What the fuck happened here? I mean i somewhat get it, grundge was in at the time...

What the fuck happened here? I mean i somewhat get it, grundge was in at the time, they wanted to fit in but how could a talented band like Sonic Youth make such a shitty grunge record? Is it becase Kim wasn't as whiny as Kurt?
What am i missing here Sup Forums, redpill me!
>Inb4 Grunge sucks
This is not a redpill twats.

do you even like SY?

Kim isn't as talented as Kurt, and Nirvana sucks.

sonic youth were playing with their formula. i mean sure, experiments sometimes mean failure, but i kind of think that it's cool that they tried other stuff. did you expect them to keep remaking Sister over and over again?

they spent the 80s making noisy stuff, finally hitting a noise/pop tonality equilibrium in Daydream Nation. Then they wanted to do something a little bit more rock and their contemporaries were grunge, so it's got a bit of a grunge edge to it. it still sounds like sonic youth, it's not like they were copying other bands, just taking contemporary influences and trying to break out of their mold.

it only lasted two albums, the rock ones are just Dirty and Goo. They successfully returned to form a bit later finally coming up with a Sonic Youth guitar-focused experimental pop album with Murray Street.

if they had gone full mainstream and done some run-of-the-mill-sounds-exactly-like-all-grunge-bands bullshit album then i'd totally understand your frustration, but i think that while it's a weaker part of their discography it still sounds resolutely like Sonic Youth, just going in a different direction.

Hope you're having a good day :^)

You're pretty right. It's one of their weaker albums because of that. Some tracks are good, a majority are mediocre

This is one of their best albums.

One of my favorite bands but this is their worst album to my ears
First part is true but i like nirvana, no shame admitting that.
Goo is better by a huge margin tho, i just don't get it how people consider this a good grunge album, only few tracks are good rest are at the very best mediocre like said.
Yeah critics loved grunge in the 90s, so they loved this album aswell. But if your opinion orients around what critics say then it is a sad life to live.

I don't see how this record is grunge at all. It always just seemed like a punk album

When i first heard it the sound was unrecognisable, i was wondering if that was the real album. Then I read Thurston's interview explaining how they wanted to make a grunge album because it was mainstream back then. Album was released in 92.

This is the only SY album i've listened to and I didn't like it. Should I listen to more or give up on them?

Listen to their '80s albums, you goober.

I don't give a fuck about what critics think, I love this album because it has some of their best songs on it besides Bad Moon Rising.

it's hardly reminiscent of their other albums

it's like saying "trans" i the only neil young album i've ever heard should i give up lmao

i cant see how this can be considered grunge in any way. it is just SY playing shorter songs and less experimental noisy stuff. really just catchy nice songs, not my favourite from them (EVOL is my fav). But i like it

From 82 to 90 all albums are great.
I failed to listen any of their good s ongs in there, Kim's bitching took away all the fun.
>I love you i love you i love you, What's your name?
Just tell them what's your name you fucking bitch.

>Thurston admits this is a grunge album.
>user on Sup Forums fails to see it.
>I guess it is not grunge.

>EVOL is my favorite
No wonder you like this lo-fi grunge album.
Evol is the least good of their albums user, just listen to those empty lyrics. Dirty is much better from a lyrical point of view.

>Evol is the least good of their albums

Come on, man.

Bye kid

dirty is great wtf

Wish Fufillment redeems it.

Are you a journo? You should be a journo

this album got me into Sonic Youth when it came out (I was 16 then) and to this day I have no idea why people think it's a somehow bad SY album

sure, it's a little uneven and front-loaded but still Theresa's Sound-World, Sugar Kane and Chapel Hill are amazing tracks to me - definitely among the very best SY tracks and also some of the most enduring music to come out of the whole "alternative rock" scene of that time

In retrospect, Murray St. is probably the improved, condensed version of this album, but it still remains one of my favorites

You said the keyword there, 16. I wonder what kept you writing.

It's not.

You must love Sonic youth way more than me to redeem their sins with just one good track.

That and Kim moans a lot on this album
*FAP FAP FAP FAP*

how can someone be this wrong

The same way someone can be as dense as you not being able to realise that right and wrong are subjective values. :)

I've outgrown a lot of stuff I liked when I was 16, but I'll still defend Dirty and Cure's Wish in their respective discographies - of course I understand that also listening to the Cure at the time makes my opinion on SY even more worthless

I enjoyed it

gyno here

this is correct

W I S H F U L F I L L M E N T

oh and 100%

oh and theresas sound world