Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TVHVx1omeQo
youtube.com/watch?v=nzUgn7TIdz4
youtube.com/watch?v=AOiuh2Upa8s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck the police

why does sting sing like that
they really suck tho

Eh, give or take. There are much better artists out there, but there are far worse ones out there

one of the best new wave band of all time imo. all their records are classics

Do you have anything like them to suggest? I really do love their stuff. Especially Synchronicity.

i wish i did, but their stuff is pretty unique. maybe talking heads? some of sting's solo stuff is also pretty good, especially nothing like the sun, but not at all like the police

I understand. Perhaps that's why I dig them so much. Lol. I'll look into Talking Heads and report back.

Stewart Copeland is one of the best drummers of all time.

Regatta is top.

It's a ska thing

Stuart Copland and Andy Summers are great musicians and while Sting isn't bad by any means, he's Sting.

TELEPHONE IS RINGING
IS THAT MY MOTHER ON THE PHONE

unironically the second best song on that album

I really wish they released an instrumental of this track.

"I was in a band called The Police"

Someone post the Jose Feliciano cover

This.

But I like the band.

>sting was in Bee movie

Oh boy his career might get a revival through memes.

Most of their stuff varies from ok to great but they always have a few stinkers on all their albums

Andy Summers was in Soft Machine for like 3 or 4 months I think then quit? I think this was right after Third

Funny what he ended up being famous for

Early singles, song included on comps in the late 70s and the first two albums are GOAT!

After Zenyatta Mendatta they lose me.

I tried them out a few weeks ago. I guess they were adequate 80's mom rock or something. I dont really remember any of their songs besides every breath you take

Fuck them.

First album was great, second had some good tracks, the rest is shit.

Sting's daughter has some good tunes. Cool to here they similarities in singing.
youtube.com/watch?v=TVHVx1omeQo

youtube.com/watch?v=nzUgn7TIdz4

niiice

Yeah, this.

I don't get all the Sting hate. I saw him last year and he was still one of the strongest, most energetic, and most musically accomplished live acts that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

He's a cheeseball, really. Fantastic musician and showman, but it's like if you took Paul McCartney and ramped up the poppiness of it to 11.

>Synchronicity
I've only listened to regatta de blanc and outlandos d'amour and both are pretty good (I prefer Outlandos I think) although both sufer from having a few boring songs

The best band of the 80's. Zenyatta Mondatta, Synchronicity, and Regatta de Blanc are all really close to masterpieces. The other two are 7/10 albums. While their albums are great, they never made a perfect album. Why the internet drools all over Talking Heads, The Cure, and The Smiths and ignores the Police is inexplicable. The Police were every bit as creative as those other bands and had better musicianship and were more accessible.

Boring pop music that Sup Forums always overrates for some reason.

Good but not influential.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Although for some reason I always felt that Paul McCartney's pop turn was way more obnoxious than Sting's.

Ten Summoner's Tales was jazz/new wave-tinged adult contemporary kino on par with The Colour of Spring, The Dreams of The Blue Turtles was catchy as hell, and The Soul Cages was a legitimately great album.

Paul McCartney, post-Beatles, never produced anything nearly half as consistently solid as Sting's early solo albums.

I mean, that's fair, I don't particularly see it as a bad thing in and of itself, but compared to The Police and the influence of Copeland and Summers, it turned up the poppyness to levels never before seen, which kinda doesn't really fit with The Police.

Still a fantastic musician and honestly I'd rate him up there with Steely Dan in terms of "pop music with fantastic complexity".

>Still a fantastic musician and honestly I'd rate him up there with Steely Dan in terms of "pop music with fantastic complexity".

Yup. That's fair. What are your top Police tracks?

Mine are
>Walking on The Moon
>The Every Breath You Take->King of Pain->Wrapped Around Your Finger->Tea In The Sahara progression just for the utterly flawless, production alone
>Message In A Bottle
>Roxanne
>Voices Inside My Head
>The various non-single tracks in Reggatta and Zenyatta.

I think the debut is massively overrated and Ghost in The Machine is far and away their weakest album.

>not influential.

They were one of the first New Wave bands playing at CBGB's with the first wave of Punk bands. They influenced pretty much every 80s pop band.

Why is it that the chorus of every Police song is just the title repeated several times?

>CBGB's with the first wave of Punk bands
And they admit they they were posing, didn't really belong there.
Name some bands who said Police influenced them.

Not him, but I'll chime in anyway. I'll list all the good tracks off of every album.
>Outlandos
Next To You, Roxanne, Can't Stand Losing You, So Lonely, Truth Hits Everybody, Masoko Tanga
>Regatta
Message in a Bottle, Title Track, Bring on the Night(Favorite underrated track), The Bed's Too Big Without You, Does Everyone Stare, No Time This Time (Sting's botched performance saved by Copeland going nuts)
>Zenyatta
Everything is great besides Behind my Camel and The Other Way of Stopping
>Ghost
Spirits in the Material World, Every Little Thing She Does is Magic, Invisible Sun, Demolition Man, Secret Journey, One World(Not Three)
>Synchronicity
Everything but Mother is great and if Andy had put Someone to Talk To on instead the album would have been perfect.

Overall, an absurd number of high quality tracks but always at least one misfire an album. However, when you experiment, mistakes are gonna happen. I do agree with you on the Debut and Ghost being their weakest. However their weak albums are still real good.

How can you not appreciate Gordon Sumner for all the hit songs he's written? One of my favorite musicians ever. There aren't many like him.

Outlandos D'Amor and Reggata De Blanc are top tier

Not him, and there definitely aren't many but...Panda Bear from AnCo has said they were his favorite band growing up and cites Stewart Copeland as an inspiration for creative rhythms, Brandon Flowers of the Killers wrote a piece in Rolling Stone about them, Gwen Stefani called them a musician's band, Rush will be the first to say they took a little of the Police's style for the 80's albums. Also, Hilly Crystal himself wrote in the CBGB timeline when the Police showed up.

Andy Summers album with Robert Fripp "I Advance Masked " is really incredible.
youtube.com/watch?v=AOiuh2Upa8s

Ok somewhat influential but really more respected and liked. Also I would agree that Copeland is influential as a drummer.