/Prod/

Asperger's Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson (embed)

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis (embed)

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/sid2gprp
discord.gg/3UQYGWC
clyp.it/u34bxjla
youtube.com/watch?v=ndd169BfLnQ
clyp.it/amemiues
clyp.it/1k4zapai
clyp.it/vc1w5vtb
clyp.it/1bhhlvxi
clyp.it/ec2jbvm5
clyp.it/ryc01enr
clyp.it/j13gi0qy?token=7e969ce60b40609b7f9ea652e1bb29d2
clyp.it/fd24425p
discord.gg/cfwMgqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How's this?
clyp.it/sid2gprp
I still feel like theres too much (high?) mids on the guitars even thou theres a huge 800 and 1k cut on them
Feeling like it could use some effects or something, sounding kinda boring to me since it's not an actual live band recording.

lmao that fuckin Savant

Cough cough
discord.gg/3UQYGWC

Have any of you actually read the User Manual for your DAW?

ay its aleks

no. should i?

yes, lots of useful information and questions that are asked a lot on here and other places by beginners are answered in these typically so why wouldn't you read it

I on my 3rd read.
Saves me posting shitty questions on Internet forums about basic features and believe it or not you always miss or don’t understand something on your first read that makes more sense later on. Plus it reminds you of features that you’d forgotten about.
RTFM anons

Yes, absolutely. You'd be amazed how much important knowledge is tucked away and there. Every time I've opened that sucker up I've come out more efficient at what I do. Even if it's only just a little bit

clyp.it/u34bxjla

I'm trying to record me whistling but no matter how much I compress it/ fuck around with settings I can't get the volume to stay consistent. Any ideas?

How do you go about making the end of this track (from 04:00 onwards)? I'm interested in both the sort of industrial sounding bass sound and the higher one.

youtube.com/watch?v=ndd169BfLnQ

Are there any really good books for music production? Like for an absolute beginner? I've studied music and I've made some shit in FL Studio and Ableton but theres so much terminology and theory behind the actual production parts that I haven't the slightest clue about.

yes

The dance music manual is a classic reference, though it is a bit dated. My personal favorite read for mixing/mastering is the manual for izotope ozone (last one I read was for ozone 5, but i inagine theyre still just as good). You dont actuslly have to have the plugin to follow along with the manual.

Besides that, YouTube is your best friend. Watch some of Seamless's videos. Virtual Riot also has some amazing videos of him going through the entire process in about 40 minutes which many people find helpful to get the bigger picture

While I have time, I'd also love to answer any questions about specific terms you're curious about

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been having a look at Youtube tutorials but I just fid it a lot easier to follow books and stuff.
Uh I wouldn't even know where to start with a question to be honest. I basically know all my music theory and then some but am absolutely cluess about the tech side. I don't know what pads are or how to sample or how to build synths. Or even shit like how to record something longer than one bar before it starts playing over itself in FL

Just type all that and your daws name into google, 1 at a time, do you know how to type?

>savant
>aspergers
Yah sounds accurate to me
>403?
What

Everything else is so loud it's drowning it.

Bass sounds like a highcut saw wave or something close to that. The other high-end one sounds like a metallic resampled sound (FM) with resonance modulation.

Read the manuals for all your synths/plugins and try to understand everything they're saying in depth, also you have to keep trying, nothing you'll ever read will make you good.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Pads are a type of synth sound that is like a big slow moving soundscape. They get used a lot in movies, and you can make them by putting pretty much anything into a fuckton of reverb.

My favorite way to sample is to use audacity. Google how to route your stereo mix into it's microphone input, then you just hit record and play the sound on your computer and it will record it.

Building synths is a long and complex topic, but for now id say just open 3x is in FL Studio and fiddle with the knobs and buttons. It would help a ton to Google basic subtractive synthesis tutorials as well.

