What is your opinion on this, Sup Forums?

What is your opinion on this, Sup Forums?

Also season 2 when

Dark Matter is better

Hope this is a joke. Dark Matter is literally terrible in pretty much every aspect, from the acting to the writing. Even fucking Killjoys is better. The Expanse is a decent show in its own right, and unlike Dark Matter has things going for it other than merely being Sci Fi.

trailer is out, it says in february

also this it has more memorable characters

What happened to that Beaner that got ejected into space?

Potentially best tv spacefi ever. Hopefully it gets better instead of worse like BSG.

2's ass is out of this universe

It's alright, kinda forgettable honestly, but alright.

I don't like comparisons to BSG though, BSG is on an entirely different level than this, maybe if the show improves in the second / third seasons... maybe. It doesn't hold a candle to it now though.

For example, the characters themselves just aren't very good / memorable. I can't even remember half the character's names, especially characters on Earth. The entire subplot on Earth is just not very well done at all, it's very boring and doesn't fit right with the rest of the story. It just feels so disconnected.

The stuff on Ceres / the Mars ship that they are based in is alright though.

I hope it gets better, because we need more space-opera sci-fi.

I think the BSG comparisons are specifically about how the show is shot/framed/lit/even how CGI effects are rendered

There's no disputing that it "looks and sounds" like BSG, if that makes any sense. The writing is almost secondary to this.

And it's noteworthy because BSG was a very unique looking show

It takes more than a vacuum to kill them.

I liked it a lot.

Currently on the second book in the series.

Huge problem: it's a SyFy show.

This never ends good, the first season was extremely good for a SyFy show but you just know they will either not have the budget to keep up the aesthetics of the show or the writers will fuck it up immensely.

most overrated show I've seen in 2 years. The way people talk about it would make you think you're in for an unforgettable ride. It's very bland and mundane after episode 3.

The book writers fucked it up immensely already. Season 2 might be good but what comes after will be an unending clusterfuck minus the best character

What have they fucked up?

Miller dies and then the evil Thing Alien reveals it's actually just trying to build a Stargate

>The way people talk about it

CGI is amazing for a tv show. Also the space physics is real and believable. Acting and plot are ok too but the visuals and theme is what really makes this show pop

But thats actually cool.
Miller dieing got me mad but I really liked the Miller Stand thing (on James pov, Miller Stand pov was shit). Too bad they scraped it.

It gets worse sadly, GoT levels of worse; specially in the last two novels.

Also at current speed, they are going to need 12 years just to catch the books. There no way SyFy would not fuck up something during that time.

I like the world but the living protomatter plot's a bit silly. Someone on here described it as years of meticulous scientifically accurate world-building just to house "The Thing" in space.
Still I think it's pretty neat.

I disagree with respect to how the shows appeal to their audiences on a technical level. I can't watch any more Dark Matter because the plots often feel rushed and forced and sometimes don't make sense. The fighting scenes don't feel natural, the social interactions don't make sense and everythings pretty predictable. I get it that its supposed to be a comfy show with fantasy-level scifi tech, but I can't get into it.

I've read all the Expanse books, so I guess I'm biased when I say that I really like season one. I already have an understanding of the universe the books set up, so just seeing it play out on screen is supplemental. I can see how some aspects would be confusing for a new viewer. But I love the Expanse so much more than Dark Matter because of the realism and plausibility of the story and tech elements.

Pretty good, as for season 2, didn't I read on here about a month ago that The Expanse was bought of SyFy by nexflix?

not even close, Dark Matter is enjoyable but in a schlock way, you may say you enjoy it more to watch but you can't seriously say it's better. In basically every aspect of creating a TV show, acting, intelligent writing, creating real believable characters, direction ect The Expanse is way way better

>For example, the characters themselves just aren't very good / memorable. I can't even remember half the character's names, especially characters on Earth. The entire subplot on Earth is just not very well done at all, it's very boring and doesn't fit right with the rest of the story. It just feels so disconnected.

This is the crux of it really. The show is extremely well execute visually, but a lot of the characters don't really jump out at me, apart from Miller.

Yeah the protomolecule takes the entire show in a hard left turn from its start as a space cop detective story. It sprouts a unique setting for a story, but the human elements stay grounded and its cool to see how groups of people react and behave in new situations. I'm excited to see it play out on screen.

Fucking love this, and crazy hype for season 2, but that's mostly because I have an uberboner for hard scifi.

Revelation Space series when?

It's produced independently from SyFy by a company that makes movies and distributed by NBC. SyFy hasn't even ruined Dark Matter (if anything, it got better prod. values) so it makes no sense it'd ruin this.

>The entire subplot on Earth is just not very well done at all, it's very boring and doesn't fit right with the rest of the story. It just feels so disconnected.

That's probably because they shoehorned it in for the TV series, it's not in the book.

makes sense.
the expanse writer was previous close aide/writer to grrm/got