Ask an HVAC/electricians apprentice anything

Ask an HVAC/electricians apprentice anything

Attached: after_a_weekend_of_i.jpg (1200x1200, 218K)

Do you get succ?

Let's talk money.

How much does an electrician make?

No not yet. One day maybe if I play my cards right. I do commercial so it's harder than getting it in than if I did residential.

Attached: so_i_found_what_has.jpg (1080x1776, 184K)

$16/hr now and $22/hr when I join the union. Top scale here is $37/hr

Would post pics but my phone says pic is too large. Help plz

This old man I know from work said his electrician son made 55 an hour.

Yeah maybe where he is that's possible. Is he a master electrician or just journeyman?

do you know what you're doing when on the job?

I mean for the most part I can figure it out. I'm a service tech for commercial kitchen equipment so I have a lot of different things I need to know because every kitchen is different. So I guess I don't know what I'm doing but I know how to figure out what to do on each job

He said his son was 31 years old and had been in it for some time. Master Electrician I suppose.

Yeah I mean I can see him making that much. Highest earning man at my job is my dad and he's making love $41 which is good here in Missouri

I'm talking about Vancouver, B.C. Canada.

Yeah totally different things then. But they make pretty good money here for sure

Red Seal? Does it work in the United States and Canada?

We don't have the red seal but we have ranks from apprentice to master and the qualifications change depending where you are.

I'm just thinking a lot of this country has Hellish weather that I want to avoid as much as possible so maybe I'd move to the States.

Missouri is bipolar with the weather but with a trade you can really move anywhere you like and start a job the day you get there if you make your name known.

Op leaving to sleep cuz nobody's interested. I'll try again tomorrow and get some pics to go with it.

Why the fuck won't HVAC move their stupid fucking design for any of the other trades???

Answer me you fuck!

That's not my job man I just do as I'm told. My guess is because no sub contractors communicate and ours takes up the most space so it looks like we're always in the way. I blame it on the plumbers

Because the design is really specific. The longer the duct runs, the worse the airflow. The worse the airflow, the harder the system has to run. On new construction where it’s being tested, that alone can cause it to not pass, and cost the contractor more money. And that’s only one specific part of the system. Just let us do what we have to do to make it right, and get the hell over yourself. Not OP, just another HVAC guy.

I mean that sums it up but really we can make way for everyone else if we have to and design our stuff accordingly but the problem is lack of communication to make it all right.

not op but i made. $118k last year. journeyman electrician. some out of town work, lots of hours and OT

Why does my heat pump break all the goddamn time?

How old is it? Is it the same problem Everytime? How often is all the goddamn time?

TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN HERE. SPRINKLERFAG I MADE 190k LAST YEAR. YOU NEED TO BOW DOWN WHEN I ARRIVE ON SITE

10 years old probably.

Every other year it seems.

It's usually the compressor.

eat shit sky plummer.

Ohhhhh look at me I can thread pipes together plox give me big boy bucks.

YOU CANT EVEN REPLY RIGHT, JUST BEND OVER WHEN I GET TO SITE AND TAKE IT UP YOUR STUPID ASS

Chec'd
And a new compressor every other year? Do the people who change it flush it out and get rid of of the acid?

What's an S-Lock ?

Beats me, my brother.

All I know is that every year either one of my two units breaks and my guys says its the compressor. He changes it and I pay the man. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know much of anything about HVAC systems to be perfectly honest, except I like them.

It's used to hold ductwork together. You use 2 slips "s-locks" and 2 drives to hold em together

Sounds like a shitty tech to me. Honestly without more info I can't help too much. I'd suggest trying someone else if he diagnosed bad compressor again.

Bummer. Thanks.

I mean if you're using a heat pump without a crankcase heater that can cause your compressor to work too hard on startup and that can cause it to go bad pretty quick.

Probably not, I'll ask him next time he comes out.

Thanks again.

Just testing.
Spent 3 summers fabricating and installing ductwork back in college.
And I've got the hand scars to prove it.

Man I hate doing sheet metal. Rubber gloves are my fucking favorite tool for that. In my shop we make cast iron duct work for exhaust hoods in kitchens and that shit is pretty dope

>installing ductwork
how many weekends at homedepot did you have to go to to learn that?

Haven't read thread, what country you from? I'm an Ausfag third year electrician apprentice

Usa. I work in st.louis.

How does the 60Hz 110V feel with your fucking huge power leads? What size cables do you use for lighting and power respectively?

>moved into a new place
>gf bought wrong size ac filter
>didn't replace it till I could return them
>ac stopped cooling
>coils were frozen
>thawed them out added new filter
>seems to work now

Do I need to clean the coils?
Water was leaking, but they had a sheet of ice on them.

I haven't done lighting yet but I've use 00 on a steam oven running 480. But 60hz on 120 doesn't hurt really. You only get hurt when you hit your hands on shit from jolting away

Get to the coil with a flash light and shine it from the inside and of you can see it on the outside you should be good. Only way to tell is with a visual inspection though.

wasn't asking about the pain but rather the fact that because you use such a low voltage you're succeptable to voltage drops more frequently and you also need to have essentially double the cable size to compensate for that. Also what do you mean you haven't done lighting yet?