To record more than one bar, make sure you set it to song mode instead of pattern mode, then look at the buttons by the big record button and make sure loop recording is off, then push R

how do you guys feel about this? i'm still working on the arp, and the foley needs a bit more tail/reverb, but apart from that is there anything else i need to work on?

clyp.it/amemiues

Sounds a little bit uninspired, as if youre just playing it safe and going throuthrough the motions. Though that can be healthy to do. I'd suggest adding a piano playing some soft and moody like minor 9th chords or something

1. Either keep your mouth the same distance from the Mic at all times, or step back a bit from the microphone when you record

2. EQ out some space for it (as in put some dips on your other sounds at the spot this is at, which I think is like between 2 and 5k)

3. Put a limiter on it and crank the gain

I agree, but I just started on this so that's why it sounds uninspired atm. I want this to be a popular release some day though, so I've been trying to focus more on the pop aspect.

What you heard is just the groundwork for it all, and I'm actually thinking out a piano melody as we speak, but thanks for telling me the specific chords that would match it.

Yeah no worries man, just letting you know what I felt from it. Try just experimenting with different extensions of the same chord. You'd be amazed how far you can stretch a chord by just playing the same chord but as a 9th, m7b5, add13, sus4, etc

clyp.it/1k4zapai
Thoughts on this emotional trip-hop beat?

Noted as fuck.

Sounds fucking shit mate, would you listen to that?

>foley

What part of that clyp has had sound effects added in post-production?

You could do a lot of interesting things with this.

Nice chords, drums don't punch through enough, that low sine wave arp is a bit too bass-y.

thoughts?

clyp.it/vc1w5vtb

clyp.it/1bhhlvxi

Cant believe I'm trying to do this again even with this song

I'm trying to make house/ techno, how do I get that groove swing to the track that a lot of tracks have? My work sounds a bit too dull and robotic? is there some sort of layering or drum pattern I need to do?

Holy fuck I'm just listening to this album. You have to have a good idea, then add tons of detail and groovy/detailed percussion to supplement it.

I've been looking for a cheap keyboard that I can play and use as midi controller. I live in brazil so i'm like 3x poorfag, so the cheaper the better.

its honestly probably the pinnacle of EDM for me. so much emotion and beauty in the progressions

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:b97e1333c7c2909b6a219f5ae03f79d366856afc&dn=Deadmau5+Masterclass+%2B+PDF&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969 here you have it

What the fuck is this

Post your face when you'll never be autechre
clyp.it/ec2jbvm5

how tight this is /prod
clyp.it/ryc01enr

Also

I don't like much the vocal sample and how it fits into the song. It's too loud anyway and should be EQ'd
I also think the lead... things ? are too loud and the thing that sounds like a dry flute could use some sublte effecting even in its first expositions. I like the way it was done in the outro.
The main beat is very good and the effected delay lead is enthralling.

Idk if it could be tighter but it sure is fun

clyp.it/j13gi0qy?token=7e969ce60b40609b7f9ea652e1bb29d2
If anyone can let me know where to find a good reggae pluck sample to replace what I'm using in the second half of this id be very grateful
Very cool. Completely unrelated but i hate that the volume's display forms a dick.

>clyp.it/ec2jbvm5
Damn dude this is actually really amazing, I'm downloading this.

Thanks lads i'll try to do other things in this style

Trying to clean up the mix a bit before recording the vocals. Advice?

clyp.it/fd24425p

forgot link

Anything by Behringer
Hell ya buddy, join our discord and we can talk about it, I make EDM too.
discord.gg/cfwMgqU

what's your email user

Yeah actually.

There's no vocal sample. I have no clue what you mean by "lead things" but I imagine it's the LFO effects on the bass line so I'll definitely fine tune that if that's what you mean. Thanks for the compliment as well.

The metallic noises are foley that I linked to the snare, but if I have no clue what I'm talking about and you know that then I'll just call it percussion.

why?

I was looking for cheap, but thanks.

