Why hasn't Rock music been popular since the early 2010s?

Why hasn't Rock music been popular since the early 2010s?

It seemed like Indie Rock was the last big push for Rock relevancy, then entirely sputtered off.

Now it's Urban & EDM. What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2010/feb/25/internet-myth-rock-star
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because of the voice and people like taylor swift

Only japs are making rock music. Most relevant thing to happen in the west was the pop-punk wave around 2012-2014. Bands such as: Man Overboard, The Story so Far, The Wonder Years. Keep in mind that is still relatively underground.

I'm wondering why it declined though.

I'm wondering what the Zeitgeist was that made the average mainstream listener prefer I'M A FUCK A WHITE BITCH NIGGA

There is no scene for it. At least new wave soundcloud rappers are innovating. Music needs memes to survive. Id rather listen to meme soundcloud rappers rather than gay buttrock fakers.

But your brain shuts off more while listening to rap than Rock.

You know, rock music was cool because it gave you pop sensibilities while forcing your brain to think about the musicianship behind it.

Conscious rappers forces your brain to think as well, but they are far and few between.

just look at the /metal/ threads they are full of garbage bands. NO innovation just boring ad infinitum noise. No mention of relevant bands like Born of Osiris. Thats why metal and rock are dying.

It ties into the political scene. All this leftist free love race baiting white guilt bullshit that's been pushed in the Obama era. "White" = uncool

Because a lot of people in the rock scene are pretentious and not good songwriters or innovators. Music is popular if you can dance to it or it appeals to the lowest common denominator, and right now rock is doing neither.

it reached its logical end point, and besides music as a whole has been moving away from live instrumentation as a result of new technology since the late 70s. you could ask the same thing about jazz to be honest, although I find it strange instead of rock taking itself to the "outer limit" it seems to just have stalled in endless repetitions of older forms, many of which were already being recycled in the 90s in some way

During indie rock we knew rock music was over and dying. We dressed like we knew it would look bad in a year. We played the shit out of it even though it would never last. We knew the world we were raised for was going away forever. Now it’s gone.

nothing good

we got all the plebs out of the rock scene. it was planned

indie rock was boring and slow. Around 2011 we had easycore movement in France. Bands like: Chunk!,no Captain Chunk, Cant bear this party. That was innovation but sadly like a fat kid with cake, it ran out of energy. Or Emo revival around 2012-2015 but that meme died aswell. There is always small sparks of innovated rock music but their is never a large enough crowd to make it last. Its too niche.

Yeah, rock as a whole hasn't had a breakthrough artist in quite some time now. As far as I can tell, Alter Bridge is still one of the top 5 most popular rock bands, and not only did they break out in 2011-ish, three out of four of them were part of Creed a decade earlier. Rock doesn't have a real breakout act right now; the biggest "new" thing in rock is Fozzy, and they've produced five albums of original material and two cover albums, AND their lead singer had built-in fame already as a WWE superstar. The same bands keep cycling the airwaves and getting staler and staler in the process. The only thing I can think of that will save rock is Tool's album in progress, and I'm deathly afraid that they're going to give us Chinese Democracy Deux.

Why hasn't Music Hall been popular since the early 1920s?

It seemed like Variety Shows was the last big push for Music Hall relevancy, then entirely sputtered off.

Now it's Big Band & Swing. What happened?

Non-whites don't listen to rock

because the industry is done with white people because they're not the main focus in America anymore

>implying white people aren't still the main consumers
White people listen to nigger shit too, niggers.

Mexicans still love it don't they?

good indie rock outta tha mexicans these days

As long as you're into unoriginality and revivals, yeah

Because rock is a boring genre.

>all new music must be an entire new genre

yikes

Ghost. Granted their best album came out in 2011 proving OPs point

truth. go outside your liberal hugbox cities and rock is everywhere. practically a dime a dozen in college towns, plenty of radio stations rocking 24/7, plenty of modern bands too. i grew up in a midwest metro, rock is my life. all you kids saying 'rock is dead' subscribe to no-names hailed by no-name websites and 'music nerds' that spend all their time trying to cope with the fact that they're depressed by spending time experiencing others' '''''''''''emotions'''''''''''' as an escape. the truth is, no one cares, except you're equally-autistic, irrelevant 'friends' who pretend to like your 'music' which consists of harsh noise and field recordings primarily... none of you are older than 19 so you have no fucking clue what's going on outside your hometown or your family/'friend' circles. it's exactly why the 2016 election took you by surprise and enraged you so much. get a fucking clue.

>NO innovation just boring ad infinitum noise. No mention of relevant bands like Born of Osiris. Thats why metal and rock are dying.
> rock and metal are dying because no one likes wanky deathcore

you sound like billy corgan

all the new rock music is now regional, kind of like it was in the late 40s early 50s.

basically look at any major festival near major music city hubs and the mid size names are basically all of the new rock bands that won't ever become headliner-big but are big enough to tour half the year and pay their bills.

you could have stopped after the first 2 sentences and you would've been the ace in this thread, but then you went full retard with your projections and political dissonance.

It was failed bait.

Because now people associate rock with the stripped-down boring punk-inspired meme. Any influence of the patrician progressive/art rock is almost completely nonexistent. People are too lazy to actually innovate with their instruments in a disciplined and refined way. It's the same reason that the big orchestral (don't know if orchestral is the right word) ensembles died out in
favor of rock and jazz.

The masses are degenerates. The only "rock" that is still consumed by the mainstream is classic remnants by The Beatles, Queen, etc., or the shitty garbage metal that has no value whatsoever.

Rock guitar riffs just sound like static. I don't see the appeal.

Rise of social media. Rock music, for the most part, can't be shared via vines, tweets, etc, since it's not as "catchphrasey" and is less one-liner and hook dependent than rap and pop.

Also, rap and pop stars can more easily be marketed on social media, since those two genres have always relied more on extroverted personas (attention whores) to sell the music through. Rock has had its share of attention whores, sure, but the rock persona was always more about mystery and "cool" than anything else. "Tweeting" about food or posting a selfie of yourself with your cat better fits into the rap and pop star personas than it does into the rock star personas. That kind of earnestness doesn't fit with the rock star mystique.

Right on. Article from 2010, too, which the OP cited as a "key year." And that's when everyone got smartphones and social media about exploded.

theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2010/feb/25/internet-myth-rock-star

Do you miss the late 2000s/early 2010s mini-era (2008-2012), Sup Forums? Back when the atmosphere of the world had a more relaxed feel and a sense of optimism and hope for the future, in part due to Obama's election and the initial honeymoon over Bush being gone (which ended by Obama's second term when the SJW rot began to set in). Before the atmosphere began getting much more polarizing and bitter around 2013/14 onward with SJWs, ISIS, Black Lives Matter, alt right, refugee crisis, etc.

Yes I know we already thought things were shit in the early 2010s, or that everything went to shit in 2007-2008 or 9/11. But when we said that, we didn't think it could get any worse, and it did. Much worse.

We really did all die in December 2012; the Mayans were right. Ever since then we've been living in a cruel, bleak, soulless parody world where everything is wrong, and everyone is cruel, mean, and retarded.

I saw Zeitgeist capitalized and Billy Corgan was the first thing I thought of

Leftist media has been pushing nigger culture for two decades and now you see the result . Don't worry it's all to call the population rock will.come back strong af

>rock is dying
>born of osiris
mega l u l