Christian General

Christians fall in.

Any fellow Orthodox here?

youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Pastebin with FAQ's for Catholics and Protestants and atheists and so on for those interested in Orthodox Christianity, plus reading list with links: pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/couchtruthing/take-back-our-cities
youtube.com/watch?v=zUdlAYRWE30
mospat.ru/en/2015/10/28/news124369/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm a Calvinist

Humans have free will, independent of God.

If humans don't have free will, there's no point to Earth at all. God would already know which souls are going to Heaven, Purgatory or Hell. We would just be going through the motions of fate.
That would also imply suicide, abortion and child rape are all in God's plan. That's absurd.

Is it normal for protestants to not even know they are protestants?

Eastern Ortho reporting in

No purgatory in the Bible, and yes he does, but the point of having the earth scenario is to demonstrate his character to his creation, and show mercy to some of them.
If he sent everyone to hell, you would see his holiness and Justice, but not his mercy and Grace.

If he sent everyone to heaven, you would see his mercy and Grace, but not his holiness and Justice.

But if some go to heaven and some to hell, than you see all aspects of his character.

We are his creation and he can do what he wants with us

Also, no love without free will.

Catholic here. It may be an unpopular opinion but i consider anyone who loves and follows and accepts Christ as my brother.

Praise Him. He is risen!

How can a man be free who is a slave to sin?

Grew up Mennonite. Pretty much non denom anymore. Really thinking about going to a Greek Orthodox church here in town next Sunday. All the orthos here have me curious. Any tips? What pomp and circumstance should I be prepared for?

Just drop the ana and become a regular Baptist

Man has the choice to be a slave to sin. You can choose to live in sin, or choose to live a Christ like life, with the end goal of being filled with the Holy Spirit, and live in the presence of God.

Just go with an open mind, do some reading on the Diving Liturgy, a little church history, and wear long pants and no hats.

You are born in sin, with one man sin was brought in this world, there is none righteous no not one, there is no one good, no one seeks God.

Right, so we are. But God sent his Son so that we have the choice to leave that life behind and be born again.

There's no allusion to heaven or hell either outside of tradition and a literary technique. A Hindu is allowed to say "go to hell," you know.

What Jesus does talk about is heaven on earth where you will be raised up.... Considering the prevalence of Christian culture and morals despite atheism and the precedent of democracy (or will of the people, as in will of "I AM") over even monarchies, yeah, this seems pretty kingdom of heaven to me.

Now the spooky, how are you raised up? By realising the true nature of resurrection.

Non denom is correct

Don't forget to teach your children though, that's especially important for secular theists.

Understanding sin is about understanding moderation, what's worse is it's different for everyone so being preachy, judgemental or evangelist is not on.

This is why it's important to have a close relationship with your children, their moderation is close to yours.

Jesus died for the truth that you're wrong and original sin is bullshit, amongst many other truths.

Do you believe in pre destination? I hope you know that's heretical

Did Jesus pay for the sins of everyone on the Cross?

A question to Christians who have read the Gospel of Thomas. What do you think of it? The document is often described as Gnostic but it lacks and arguably denies key Gnostic doctrine: there is no mention of the fall of Sophia and Jesus rejects the idea of there being other realms of existence.
>"the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it."

It also seems to not have a lot of key orthodox doctrines. There is no mention of sin or forgiveness and the cross is mentioned once in passing, as a metaphor. He also names James as the successor of his church

An interesting thing is we find the usual teachings but the motive behind the teachings are completly different, it's not about avoiding sin or divine command but personal development

> His disciples asked him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How should we pray? Should we give to charity? What diet should we observe?"

>Jesus said, "Don't lie, and don't do what you hate, because all things are disclosed before heaven. After all, there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and there is nothing covered up that will remain undisclosed."

What is also interesting is so many of the well known quotes from Jesus are in it but with altercations.
Mathew
>For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them

Thomas
>Jesus said, "Where there are three deities, they are divine. Where there are two or one, I am with that one."

My personal favorite line.
> Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.

When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."

Quit smoking pot while reading the Bible

everything is in song

also be prepared for lots of greek that will go way over your head

Is the Bible heretical?
Eph 1
Romans 8: 28-
John 10
John 6:37

Query for Christians: Why do we still need to obey the rules in the Bible if Christ already died for our sins?