>behringer
>not cheap

any DAWs where i can turn off the grid (both effectively and visually) ?

If you mean snap to grid for the piano roll and such, it should be possible in any DAW, at least effectively, not sure about the visual representation tho

that high noise sounds shit

pro tools

>looks like an even more autistic Jack White
>has a coke labelled "Meg" on the table
what did he mean by this

he looks like a mongrel

I have to read the manual for Iris every other day, but I'm using a sound design application to make an entire song, so I'm running into loads of problems.

>volume way too fucking low
>can't draw in specific parts of the spectrogram
>how do i even try to sequence this shit in a real DAW

Is syntorial worth it?

i dont think its worth paying for if you want to use it get the crack version

You're probably going to have to mix it again once the vocals are there

Should add Future Music to the vids tutorials in op

layer with sine or something else maybe

What's the best software to run my midi keyboard through?

just download whatever daw you want

I did something similar once, only I sequenced it in a DAW and used like 3 instances of iris I think. Iris is fun, and for some reason it just makes you want to make noise lol. I'd suggest moving what you're doing into a DAW, just feed it a long ass C5, but then you can automate things like volume or like different noises and stuff

For violin the chris hein sample library is really good.

What are some different ways of composing on the mpc other than 1/2/4 bar loops -> song mode? writing in loops is starting to bug me.

do all you hacks throw mastering shit at your mix bus before uploading the clyps to /prod/? or is that how your shit sounds at -6db?

im kinda tired of feeling like a -6db cuck

I usually do. It's not very hard to just put an LA2A on and turn up the gain a bit for a quick render. Not exactly the best master, but you don't really need one for a wip

-6db is fine particulalry unmastered, look up loudness wars and the K system, k-12 etc. All the streaming sites normalise to -12, -14 db so apprently bro fuck warrior tracks sound worse when reduced than smooth sailors who k-14

The K system is a little dumb IMO.

Loudness is a tricky subject in music, but I find that there are actually plenty of instances where having an absurdly loud mix is actually a benefit over a dynamic one, even when the two get normalized based on RMS. Certain things just sound better that way, and some don't.

this.
a lot of the anti loudness warriors don't seem to understand this, but especially with electronic music a certain loudness has it's place. that does not mean that everything has to be smashed at there's certainly a point at which everything sounds like ass, but that's partially also a matter of skill.
just listen to some well done recent d&b like noisia, it's fucking retarded loud and it sounds fantastic, great punch and impact and it feels dynamic as fuck, while some generic illenium or datsik or whatever flavor of the month stuff tries to be as loud but fails miserably

Anyone find composing naive-sounding music with soundfonts from old video games and plugins that imitate old soundcards to be a lot more liberating? A lot of them sound great if you're into that kind of thing, and there's a lot less to polish, just compose
Either that or I'm just a lazy brainlet who can't into producing

Can anyone help me with Max For Live?

In the first example I have a fixed value of 5 (input 2), and I want the [if] to output 0 when the Parameter 1 is below it, and 1 if it's above it.
This works perfectly.

In the second example I want it to output 1 if Parameter 3 is below it, and 0 when it goes above it.
This doesn't work.

Does anyone know why?

Thank you in advance.

Here's the patch:

