did my part

more like late registration

i agree with you user, i nominated it if it means anything

It definitely deserves to be in there for real. influenced so so much music and the guys are so humble, it would really cool to see them get honored in such a major way

I really want to thank everyone who is nominating. Every nomination makes it more likely it gets in. Also I hope no one minds but I might be posting this topic every day or so for the next month as this is the month they meet to decide what recordings are chosen. Sorry if you keep seeing this topic over and over.

wait why aren't we doing this?

Slint is too good for this to be funny

It's not supposed to be funny. It's truly deserved.

Its got my vote

I will be hijacking it every time to encourage people to vote for ITAOTS
Thank you

No, I believe OP was using meme in the post ironic sense, rather than the ironic sense that you interpreted.

then why is it called 'meming' them into the registry?

Wow, it took until 2016 for Over the Rainbow to get inducted?

Voted, just because i love this album user

btw also voted ITAOTS, complete with an autistic review

Done

inb4 TPAB gets in its very first year ignore eligibility

*ignore = of
retard autocorrect

I voted OP

hope they get in

Because OP has Asperger's Syndrome and can only understand putting forth the effort into doing anything if it is framed within the context of memes or general internet culture.

Spiderland isn't THAT good

Even if it does deserve it, doing ITAOTS would be a lot cooler

most people disagree with you, so there's that

Nah, it’s a horrible album. Really bad.

>most
most people don't even know what it is

I voted for Spiderland

Excellent criticism

This, but unironically

>Spiderland isn't THAT good
If OK Computer is on the list I don't see why Spiderland can't be. Radiohead's not even an American band, and while being more popular are definitely less influential. I also think Spiderland would be a good addition to Nevermind on the list in terms of rounding out the late 80s/early 90s rock scene in the US.

What? OK Computer is on it? What the fuck?

And spiderland isn't influential. Name one instance where it inspired someone to do something great or start a movement or anything

I like Slint, but the only place I ever hear about it is on here and you guys all talk about how it's so inspirational to hundreds of generations

>Spiderland isn't influential.

Hey man, the universe doesn't revolve around what you do and don't know. How old are you?

You need to get out more, talk to people, go to shows. People who care about music know what this album is.

>What? OK Computer is on it? What the fuck?
Go read the list, it's not even that long.

>And spiderland isn't influential.
It's universally considered one of the founding post-rock albums, and it had a lot of influence on related genres like math rock.

>And spiderland isn't influential.

If anything deserves to be memed in, it's this

>I like Slint, but the only place I ever hear about it is on here and you guys all talk about how it's so inspirational to hundreds of generations
you say this as if coltrane and eno are household names, when really being talked about has no effect on the musical influence of an album. popularity plays more into it, but even still its irrelevant in this case

Spiderland isn't influential at all though. Records from the likes of Television, Fugazi, and Talk Talk among others all came out before/are far more influential than Spiderland ever was.

Of course Nevermind and OK Computer are on the list. They're two of the greatest, most critically-acclaimed, and most influential rock albums of the 90s.

Of course Nevermind and OK Computer are on the list. They're two of the greatest, most critically-acclaimed, and most influential rock albums of the 90s.

I voted

This album needs to be voted in as well; it's by far one of the greatest alternative rock records of all time (and came out on the same day as Nevermind).

>one of the greatest alternative rock records of all time
?

Yes, it is; this album (along with Nevermind, Siamese Dream and OK Computer) laid the blueprint for modern rock to eschew the predictable, tedious rock formula of the 70s, and delve into a much more creative renaissance. Flea and John Frusciante's artistic direction catapulted this album into alt. rock/funk bliss, and Kiedis' lyrics, while somewhat juvenile, formed a memorable, poetic fountain of sexual bliss. Beyond divinity.

Why the fuck is Steve martin in there?Is he actually good?

>laid the blueprint for modern rock to eschew the predictable, tedious rock formula of the 70s, and delve into a much more creative renaissance
Believe it or not, but things like funky rhythms, laid back texture based sounds, and progressive structures existed in rock long before those records came about.

And so did simple 3-4 chord melodies, shy verses and explosive choruses, and myopic, abstract lyrics of depression.

Like I said, Nevermind and BSSM came out on the same day, and both became massively successful. Yet one gets unfairly ridiculed for its merits while the other receives infinite praise to this date.

Yes user

youtube.com/watch?v=vGjogQ7KP7Y

>liking shitty mainstream funk metal Minutemen

I am not gonna say that Nirvana made revolutionary music or anything. But there is a cultural influence there that goes beyond the realm of music that's super big in their case. Unlike RHCP or Smashing Pumpkins, they have a notoriety that's been very influential although not necessarily from the musical perspective. I say this as someone that enjoys RHCP, SP, and Radiohead far more than Nirvana.