Christ is risen!

Christianity is cuck for people who cannot accept death

soundcloud.com/couchtruthing/take-back-our-cities

Reminder that the Pope is a traitorous cunt who invites the blood thirsty enemy into christian lands.

Those who Christ did die for, after their regeneration, strive to be like Christ, this process is known as sanctification/ irresistible grace.

There will probably be liturgy guides there you can use. When you come in, there will be candles you can buy (Greek Orthodox uses honor system), light one and say a prayer, and place it in the sand. There will be various icons in the narthex, it is customary to bow and make the sign of the cross before them, and kiss the feet and/or hands of the subjects. Then you go through the doors and begin worship. Properly speaking, you should come in during Orthros. You don't come "before" a service, you step in while a service is going on, so you step right into the atmosphere; Orthros is the service directly before Liturgy, and you can step in any time except during a few circumstances that should be on the door. If you come early enough, there will be a point the priest holds the Gospel to venerate: approach, kiss the Gospel, then the priest's hand, and go back. Since you are not a member of the Church, don't go up to partake of Communion; but you can have the antidoron at the end.

> 21 I pray they will be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. I pray that they also will be in us, so that the world will believe that you sent me.

I've been studying Orthodox Christianity and really want to attend a church in my town. I'm in the Midwest.

I don't want to embarrass myself when I go, and would like to talk to someone from that church before I go, but they're super weird and won't return my attempts to reach out to them.

I'm moving soon, so hopefully the Orthodox church where I'm moving to will be more accepting.

Whenever I talk about this online to other Orthodox, I just get the usual "Just go, no one will care if you don't know what to do, just don't take Eucharist."

tl;dr Really want to convert to Orthodoxy, can't find a mentor to save my life, >tfw destined to be a Protestant the rest of my life or biting the bullet and becoming Catholic

Thank you God for giving me the power to pass my classes this semester! Just as what I prayed for.

What successes have you accomplished with/through God Sup Forums?

Thanks, looking up stuff right now.

i read it and its not worth any time its clearly some fraud what uses the bible text to try to be some what relevant

youtube.com/watch?v=zUdlAYRWE30

So if we just followed the rules it wouldn't be enough. You need the belief in Jesus and the rules to be saved?

underrated

That's a bummer user. If you're ever in Texas you can meet some good people.

Only Jesus saves, works do nothing. Works are a result of your salvation. Eph 2:8-10. If you realize you are a sinner in need of Savior, you need to go into prayer, ask God for a changed mind and that you want him to save you through the sacrifice of Jesus, and After you are Done put you trust and loyalty in Jesus Christ

>9 Because if you confess with your mouth “Jesus is Lord” and in your heart you have faith that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

So both works and faith?

Or just faith?

I am baptist, but I would like to Ally with the Orthodox Christans if they are willing to accept it.

if you think saying that Jesus is Christ and believe he raised from the dead is work, then both, yes

Good job user. God bless you brother.

By Gods grace, you can be given a saving Faith, and by that alone you are saved,

Orthodox/Catholic will never ally with any of the 950,000 Protestants sects.

Sorry, family.

Ok neat

Ecumenism is heresy, just join us rather.

There is a difference between basic beliefs and a saving faith, please remember what I said earlier

Gospel of Thomas was a while back for me, the only line I remember is sad is the Christian eaten by the lion, but blessed is the lion who eats the Christian with an allusion that this is the wrong way of looking at it. My impression was "okay, so you are what you eat and being eaten is bad... Grrreat."

Neat quotations, bible infallibility feels very difficult when such a beautiful thing was omitted when John and Matthew were not. And the Pauline letters? Come on, Jews literally have it written in their Talmud that Paul seemed like controlled opposition. Without understanding the historicity of Paul you'd think he were bigoted, homophobic and preaching hate.

I keep praying for the end of NEEThood but Satan keeps telling HR it's more moral to hire someone with a lesser GPA, less drive but either brown skin or a vagina.

I believe God only answers prayers that you can fulfil yourself by your own will, you may choose to study hard but you cannot force someone to give you a job.

