/who/ - Doctor Who General

Remembrance Sunday edition

"This is a scale model of war. Every war ever fought right there in front of you. Because it's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken! How many lives shattered! How much blood will spill until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning -- sit down and talk!"

Oh, if only.

Went over the bump Eaten by flowers Krillitaned

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCYobBjA1kk
youtu.be/7JzKX56Ag50
twitter.com/TheUrbanSlangs/status/766289286878593025
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=uCYobBjA1kk

Just remember that in every Class scene set in Coal Hill, Courtney Woods and Maive Arden are just round the corner...

Bring back Disruptive Influence!

drugs

And they're unironically better characters than those in Class.

I think I like the Victorian era again. NEW VICTORIAN ERA EPISODE WHEN?

Haven't been on /who/ since the first 2 eps of class aired, did I miss anything good?

Also saw Power of the Daleks in theatre today, and it's really good. Not only the story, but the animation was fantastic, and I hope they decide to animate more soon.

what countries are showing it in theater?

I'm from Australia and the nearest theatre is doing it. Seemed really odd to me when I found out, hard to imagine they'll get enough sales to make it worth it. Would've been great to see it though.

I wish there was a war doctor season, where Doc doesn't give a shit about henociding entire species, using warship model tardis, rips time and space with vortexes and generally being a 'bad' guy, who's tired of all hte busshit in the world and is trying to clean some of it.

fuck i hate this girl. i quit watching who after they introduced her.
even Rose was better.

>Maive Arden
who

Yup, I'm from Australia. Seemed odd to me too, as I'm not in a big city, surely can't be worth it for the theatre. It was a this weekend event only, and whilst I can't speak for Saturday, there weren't that many people there today, maybe 15?

Still glad I went to go see it. They edited it into one long serial instead of 6 parts thankfully.

Yeah I'm not even from the city, which makes it all the more strange. Maybe theatre people don't really understand about Doctor Who. It's possible they're just doing this because they remember the 50th Anniversary selling tickets, when in actual fact the majority of Doctor Who fans would not watch black and white episodes. I wish I had some friends that watch the show I could have gone with, I'm planning on buying the DVD when it's out though.

How did they handle the cliffhangers? Was there any sort of gap between episodes at all.

Which one do you hate? The companion or the Zygon duplicate?

i wish.....

Yeah, I went to the same theatre for the 50th and it was packed. I just went by myself, and I will be buying the DVD.

There was no gap, the cliffhangers were just very dramatic points, and it was just one long smooth video. Although I could tell roughly where the cliffhangers would have been (I usually play 'predict the cliffhanger' when I watch), you couldn't tell at all that it had been edited, they did a great job.

It also had a ~10 minute bit after the credits on the making of the story with Anneke, Robert Shearman, Nick Briggs, Toby Hadoke, some others, and the animation team, which I assume will be on the DVD too

I wish...

MAKE /WHO/ GREAT AGAIN

>Remembrance Sunday Edition

>implying that this thread won't last for 60 hours dying a slow death

companion

You haven't watched since she was introduced, but you hate her.

Wow, you gave her a chance then.

I wish.....

i wish.....

oh wait....

me too, but that picture is unbelievably shit

Did you cry?

youtu.be/7JzKX56Ag50

>tfw this was almost three years ago

Just watched Class.

Bring back Doctor Who NOW.

Bet you're starting to miss Torchwood right about now eh?

Never watched that shit.

At least watch Children of Earth, (it's v.very good).

Yeah, seeing Capaldman, albeit briefly, made me realize how long the wait has been.

>not wanting to be her insole

So what happened to the guys who animated Reign of Terror and the Moonbase? Those guys did some decent animation. Not complaining about Power though. It'll be nice to watch a version that doesn't require me to stare at awkwardly shot production photos.

why does the show depict Time-paradoxes as bad? They seem pretty cool.

Time paradoxes cause contradictions.

For example: you decide to go back in time to save someone's life. If you save that person's life, then there will have been no reason for you to travel back to save them in the first place.

Sounds to me like it's just part of the course. don't pretend reality isn't contradicting itself all the goddamn time.

So it's been confirmed that Moffat wrote all the good bits from the Doctor's Wife and Gaiman is just taking credit, explaining why Nightmare in Silver is so shit, right?

Nightmare In Silver sucked because Gaiman's an overrated hack.

Okay, Larry.

I don't really share the notion that NiS sucked 100% Although it was definitely weak.

The biggest problem with it (Aside from plot being solvable in a few moments but not being) was that attempt to make Cybermen more scary was too rational. Army of robots marching to scoop my brains out is scary as fuck, but the level of consciousness that can appreciate this fear is conscious enough to not be afraid of fiction.

Explaining why TDW is good: Moffat rewrote it all.