I don't have any question but good on you user for being a contributing member of society.

pic unrelated

Attached: lol.gif (223x125, 1.93M)

Lets just blame the architect and call it a day.

I haven't installed lighting so idk what size wire we use. And the only time we really have voltage drops is during brownouts. I haven't really seen anyone increase wire size to prevent voltage drop..

Thanks man feels good fixing something and looking like a hero

Thanks. This happened today. After seeing what procrastinating can do, I was glad to see your thread. I'm in a small place with a small ac, so I can't shine a light through the coils, but I'll run a plastic brush through them just in case. Can that hurt?

i've found every job has at least one shitty aspect that you really wish someone else would do. what's that aspect with your job?

Drain was frozen.
If it stays unfrozen, you're good.

how long have you been in the trade for? Do you only do certain aspects of the trade or do you require different qualifications? What levels of electrician are there in freedomland? Like below high voltage powerline stuff

set... the picture.. size.. to be.. smaller.

also, V = I x r

Just be careful not to bend the fins and you should be good but you should be able to take a panel off around the coil and pull it out a bit and carefully and shine a light through it but don't do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it

Fiberglass is itchy as hell.

Property maintain and clean their equipment. Being in kitchens all day you start to wonder how more people don't get sick eating there

oh, jesus h fuck, i have been offered a couple of jobs working with fibreglass - just NOPE. on top of that, when it comes to making resinated fibreglass shit, i am allergic to the chemicals in the resin.

fuck fibreglass. use that expanding foam spray shit.

Thanks.

Been at a job for 6 months and school for a year. I'm expected to be able to do anything from installation to troubleshooting commercial HVAC and kitchen equipment at my current job and I believe Missouri has apprentice journeyman and master electrician. Voltage goes from 10 v DC to 480 v ac

Yeah idk how to do that. Instructions unclear dick caught in blower motor

ah ok, so what dictates what qualification of electrician?

Shit I make more than you by sweeping floors.
T. Custodian, union, 26.50

You need to take a standardized test to move up to jman and master and each requires a minimum amount of hours in the field

Then go make your own thread. Ain't a contest man man

You must be very proud.

Attached: 1516940806547.jpg (1000x668, 40K)

does each one restrict what you can do? Whats the shortest amount of time it takes to get the title of master

how is the job market for you guys do you guys make more money in desert/dusty areas?

I'm not sure about the time and I think that changes depending on where you work but the rank can increase pay grade and your senority. You also have to be atleast a jman to start a company here.

I sucked off an electrician once, he was testing my smoke alarm. His bulge was massive and I asked if he wanted a hand, he just stood on his ladder and unzipped.

Australian electrician here. We don't have the whole "journeyman" and "master" titles here. You're either an apprentice or a tradesman. How does that system work over there? Also whats good money for a sparky in the mining/oil/gas industry in the US? I'm in underground coal here and can make up to $85 (australian) an hour.

Job market here is begging for more people. I'm 20 with no experience besides school and I'm already on commercial because they need people so bad. Not sure about money in other areas but like I said earlier I work on kitchen equipment so I think the market would be the same all around

Holy fuck user out here in ca that's low.

My last job had me at 18 running a weed whacker

Just a ranking system like yours with an extra step. It's different from county to county though. And I'm not sure I don't know anyone in mining oil or gas. Sorry can't help there

Cost of living is different though man my mortgage is 650 a month for a 750 sqft 2bed 1 bath with a basement if that says anything about different cost of living

Mortgage would be about double that here if that makes you feel better haha

Also send pics of house

I'm a residential carpenter

How did you get into an apprenticeship?

I mean I don't feel bad at all. I'm making good money here and I'm only going up so no need to feel better
And no pics of house sorry

California minimum wage is $11...

My dad got me on at his job. Made me go to school first though

Yeah I think it's 7.65 here or around about there

Fellow ausfag electrician here. Where abouts you doing your time?

So I work as the maintenance technician at a big indoor cannabis farm.

Being trained in the HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, maintenance arts while on the job. Basically whatever I can pick up from contractors. Company doesn't want to do much to get me trained. In Portland, OR.
15.75/hr

Don't be the guy who does this.

Attached: whutter heater.jpg (540x960, 25K)

Sounds like a good job? Pick up all the knowledge you can from the old heads and try to learn enough to get out of lower level maintainence or you'll be stuck for life. Seen it once seen it a billion times

It's a good thing you're doubling up as electrician in HVAC because HVAC alone is fuckin useless

Attached: 1512318526278m.jpg (770x1024, 149K)

I would never! My phone has flash so my pictures would look better than that

I do the same thing for multi-family housing in Beaverton, stick to it if you ever want to step up to the big boy production leagues and try to remember how to do repair and parts flip efficiently

Fucking right. Unless your job is to design systems then HVAC is good. But HVAC is my side part and electricity is my main shit.

It'd be nice to turn my life around, but here we are again. Someone knew someone.

NSW, Newcastle, you?

Yeah but I still gotta work my way up. HVAC company are always hiring. Go to trade school and when you start that just apply to every job you can

It's 230 here and I gotta be up by 6 so I'mma leave. I'll start another thread earlier tomorrow with a more detailed description of my job and what I do and get some pics to post. Op out.

Our company is connected to a bunch of multi family housing units all over town. The grow was like a side project.