All about realising your own divinity, man's ascent to godlikeness. It was literally a Catholic priest who told me we're all children of God, thus we are all capable of divinity.

As I said in other threads, I have very questionable views on the divinity of Jesus.

This is virtually a philosophy thread or is more appropriate...

I tried to convert to Orthodoxy and my parents flipped the fuck out. Giving me the choice to get out of the house if I become Orthodox. So I had no choice but to stay I have no where to go and I do not have enough money.

BARTHOLOCUK IS NOT MY PARTIARCH

>As I said in other threads, I have very questionable views on the divinity of Jesus.
he's God right hand tho

This a million times.

Christianity threads do not belong on a political forum.

That's a damnable heresy

Truly he is risen!

I feel like I hit rock bottom. I can't give enough of a fuck to go into detail, but damn. Jesus help me through this.

One of the ten commandments is thou shalt not murder, murder being an UNJUSTIFIED killing of a person, killing is permissible, i.e. self defense. You wouldn't break the commandment shooting the guy who was going to kill you.

Now that that is settled, would suicide be breaking that commandment? I am debating whether or not suicide would be considered a justified death depending on the situation.

tl;dr explain, using theological sources and other christian philosophy to help me settle an internal debate on whether or not a person who commits suicide goes to Heaven or Hell, and if it is dependent on the circumstances. Thank you.

Its politically incorrect not political general

why

We are allied, didn't you get the news?
mospat.ru/en/2015/10/28/news124369/

This isn't ecumenism, it's being allies like being allied with Assad.

Read John 1

orthodox here, only christianity there is

HOLY SHIT! PRAISE JESUS IN THE HIGHEST OF HEAVENS!!! Thank you user *bows*

On what grounds

i mean Jesus is God, but is not the Father

One God existing in three distinct persons

>Christianity threads do not belong

This is a christian board.

Greek Orthodox reporting

From what I take from praying is that it won't be enough, but you gotta take action and such. Praying for physical material won't work.

But eventually you will get a good place to work at. Just look for something that is hindering you from that opportunity. If the area is full of people that want to hire the unworthy, try to apply somewhere else or aim for a better resume and sell yourself to them fully at most of your capability. But I wouldn't lie and pretend to be something that they want to hire regardless of knowledge, but appearance. They will eventually figure it out and go bankrupt after hiring the false just for the good of their image and not good business strategy.

As Zyzz said, we're all gonna make it bruh, hang in there!

Hypothetically if a person is truely saved, they will go to heaven no matter what they do, but God does not want you to do that, he will take you home when it is his will, so if you are having those thoughts get help now, because If your not here, than you can't do Gods work

>they will go to heaven no matter what they do
Why does the Bible say you need to do the will of the father to be saved then?

It was a hypothetical, a person cannot lose their salvation John 10:28, but the question is, if someone is truely saved, would they commit suicide

they wouldn't be believing in Jesus, that everything is for better, and are weak

Assume this, you followed every word of Jesus and every virtue, even the stuff omitted from the Catholic bible. You then rejected everything else, whether it's Buddhism or Nietzschism or whatever other result from beautiful human minds. Hypothetically, your entire ideal of virtue was a clone of Jesus.

In this hypothetical state your responses to stimuli from the universe cease to be yours and are much more similar to Jesus's, in fact if you had the same hormone levels as Jesus, which would necessitate the same body of Jesus, or rather the same DNA, would you not convince even Jesus's own mother that you're Jesus bin Hur? Would you not become the risen resurrected Jesus lacking only his episodic memories? I wrote a comment in a YouTube video (don't destroy my anonymity) where I concluded you're "you" no matter what if you can perfectly convince every atom of the universe that nothing has changed.

It's hypocritical but I believe you should find your own path and become your own Christ, but that's just me.. and probably Jesus as well considering his message about "the good news."

Regardless, this is how I interpret the resurrection during the kingdom of heaven. Interestingly, this conclusion is only possible to come to if you believe evolution and reject creationism.

It's actually heresy to say otherwise.

Next confession I'm literally going to ask forgiveness for my blasphemy and heresy, I did something similar the last time I went to confession in late primary school (second time overall).