They weren't scary because they just zapped people out instead of killing them in a horror fashion.

If the BBC wasn't all "muh scarring kids for life" then the Cybermen could be scary.

I think the best way to make the Cybermen scary would be to go back to the whole "they're like us" thing. Like in a Black Mirror way, have people placed into a situation where they want to be converted into Cybermen, because they prefer to have the Cyber-Controller guide their lives than face the horror of living on their own.

Think about why Spare Parts is so memorable. The Doctor is forced to witness as the Mondasians must choose between becoming Cybermen or dying in the barren cold. Like Genesis, except neither option the Doctor's given is good.

Forest girl

American Gods and Neverwhere were pretty damned good. Even the televised version of Neverwhere was pretty damned watchable. I've not read any of Moffat's books so no opinion on his prose. I rather enjoyed TDW and aside from the shitty acting of the children I don't think that NiS was that bad. It's not a fear me or sleep no more. Smith was great in it anyway.

Matt was great in everything ;_;

Moff wrote books?

That I've seen at least I concur.
No idea. Though I typed it as a slight criticism him being less prolific than gaiman.

What are some good books written by Doctor Who writers?

do showrunners count?

Yes.

you should read The March of the Innocents by John Wiles

Oh my God, I-I know who you are, I'm so happy right now :')

Hi foot fetish user!!

He's only a DW spin-off writer at the mo, but enjoyed and can highly recommend PNess' Chaos Walking Trilogy.

I thought that the trilogy was pretty good too, but the pacing is unbelievably awful.

I had no problem with the pacing of the books. But, thinking about it, reading a book is entirely different to watching a film/ TV show.

For example, I thought eps 4/5 of Class were very disjointed as a viewing experience. Didn't enjoy them as much as eps 2 and 3.

/lit/ genuinly loves Philip Purser-Hallard's Devices-Trilogy, and for good reason.

Matt Smith was the one single factor that redeemed the mess otherwise known as Doctor Who series 7.

Par for the course, not part of the

sorry, English isn't my first language.

Well now you know

It comes from golf

Your English is goddamn good.

Been binge watching pic related.

It's a blatant rip-off of Doctor Who, but it's ok as a substitute till Christmas.

I love the Librarians desu senpaitachi. They've even referenced DW as well as stolen one of nuWho's best writers, that's Gareth if you didn't know

Gotta say, it's good fun. But roll on Christmas.

>Gareth
>one of nuWho's best writers
Really now

Yes, then hopefully just another short wait for series 10.

Speaking of Christmas. Any interest in secret santa this year? I hadn't seen it mentioned and it's getting to be that time of year. No big deal to me either way

I was baiting, but now that you mention it, I genuinely enjoy The Lodger.

Funnily enough, I genuinely enjoyed The Caretaker.

You know, so did I particularly that scene. I like the nods to classic rock throughout P.Caps tenure in general. Also Courtney despite everyone's dread was kinda charming. Looking back knowing what we know now of Gareth's views, The doctor's seemingly accidental quasi-racist dismissal of Danny Pink is very funny.

Don't you think he looks tired?

Settle a bet /who/. Is this Rigsy from flatline/raven?

twitter.com/TheUrbanSlangs/status/766289286878593025

I don't know. I can't tell.

Reminder Peter Capaldi has a female stalker who believes she is married to him.

Yep, the woman at the start says "Joivan"

>quasi-racist dismissal of Danny Pink

I can honestly say I didn't see it that way. During series 8, the newly regenerated Doctor was still in denial that he'd actually been a soldier in an earlier incarnation himself. And was simply anti- soldiers.

Only one? Tennant probably has hundreds (not joking).

Wouldn't be so sure. Remember, Coal Hill has a very high mortality rate. :^)

Fuck offerino Wandy
#DisruptiveInfluenceLives

>#DisruptiveInfluenceLives
What?

Obama for next doctor

But user, he was already the Master.

No that was the master disguised as obama

It's 14 November here in The Hague!!

>Not congratulations Paul McGann on his 57th birthday!!!

Reminded of that alternate universe where the movie was a hit, and Paul McGann's been the Doctor on TV for over 20 years.

You mean the universe where fox didn't have a hand in it?

No, Obama literally turned into the Master onscreen, remember?

Ya because the master had taken his place and hid him obviously and it's not like the doctor hasn't recycled faces he had seen in the past

We all love things for being VNA dark, but what do you consider the bleakest Doctor Who story?

>Ya because the master had taken his place and hid him obviously

the myth makers. mission to the unknown. the daleks' master plan. the massacre

Holy shit Revelation of the Daleks is GOAT. The best Dalek story by far since Troughton. Genesis is great but it's not really the same kind of atmosphere. How the fuck did Saward manage to do something so right? How did the music manage to actually be great during a clear decline in the radio workshop's efforts?

Hi Colin.