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
745.3oc2Xt0aaBCEG+4To9cvxZOlE4KbwLsNo8xdduOUU4DbSbEXh.mtrUsu
6yXCgbgjQHsIq4EPbr43i+ww+O17xs2L.NNaon.B9D3GfACdwXYf0VokA0FF
.S4KmjvKrcDNIKMUnzvgUMpEK01F9NOmmJzhb.cUiOlOcbYinQnZSpEoYKzI
Bs0cqLKisNIa7SezGslCxT5B4uEkMhIMdYNWOYlTM8gbwDsaBf8ITSG.TS+v
gQAL1P.qbfADyUv8qE.RU83iWefTl32FEeMWxSf1V9ys2Td2ba3oinuIWJhA
OySVHNUDQ5Eh77IVDwXiBpPTH9+JD0jEgOUDg6EhP9QtrH7HFMh44YPj+0ZV
DpWHhfbKzXAMH5hjEYFgwhbX6yXRKyXunnU813IY5hTav4uxnTUaD0qEXg6n
A42hFz75r7GDJ93DwFiWm4VcStIs9WyEtn.JKSa.vwb0TH39di2DQ7dXKtU1
5AODZnLq1iWTyBKxqCZZc9eBy6djV4+FmVgvaqa+9MsJUTTvmJ1UXCO5nR2B
6m3UDa6zPGJwr8JdQ5CsNoLPwOMywcIj7QvGjDvmuybiBzyDJ.dDPjTHLJ+G
E7XsCO5ggGkXKN5QBWkGhCrJdD7doG8bSuiT2hwNntEJ7JV2B81pag82YmBu
e0s5Adwus3Eg1YupWgkENRksdcxnnvppBz2qUEvfubms3voTUf1qpBUogdjF
38uqJ7JQOm2gIR0N+HCanV1vVLsHaQ9jZOt5TAf0BzXQgVp3ZYlZitYJT.HM
calLNVn1X0TpLddlYAQQ8F2La502rB0br.ZMZ7o1yS1lMOhWisp2sw1ZAnrn
bgr8SGZ+4SGAAXci.l8bAvGj.u9gle2+3btCsNRMuM61YIzncKzHW.pg5VnQ
u.gV2nFicA9fh6N05enUImxmO+YQdQkucQkoVzSY4kOGLz8rT4d1UKAlKdVV
+JLmIdtoXg1ToXQtSeeIKn728XGPyk+B6vf7rA
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------

I actually hate working that way, but love the way it sounds. Check out a dude named HertzDevil. He's probably the king of that kind of stuff

Also, IMO the reason it works nowadays is we can use the "good" instruments with hindsight and avoid the cheesiest sounding ones

Sorry, made a mistake in the example.
Here's the correct one:

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
737.3oc2XtriaBCEFdcFo4cvxpKSi7EHXpTqT2z0ce0nQNAOIdDXh.mzzNpu
60XCgbgjRHISZxFPbrw92eb7+A3sGenGbT5RQND7IvO.858lIROarhH8pBzC
lvWNNlma6HbbZRhPog8KaTKVpsM7cdFOQnEY.5pFeIaxnhFQCPUgTySRmqiE
Z6vsJrLxNHoid8i9n0FfTkNW9aQQiXR8nLiqGOUpl7blXr1s.v9DpoC.poe3
fvgLVe.qXhADyQvSqI.opZ9wqOQJi9sp3qYRdLz1xed7ghylS8OcD8M4RQDX
AOdt3TQDoSHxymXQDiMXXIhBv+Wgn5rH7ohHbmPDxOzkEgGvngLOOCh7uWyh
PcBQDjaiFaXMhtJYQlYXjHC17JlzvJ1KLbUuMijLYdhUb9qBJUUAQcZCVvNd
P9M3AMqJK+YghOJVrw70ZtU0jaQq+0LgSEPYQZC.Nhql.AO0Y7FKh1CawMxV
O3gPCkY8d7Bq2XQNOnow0+Irt6PZk+ENsBg21291MsJQjmymH10XCO3nR2B5
l4UHa6zPGJwr8ZdQ5BsNoLPwOMqwcIj7EvGjDvW9r4DEnmJT.7.fHNWXb9OJ
3wZFdzCCOJwVbziDrJODOz53Qv6kdz2a5cj9VL1A8sPA2w9VnKquE1em2T31
02pC3EeYwKBsy6pdGVV3Hc15zWFEFTVUfdqVU.6pJPNopBzNUUnLMziTCu+c
UgyD8biNLVp14GYXkZQCawz7z4YiqFwUUCAqIzHQtVp3ZYpZit4sY2lJihDp
M1MEIyK1gYYJZ+OnOBo42NoUrBvuyRqkTK3JHsv1SMxAkVhLZVpwgKu5MwMe
Eiuwx07cdzpbcep8GDzTLOhWcrx6sN1ZB7rS.Z6H.4J7vA0NoQuBRqcTiwtB
FA31SstKsR6T9rYKDY4kisSUlZQullUb8v9tqkJ20tZIvLwBY0svbg3YlhEZ
Skh4YN+8krgE+tG6DZN7Wj86x6F
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------

