What's the best band to come out Seattle in 90's and why was it Alice In Chains?

What's the best band to come out Seattle in 90's and why was it Alice In Chains?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/deandelray/272jerry-cantrellalice-in-chains
songkick.com/artists/496981-alice-in-chains
youtube.com/watch?v=SOTRoZMAJ0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Soundgarden was more experimental than all the other grunge bands combined and explored the full breadth of grunge.

It was actually Sunny Day Real Estate

Tad

Soundgarden > AIC > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

probably because all other grunge shit was garbage. AIC was truly god-tier with their dark version of tthe genre. I just wish they would stop playing as AIC since lane is dead but whatev

what's your opinion of their new stuff with william?

I honestly never listened to any of it. the only post alice in chains music I've heard was stuff by cantrell solo.. and that was years ago but younger me liked it.. gotta revisit it again

i haven't listened to all of cantrell's solo work but what i have heard it god tier. he's super underrated.
as for their stuff with william, i think it hold up on it's own pretty well. it'll never be the same but it's still great.

I guess we both have some music to listen to then. the album I recall liking a lot and used to have the CD too is degradation trip. hard to believe it came out in 2002. sheesh, I'm old

Soundgarden was more experimental but that tended to make alot of their music very hit and miss. Pearl jam was experimental after VS, doesn't mean they were any good. While Superunknown is a solid album, it's still light years behind In Utero and Dirt.

AIC was the best because they had it all for their time and place. The entire 90's alternative scene developed around their sound rather than vice-versa. It was grunge, it was nu-metal, it was psychedelic, it was blues, it was just perfect.

Correct

i really like Mudhoney

patrician

Nirvana>AIC >Pearl Jam>Soundgarden

Pearl Jam > Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana

Aic lyrics are seriously depressing. Good sound tho

Earth is the best 90s seatle band

The double sided version of that album made up a good amount of my Freshman year of HS.

So fucking dark and heavy

nah. the entire 90's alt scene developed around melvins.

>melvins
who?

The Punk-esq part of it did. Not AIC. AIC and PJ were very outside of the whole seattle punk thing

I'd say outside of Washingnton Pixies and Dinosaur Jr were a bigger influence

nope. sludgy riffs of aic comes straight from melvins.

Jerry Cantrell has literally never spoken of the Melvins. From interviews, he was always a classic rock/metal dude aka KISS, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Van Halen, etc

>"There was a badass band in a club almost every fuckin' week - Soundgarden, Melvins, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone - just fuckin' amazing.

say what?

You can be into bands but not necessarily draw influence from them.

fucking ass.

>alice in chains
>grunge

pick one.

I saw Jerry open for Creed when he was touring for that album., really incredible performance, he played mostly all AiC songs.

>Jerry Cantrell has literally never spoken of the Melvins.
>You can be into bands but not necessarily draw influence from them.

which one?

Yeah, I phrased that wrong. But what I mean though is yeah the Melvins were a big thing in Seattle but influence wise I always hear Cantrell talking about classic rock/early hair metal and not really contemporaries like the Melvins

both

soundcloud.com/deandelray/272jerry-cantrellalice-in-chains
learn your shit. around 36:40

>thinks Grunge is a genre
it doesn't describe a specific sound, it's a scene

Soundgarden

Pearl Jam sucks cock

i am sure you know more than cantrell.

I don't believe Cantrell is in the least bit concerned with being a musical historian. Real valid point

I was born in 92, and all those bands just remind me of sitting in the back of my mom's minivan listening to the radio. Can't stand it. They still play that fucking music during commercial breaks for seahawks games.

Look at this faggot and laugh

fucking same

lets say grunge is not a word that defines the sound but a scene. aic was never a part of that scene, they mostly toured with metal bands.

just because you watched too much vh1 doesn't mean that you know shit.

I just picked up a used copy today along with jar of flies,I was gonna get the Self titled album and In Utero from Nirvana, but fucking would down in a hole, I stay away and Junkhead are too fuckin good.

No one's gotten it right yet.

Nirvana > AIC > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam

Sunny Day Real Estate was pretty good.

I agree with everything you said until that last part. Superunknown, to me, is the album where that experimentation really lined up and worked out perfectly, which is why it's so good. It has experimentation but some really great, traditional songwriting as well. It goes beyond what the "grunge" sound was, in a good way. Each to their own of course, but I fucking love that album.

yep this is the one

The track Right Turn exhibits studio recordings with other musicians from the Grunge scene

Junkhead has probably had the most influence on me as a songwriter desu. How it breaks into the chorus with those harmonies is just pure bliss

Unironically this except put more ">" between AIC and Nirvana and also between Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

>>>/reddit/

alice in chains is my favourite band (also jerry solo) ever but I can't listen to them anymore because everytime I start listening for a few weeks it sends me into a depression

I just play the riffs on guitar

check out the 'appears most with' section on the right.
songkick.com/artists/496981-alice-in-chains
of course they performed with other local acts like every fuckin' artist in the beginning of their career.

The Screaming Trees left out of this thread again. Somewhere a singular year trickles down Mark Lanegan's cheek.

Two of you acknowledged Mudhoney at least.

Let's continue to keep Candlebox out of this though, agreed?

I'm not saying they're limited to Grunge, but rather they toured enough within the scene to qualify, among other aspects.

Last time we had this thread Soundgarden didn't get no love and soon after Chris hung himself; that's how I remember it.

Me too senpai.

