Do you think about this album differently after hearing about the allegations regarding Jesse Lacey?

Do you think about this album differently after hearing about the allegations regarding Jesse Lacey?

No, because I'm not a shithead who can't separate the artist from the art.

I dont really care about the allegations much.So nothing changed

Just started listening to Brand New because of the allegations.

yes, i like it more now

Me 2

I don't want to like it but it's kind of the same thing as Crystal Castles. It's much more interesting now that there's substance behind it.

Not at all. Everything Brand New (and honestly the majority of indie based rock music, another example being The Smiths) is basically "look at how much of a shitty human being I am please pity me" romanticized to stupid levels. Having the laziest songwriting bar a couple exceptions backing this garbage up only makes it less redeemable.

Nah, still really don't like it. No more than before though

No, because the album was always about how he was a dick but now he's trying to do well but still hates himself over what he's done.

Yeah I didn't really specify it well in the original post but I meant do you think about the substance of the album and context differently more than anything instead of whether or not you can still listen to it based off the allegations

always hated it with passion
just happy now watching tumblrinas and soyboys sad for their favorite pop punk shit

crystal castles has substance? do explain.

No, he didn't do anything wrong.
Fuck off, the art is a representation of the artist. There is no separating them.

I think the separation between artist and the art depends on the circumstance. I always try to separate the two, but sone instances are difficult.

While you can hear lyrics that mirror what his confession states (as others have pointed out), this album isn't too difficult to listen to as a stand alone (neither is their other work, the ones worth listening to anyways).

With something like Crystal Castles, it's way harder, almost because 1) the one band member harassed the other for years, and 2) the behaviour can almost be heard in the music.

Of course, if you go full Lost Prophets, then it's a different story, and everything will be atrocious (luckily I didn't give a shit about them to begin with). Also, the LP thing makes this Brand New stuff way more tolerable.

>Fuck off, the art is a representation of the artist. There is no separating them.

>these sound waves were conceived from someone I don't like, that means my brain must interpret them negatively

t. pedo

uhhh, I will listen to whatever I please in private, but I think it gets moved over to the guilty pleasure section. I won't support them by buying shit/going to shows but like said, I'll listen to what I please.

I used to like CC because of themes of abuse and whatnot but I thought it was just them being edgy. Alice Glass is accusing Ethan of repeated rape so he's suing her. I believe her which kind of makes the music feel a lot dirtier and that's exactly what I like.

this

i thought it was complete shit before, my opinions remains unfazed

The mentality of the artist is important in the creation of their work AND their nefarious actions in life. If you don't think so, you're being naive.

I still love Brand New's music but you're wrong.

I wonder what this person has to say
>Crazium
nah, don't think i'll read this one :)

this legit made me laugh out loud

Fuck you, elitist cunt.

You’re actually the biggest butthole buccaneer on this website and if you made music you’d be the only “artist” I wouldn’t be able to separate from your “art” because you’re such an insufferable, self-righteous shitsucker. Also you review music like christgau. Fuck you.

man brand new and crystal castles are two of my favorite bands, really sucks to see that both ethan and jesse are people who have conducted sexual misconduct..

Do people actually think about this kind of thing? I don't give a shit about Jesse Lacey so it has absolutely no bearing on how I hear his music. Maybe it would be different if I actually knew the guy but as it stands there are about a million other things I'd rather lose sleep over.

Isn't the Crystal Castles guy suing for defamation?

I suppose The Smiths is a bit less so and more "hah let's try to be satirical like Oscar Wilde", really. Then again that is his style.

yeah but honestly, I believe alice it makes perfect sense what she's said and even the thing with Ethan being as old as he was when he met her was weird

bodied