The word became flesh...

Yes, knowledge can revive personality.

I'd rather not substitute the disadvantage of living in a left wing shithole for the disadvantage of applying for places that require sponsorship for me to move there, or worse, extra paperwork due to not being a citizen.

Besides, I'm broke. I can't afford to move.

Damn yuppies and their implications that you should be allowed such mobility, bro you're wasting money.

Im Muslim who wants to Orthodox. How do I do it

I believe Jesus has saved my soul - and I am in forever debt to him for that. But my physical body is another story - I'm wondering if taking ones own physical life dirties the soul and spirit. I mean, it shouldn't, because faith and faith alone, but I don't know what to think. I'm so lost in life.

Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, that's a heavy part, if he were just a human it would be other story

Look up John pipers prison q and a
He actually addresses this issue

If the universe aligned in a way that you had every inch of jesus's DNA and mannerisms, and exact path and same outcome, you would still not be jesus because you would are not divine. Only god can mandate that.

Read Romans 6 and Get back to me

Salvation is at judgement. If you are judged poorly, then you're not saved.

Read all of John 3
Then all of 1 John then get back to me

Not unpopular at all brother. Protestant here, glad to see some real brotherhood among the church.

>tfw the only Orthodox parish that isn't an hour away is 23 minutes away but services aren't in English

There's a Catholic church 5 min from where I live. It can't be that bad, can it?

I've all of John.

God knows everything beforehand. Whether or not you're saved will have to do with your actions which are up to you, nonetheless. Because you will face judgement for your actions.

Well, Orthodox don't consider Catholics to be a valid Church. But Catholics consider Orthodox to be fully valid, so it depends on the perspective.

You should at least try the Orthodox church before going to the Catholic one.

So my salvation is based on my works then
Eph 2:8-10

Unless one assume that purgatory is the old testament underworld sheol.

What happens to the souls in hell after Revelations?

That's a major leap

This thread's a mess

Eternal torment

Just wondering, what's wrong with Catholicism?

>
Don't follow the Bible

Your salvation isn't based on works, but does require them, Christ and James make this explicitly clear.

Don't conflate works in general with "works in the law" (circumcision, eating kosher, etc.), which is what Paul talks about (Galatians 3)..

>Ορθόδοξοι Χριστιανοί
>δεν μιλάνε ελληνιkά
>δεν ξέρουν το Πιστεύω
ΚΑΝΟΝΙΚΟΙ ΒΓΕΙΤΕ ΕΞΩ ΑΠΟ ΤΟΝ ΠΙΝΑΚΑ ΜΟΥ ΡΕΕΕΕΕΕΕΕΕΕ

>because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

Is this what you were pointing me towards? Sorry, I'm not a person who reads often and my vocabulary isn't great. I'm not that smart. Can you explain?

I thought they all perish in a ball of fire?

The holy spirit is seen as a force that permeates the entire universe, in some ways spirituality which is filtered by our minds and bodies. In Islam it's preached we all share the same soul which is "corrupted" (possibly not the best word) by own minds and bodies to form uniqueness. This doesn't feel wrong IMO, perhaps life itself is the holy spirit passed down from the first molecule that began self replicating.

Bro, everyone is conceived of the holy spirit, if not Jesus' good news is false since only Jesus can achieve what Jesus did. Either Jesus is right and became divine through the word, or Jesus is wrong, pre-60s Catholics are right and only Jesus is capable, thus let's worship Jesus like polytheists worship past pharaohs or Krishna.

Then again, you're probably going to tell me Jesus denies his own divinity even at the end of time. Perhaps, but so would I if it meant empowering everyone else at my expense, why not share the divinity?

Define divinity, IMO it's revelation.

>lowercase g
Having fun trolling?

What if uniting with Jesus simply means accepting his virtues as correct? So long as you allow Jesus to influence your behaviour, you are walking with Jesus.

If God had omniscience, experience itself would be pointless.

The omnigod is false, designed to compete with polytheistic ideas of gods with an almost childish two wrongs making a right thing. Stop preaching falsehoods, God is simply defined at exodus 3:14.

Keep posting the bible quotes though.

yeah, John talks about the second death