All of their stuff is just so personal to me. Just yesterday I was having a really bad episode after a fucked experience with a girl and played along to Dirt for a little.

>Say goodbye don't follow, misery so hollow

Don't Follow isn't on Dirt senpai

ik, but it's my go to sad song if I want to drown in my misery

Jerry has never really outwardly spoken about it, but is it safe to assume he has some sort of severe depression/bi-polarness?

I mean just listen to all their shit. It's all about abandonment and death, and Jerry himself has had some bad drug problems/never had a stable relationship with a woman. Supposedly the dude had locked himself in his apartment for half a year without leaving whilst writing his second solo album.

grunge is a word fabricated by the record labels, and pushed by the media. nothing more. can you show me one prominent act that embraced the term?

If you don't like a word that's ok. Who among Black Sabbath considers their Music anything more than Hard Rock/Blues? Bands shouldn't pigeon toe themselves like that. There's a difference between Grunge (Melvins, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Nirvana, Mother Love Bone, Skin Yard) and what you're describing: Post-Grunge (Silverchair, Stone Temple Pilots, Candlebox, Creed, Nickelback)

>STP
>Post-Grunge

>San Diego, Washington

>Core was written before Grunge was mainstream

what did i describe? do you even know what description means? can you please phrase my description. i am perfectly sure you don't even know what a scene is.

A Scene, a setting. Time and place.
The first and best Post-Grunge band, Sure, but mainstream grunge definitely propelled the release and reception

what about melvins. they're from washington too. but you said they were grunge, not post grunge. are you confused?

No, but you are?
San Diego isn't in Washington

when it comes to music it is not only limited to time and place. scene bands have similar musical influences, also a similar political attitude. compared to other so called grunge bands, aic have zero punk influences. i also don't think (but not sure) cantrell is a leftist like all the other bands you have mentioned.

in early 90's pearl jam was king. nirvana began to exceed PJ and then takeover but kurt died. those with patrician tastes preferred soundgarden. but time has shown AIC had greatest longevity

>Stone Temple Pilots,

hard to say whether they are post grunge or not, considering core came out 92. but you're right they did copy the sound of the seattle bands, but they exceeded them in some ways

I completely agree, but I'm kinda firm on calling them Post Grunge as of now

>>San Diego, Washington
then you should not write it like this. i am not familiar with every city in the us.

I"m 38, so I was only in middle school, but among kids my age Nirvana was much more popular in the early 90's. Don't get me wrong PJ was popular too, but Nirvana was on a whole other level of popularity, due to Smells Like Teen Spirit and Kurt Cobain.

I disagree. Limiting your sound and ideologies stagnates progression. Nearly every grunge band consists of two or more shared members from another grunge band, all located in and around seattle from 86-94, namely released on c/z records and sub pop. Jack Endino (Skin Yard) recorded a majority of pre-90s grunge records, including Bleach, Superfuzz Bigmuff, Primal Rock Therapy, Screaming Life/Louder Than Love. These bands toured together, lived together, recorded together and wrote tributes to friends of the scene that they had lost. (Temple if the Dog, Would?, 4/20/02, ¡Viva Zapata!) They were all struggling dunks/drug addicts that shared dark depressing and self deprecating songs about the struggles of love, life and drug dependency,
Not my fault you're an idiot

Soundgarden > AIC > Screaming Trees > Mudhoney > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

actually yours, you don't know how to use proper punctuation.

it is not something you can agree or disagree.

You can't capitalize. Looks like we're both incompetent with writing mechanics.
Oh, good point...

so that you know who you're replying to each time.

Who cares? It's supposed to be anonymous, but suite yourself

>You can't capitalize.
obviously someone cares.

WHATS MY DRUG OF CHOOIIIICCEEE

Why does Pearl Jam always get so much hate on here

cause eddie vedder is not dead yet.

No, actually they sucked. Nobody was surprised at the blase influence they added to Foo Fighters.

WELL WHAT HAVE YOU GOT

Soundgarden weren't very interesting songwriters desu. One notch above Green Day in sophistication.

you say that about a band which has a frequent usage of odd time signatures, so smoothly that it can be difficult to tell, and a notably more complex understanding of melody than other rock bands

That's not Mother Love Bone.

That's not Green River

Nirvana

some examples

"Outshined" is in 7/4,
"My Wave" is in 5/4 and 4/4,
"He Didn't" is in 6/4 and 4/4,
"Black Hole Sun" is in 4/4 and 9/8,
"The Day I Tried to Live" is in 15/8 for its verses, and switches to 4/4 for the second half of its choruses.
"Fell on Black Days" and "Somewhere" are in 6/4,
"Never the Machine Forever" and "Black Rain" are in 9/8, "Beyond the Wheel," "Get on the Snake," and "New Damage" are in 9/4,
"Face Pollution" uses 9/8 and 6/4,
"Rusty Cage" is in 4/4, 7/4, 9/8, and 19/8,
"Ugly Truth" is in 4/4 and 6/8,
"Limo Wreck" alternates between 12/8, 15/8, 9/8, and 6/8.
"Half" is in 5/8 with a measure of 11/16 before a 4/4 section,and "Spoonman" alternates between 7/4 verses and 4/4 choruses with a section in 6/4.

analysis of black hole sun
youtube.com/watch?v=SOTRoZMAJ0s

Are we talking the 90s or just Seattle in general? Because clearly Black Sabbath was the best band to come out of Seattle if we're talking about all time.

...what

They were a band that came around in the 60s that started blues metal.

they're from the UK dude