>BSSM is funk metal
>liking garbage alternative rock

But RHCP was one of the pioneers of alternative rock to enter the mainstream. I'd argue that had Nevermind not been released, BSSM would have been the defining alternative rock record of the 90s, both musically and culturally. Heck, even Under the Bridge had more success than Smells Like Teen Spirit (UTB - #2 on Hot 100, as opposed to SLTS' #6 position). I just find it ludicrous that BSSM hasn't been as held in high regard as Nevermind.

Rhcp is shit

>But RHCP was one of the pioneers of alternative rock to enter the mainstream.
Yeah, but that THE band that this goes to would be Nirvana though who became the forefront of that movement thanks to the release of Nevermind.

Fine, then take Nirvana out of the equation for a moment. Standing alone, I believe this album deserves to be in the National Library of Congress for CONTRIBUTING to the course of modern rock.

Minutemen are better but don't be a hipster, BSSM is a great album

As an oldfag, back in the late 90's/early 2000's this album already had a big cult rep, I'm afraid you kids didn't invent liking Spiderland

Actually this. NMH is/was really a huge part of internet mu culture

I'm not a kid and I didn't claim anything

No one is claiming that they discovered Spiderland. Just trying to get it some deserved recognition.

but it actually is historically important, it's one of the most influential albums in the last 30 years. why would we need to meme it in.

Both Nirvana and Pearl Jam would not have to exist for this to fully work considering those two bands got far bigger in the 90s for that alt rock boom to happen.

> a huge part of internet mu culture

imagine thinking that mu discovered this album

Go to the link in OP and nominate it then. I'll do it to if you'll throw Spiderland a nod while you're there.

Can we try to get pic related in? I believe that it genuinely deserves to be inducted for its impact on modern music

nobody’s saying that you autist

Well you're allowed to nominate 50 recordings. Putting together a collaborative Sup Forums approved list and having everyone nominate the list would be fun and may get some albums in.

or you could just nominate itaots 50 times like a non-autist

RHCP was as big as Pearl Jam and Nirvana, though. As aforementioned, Under the Bridge peaked at #2 on the Hot 100 (even higher than Jeremy, #79), and plus, RHCP have won more Grammies than Pearl Jam and Nirvana combined, totaling 6 against Pearl Jam and Nirvana's 3 combined (although the Grammy Awards aren't that huge of a success measure). Hell, even RHCP had more MTV Awards than Nirvana and Pearl Jam (8 against Nirvana's 5 and Pearl Jam's 4). Id' say between the three, they were equal in popularity.

Ten has sold far better than any RHCP album, almost twice as much as BSSM, too. You can cite those awards, or even quality of music, but they don't signify the sheer level of cultural influence Nirvana had. Again, Nirvana is ass, I don't like them. But to deny their cultural influence is ridiculous.

>Again, Nirvana is ass, I don't like them. But to deny their cultural influence is ridiculous.
I'm not downplaying their status so much as I'm arguing that RHCP has just as much cultural impact as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Sure, grunge was the most popular form of rock during that period, but to say that RHCP didn't have as big of an impact is just as ridiculous, because they received just as much popularity in the realm of alternative rock as Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Heck, if there were an objective list of the most popular, influential and culturally relevant bands of the 90s, it would be something along the lines of this:

1: Nirvana
2: Pearl Jam/RHCP (tie)
3: Radiohead
4: R.E.M.
5: Smashing Pumpkins

And plus, while Pearl Jam's Ten did outsell BSSM, PJ only had their first 3 albums as their best and most culturally relevant. RHCP, meanwhile, had 4 (BSSM, Californication, By The Way and Stadium Arcadium).

there's no chance of this happening but fuck it I filled out the form

oooohh could we do Relationship of Command too? Pretty please??

not a bad choice at all

>not a single Neil Young album in the registry
Excuse me?

Name ONE rhcp song that is as ubiquitous as smells like teen spirit, ONE

bump for support

Under the Bridge, Californication, Scar Tissue, Otherside, Can't Stop, Dani California, Give it Away.

Die.

Nowhere near Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Under the Bridge peaked higher on the Hot 100 than SLTS (#2 VS. #6). It's literally the alt. rock song of the 90s after SLTS, objectively. Stop trying to downplay one of the most popular and important bands of the 90s.

Even if it is the no. 2 alt song of the 90s there is a pretty big gap between 2 and 1.

rhcp doesnt have anything that can match smts in terms of prolificness and you know that, has nothing to do with subjective taste

Love spiderland, done.

But Unwound is far better and is far less known than Slint is.

If you think Slint deserve more attention than you are wrong. Very wrong.

I also bet that you are underage since you think voteing for something is ' memeing '.
This. This would be ' memeing ' since it is a Sup Forums meme. Spiderland is just overall a great record.

The list is about being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", not "albums that are underappreciated". In the scope of indie rock, Spiderland absolutely is significant in all of those facets. Unwound is good but not nearly as influential or important as slint - in fact, they would likely not even exist without Slint

Let's be real. If anything 808s will be indicted. It's trash but it's changed hip hop music and started a lot of trash followers

I've actually submitted it before.

It literally created post-rock