"Frank Zappa is the most untalented musician I've ever heard... He can't play rock 'n roll because he's a loser..."

"Frank Zappa is the most untalented musician I've ever heard... He can't play rock 'n roll because he's a loser..."

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R7_kuDyuBwo
youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-bwzN6IVk
youtube.com/watch?v=H_McaUor0G0
youtube.com/watch?v=0WjrH-gCUP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ironic that the only good thing Frank Zappa produced he had literally nothing to do with.
top kek

wtf I love lou reed now

frank zappa spent his entire career writing fart jokes so

Lou telling it like it is.

Boo Lou

Virgin Zappa:
>makes poop and pee jokes
>unironically likes doo-wop
>ultimate control freak and perfectionist with his band
>can't stick to one type of music
>does a stupid lame-ass straightedge act, he probably does a ton of LSD
>quantity over quality
>did blackface for Joe's Garage album cover which is very problematic

Chad Lou Reed:
>does heroin like all the time
>effortlessly cool
>hangs out with Andy Warhol
>does a gay voice
>invents every genre of music in the known universe with the release of the banana album
>doesn't even care if his guitar is out of tune
>hot babes always busy suckin on his ding dong

Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Zappa and all his work

kek

theyre both pretentious fags in totally different ways

A steaming pile of shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Frank Zappa and Poo Peed

>does a gay voice
kek

>implying Lou Reed could even dream of playing guitar notes as beautiful as this

youtube.com/watch?v=R7_kuDyuBwo

Lou Reed and people who like Lou Reed music are the cancer of society.

very very underrated post

Even Lou's sell out songs were great.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-bwzN6IVk

boi

Loud Reed > Frank Zappa

Pretty sure Lou Reed never said that?

youtube.com/watch?v=H_McaUor0G0

Either way, Zappa sucked.

When did John Cale produce Sham 69?

Why does Sup Forums hate Frank Zappa so much? Is it just a meme? Even if you are not into his goofy 70s stuff his 60s stuff is objectively amazing. For a website that hates lefty pretentious hipster culture so much you would expect more people to appreciate how much he shitted on the hippies of the 60s.

I have to agree though even as a Zappa fan his 80s stuff is mostly awful.

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?

Sup Forums is by far the most lefty pretentious board on Sup Forums

This, so much.

Zappa is another level of pretentiousness.

I've been digging Zappa lately, though I've only heard up to Uncle Meat (which is fantastic). Excited to hear more of his 70s output.

Not even that, but the worse aspect of this album (how terribly the instruments are mixed) is Zappa's fault as well. Zappa's literally directly involved with the worst aspect of this record despite the record being the only good thing he's been involved with.

On October 23, 1967, in New York, singer Nico sang with The Velvet Underground. Chris Darrow of the magazine "Kaleidoscope" recalled: "The opening night was very crowded and Zappa and members of the Mothers of Invention showed up to show their support. (...) Nico's delivery of her material was very flat, deadpan, and expressionless, and she played as though all of her songs were dirges. She seemed as though she was trying to resurrect the ennui and decadence of Weimar, pre-Hitler Germany. Her icy, Nordic image also added to the detachment of her delivery. (...) The audience was on her side, as she was in her element and the Warhol contingent was very prominent that night. However, what happened next is what sticks in my mind the most from that night. In between sets, Frank Zappa got up from his seat and walked up on the stage and sat behind the keyboard of Nico's B-3 organ. He proceeded to place his hands indiscriminately on the keyboard in a total, atonal fashion and screamed at the top of his lungs, doing a caricature of Nico's set, the one he had just seen. The words to his impromptu song were the names of vegetables like broccolli, cabbage, asparagus... This "song" kept going for about a minute or so and then suddenly stopped. He walked off the stage and the show moved on. It was one of the greatest pieces of rock 'n roll theater that I have ever seen."

Though you could also argue Captain Beefheart wanted the mix to be that way considering he was an egomaniac.

He did. Saying good things about him in the Rock Hall of Fame thing was his way of apologizing
Also...
>m-muh Andy Warhol

>pretentious musician
>think his taste is better than others
>made music that wasn't a norm
>awkward guy
He's literally Sup Forums incarnate. I can't see why /mu. would hate him. It probably has to do with all the nu male sin this board that considers anything old to be "Dad rock"

>awkward guy
youtube.com/watch?v=0WjrH-gCUP8

is cale the guy from shrek?

holy fuck my sides

Spooky, I wasn't even looking through the rest of the thread

nice

Frank Zappa was team Jacob, but Lou Reed was team Edward.

I really don't understand the Zappa hate. He made some pretty awesome music. Sure a bunch of it wasn't very good, but he also put out a huge amount of music. I'm not trying to worship the dude, but Pink Floyd get's more of a pass than Zappa. Pink Floyd. Probably the most seeminglypretentiouswhilealsobeingoneofthebestsellingartistsofalltime.

whoah dude

>unironically likes doo-wop
It is still his best album

One for the most part Sup Forums likes Zappa. Two who said Sup Forums hates "lefty pretentious culture". Three Zappa is just as obnoxious and more pretentious than any of the people he was criticizing.

Zappa is dad rock, but Sup Forums still likes him.

>does a gay voice

kekkk

They are both mediocre

I just masturbated with this in the backround thanks user

>objectively
lol
>how much he shitted on the hippies of the 60s.
this really isn't that much of a feat and We're Only In It For The Money is a cringe-worthy novelty album anyway

>Talking shit about doo-wop

What he meant is that both the VU and the Mothers of Invention were on Verve, but because Verve only had limited resources in that department they could only give the resources to one artist, and being as the VU had Andy Warhol to bat for them already they decided to give most of the resources to the Mothers and so Lou is envious of Frank because of it

Their first single, I Don't Wanna

Yeah, well Lou Reed/Velvet Underground could never compose a song like Return of The Son of The Monster Magnet so what the fuck did he know?

I actually have that single, and I'm a huge Sham 69 fan. I didn't realize John Cale produced that e.p. Doesn't surprise me, though. I'll have to examine it again and look for the production credits. Good to know.

I Agree, and I'm a fan of both

Mothers of invention and velvet underground were both great bands. Why do we need this playground shit in such an abstract art form?

>abstract art form
lmao what?

>/fa/

>Lou Reed/Velvet Underground would never compose a """"song"""" like Return of The Son of The Monster Magnet
ftfy

/thread

There was a time when guitar music was considered by many to be all of music and anything different was an attack on music - and music was what people based their personalities on so it was an attack on them as an extension of that. It still happens, but moreso with political ideologies these days.

Nope. He took a completely different approach to mixing that didn't sound like ass that he had far more control over on LMDO after TMR.

One of the happiest days of my entire life was when I sold off all my shit-head Lou Reed albums at the local used record shop. A distinct sense of righteousness surged through my veins. I celebrate that day every year by playing Zappa records all day long. I also celebrate the day of Reed's death each year by playing F.Z. all day long.

music is the most abstract of art forms