It still doesn't work, and I've tried every combination I could think of.

This is probably better posted in Sup Forums, but does anybody here know how to get started writing your own VSTs? I have a limited knowledge of C++, but a huge knowledge of how audio works at a technical level, as well as an understanding of signals in mathematics. I just don't understand how to use the Steinberg VST API or whatever it's called, and how to ultimately end up with a .dll file that I put in my VST folder

Any resource suggestions? Bonus points for helping me create a line editor (like what you see in Image-Line plugins, or the LFO section of Serum)

>This is probably better posted in Sup Forums
Yeah, you should open a thread there (or try the stupid questions one).
I don't think you'll find many programmers here.

might not have shit to do, but your cabling looks wrong, put the 5 box over the 0 and the 8 box over the if

desu i spend pretty much equal time working with korg wavestation presets than on my actual hardware

If you're worried about it sounding good streamed then could be a problem, but if you're making that kind of music, who listens to it other than a dance party

The position of the input is just spaced evenly, and it doesn't necessarily have to match what's written directly below it.
Or you mean reorder the inputs and rewrite it to match the new order?

I'll try that either way.

so far (except for youtube, which transcodes) loudness normalization on streaming platforms is optional, so not a big deal at all

im just looking at the two and the main difference is the cabling, then you got the variable scope questions that rise with your variable's naming, but i doubt is that

you could also try switching the comparisson operators rather than the vars placement, $i3

Wait, nevermind, I can't do that.
I need the first to be empty, so I can ultimately do pic related (which is my actual goal here, and it doesn't work, so I try to understand why the 1st input works but not the third one by making them separate).

Perhaps I should've asked right away, how do I output 1 when the fixed parameter is within Parameter3 and Parameter1, and 0 when it's outside?

I tried that. Didn't work.

In that example when I increase Parameter1 to above 5 it lights up, and when it's below it shuts off.
Parameter3 doesn't do anything.

lol lad wait a bit, this is another thing, is & an AND operator? did that shit you posted threw 1?

if it did then you are fucking up somewhere else entirely, also for the sake of readability put $i3

I used && instead of & and now it works, but it seems to store the number and updates the result only when I change Parameter1 after changing Parameter3.

Until I move Parameter1 around, anything I do with Parameter3 doesn't affect it.

I'll try to use something that detects change to make Parameter1 send its value whenever I change Parameter3.

>lol lad wait a bit, this is another thing, is & an AND operator?
Yes.

>did that shit you posted threw 1?
I don't understand this question.

>are you sure parameter 3 is connected to the $i3 variable? is everything plugged in the right input?
Yes.

it shouldn't have returned 1, you were asking it
is 10 bigger than 5?
is 5 bigger than 7?

it should have returned 1 only if both of those were true

>I used && instead of &
there you go

>Until I move Parameter1 around, anything I do with Parameter3 doesn't affect it.
by the cabling it looks like parameter 1 calls the method, can you plug parameter 3 to the first input point as well?

Done.
The problem was that I didn't notice that it only triggers the operation when Parameter1 changes, but now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Why do it tho full stop, it sounds shit

if it sounds like shit then you went to far and/or fucked up

I think the problem is you're doing all this abstract computer programmy hogwash and your 'music' will sound bad