This movie was great. Definitely one of the best movies of 2016. Why was the trailer and marketing so bad?

This movie was great. Definitely one of the best movies of 2016. Why was the trailer and marketing so bad?

Animation and style was great.
Story was lacking.
They should've shilled more on the voice actors to get butts in seats.

Theron can't voice act. Everyone else did a good job, but she just can't.

This movie was beautiful, but the story was absolute fucking trash and it made me so mad. One of the worst movies I saw in theatres all year.

McConaughey was way worse than Theron. Although maybe that's because his character was horribly written.

All the characters were way too fucking quippy, and it really exacerbated the fact that the movie's plot was so thinly stretched (like most Laika movies). They really need to get their plots tightened up and written evenly

>movie's plot was so thinly stretched
Kids movie or not, it didn't help that it was predictable.

The movie was gorgeous, plus the stop motion gimmick, but it can't hold the movie long enough if the story wasn't as strong.

I'd completely ignored the stop motion factor halfway through, more focused on the plot, and that's where it started falling apart. By the end of the movie everything felt as thin as the shamisen string.

Good points:
-animation
-origami things
-that cover of the Beatles in the credits

Bad things:
-Charlize Theron
-Quips

why can't they hire better writers? the animation is gorgeous but fucking hell the writing is my main problem with most laika films.

They should have made it even more creepy,

also, strange that they cared so much about not being in moonlight in the beginning, but the rest of the movie it was no big deal.

The death of his father was also badly executed

agreed

If this is one of your "best" movies this year perhaps you should have stayed in reddit

Trailers were great. Problem is normies want wacky Minions type comedy or Princesses in their animation.

I'll say this, Moon King's speech about how shitty life on Earth is was something that'd have most parents squirming in their seats

The last 15 minutes seemed like it lost anything of worth. Like/ That's it? I felt cheated.

the 3 quest pieces didn't do shit in the final boss battle. What was the point of them again?

I liked the ending. It's more in line with the way fables normally conclude, not by killing the big bad but by outwitting it or countering it with a stronger force, in this case with love. I like the message that a person is essentially their memories and whether a person is good or bad can simply be what you treat them like.

But, still not as good as the previous films imo because it was like surface level Japanese appropriation. Felt very shallow.

No. Beginning was great, second half of the movie was shit.
Ending was garbage and uncalled for and unjustified ala Trudeou if you kill them they win.
The mother monkey father bug was also a shitty cliche.
Coraline was much better and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is still the best cartoon in recent memory.

>he has zero clue
>he doesnt know that tales were actually suppose to be evil and scary to scare kids away from doing certain things.
Most actual tales ended badly and were terrifying.

Official Laika KINO ranking
>Coraline
>ParaNorman
>Kubo and the Two Strings
>The Boxtrolls

And reminder
Stop motion > CG Animation

I felt like watching Marvel capeshit. The premise was good but the story is straight forward simple and uninteresting. The death scene of his parents didn't evoke any sad feeling. Did the writers stop trying at that point?

The villains are also just cardboard cut outs, even worse than Ironman's villains.

Even though they were married in the previous incarnation, the love chemistry between the monkey and the beetle was a bit forced. Even the story of how they first met and fell in love sounds a bit off.

They should learn more from Pixar in creating heartwarming story.