What format do you collect?

What format of music do you collect most of? Vinyl? CD? Cassette? Picture disk? I'm looking to start collecting but can't decide which format is worth the time and money.

Other urls found in this thread:

vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25970
rarerecords.net/record-info/japanese-records-the-appeal-of-japan-lps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I’m a poorfag so I don’t collect anything.

If I can't find a vinyl I look for a cassette if I can't find a cassette I look for a CD
Actually speaking the largest part of my collection is CD

vinyl is cool to collect because the artwork is big, and sometimes they make it on different colored plastic. can be expensive though. dont pay more than 20$ for a record, or its a scam

FLAC

vinyl, cassette and CD.

whatever's available/cheapest for the album i wanna buy.

will usually opt for vinyl over cassette over CD if all three are available or similarly priced.

24 bit WEB FLAC and vinyl
All other formats are worthless

92kbs cassetterips.

cd honestly. cheaper used and i can play it in my car. good quality

vinyl is primary, if it's stupidly expensive i'll go for a CD copy instead

Mostly CDs, although I have a bunch of casette tapes (mostly demos, stuff that wasn't ever edited in any other format) and some vinyl.

MINICD?

supreme weeaboo

Reminder that if you collect physical media and buy anything other than Japanese first pressings when they are an option than you are doing it wrong
Japanese pressings are always the best quality possible, often have bonus tracks, better pressing quality, better wax, higher quality sleeves, unique gatefolds, obi strips, and are just generally more valuable

>Japanese pressings are always the best quality possible
muh proofs?

vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25970
rarerecords.net/record-info/japanese-records-the-appeal-of-japan-lps/

Selling international music in Japan is difficult and expensive, so the people buying it will only buy top quality stuff (Japan has one of the biggest audiophile communities on the planet). So they have very high standards for releases, they use virgin vinyl and are much more strict with their pressing quality. You will almost never find a badly pressed Japanese LP, while western ones are fairly common.

Something is automatically good just because it's pressed in Japan. There's shit pressing companies and good ones in any country, it's not all equal.

Vinyl and digital.

Any format over 320kbps

Vinyl for home, CDs for car
though I've been thinking of buying a cd player if I can find one for pretty cheap on craigslist or something

CDs. It's both a hobby and an unhealthy coping mechanism. I reckon I own 2000-3000 CDs and about 50 records.

These aren't cheap CDs either; most of them are imports from reissue labels like Bear Family and Ace.

I collect all so I can listen to it either at home or in a car.
I primarily have CDs tho

>tfw spending more money on CDs than I can afford

>Be poor college student
>Want a CD
>It was a limited release thing, exclusively from a live show
>It goes on sale on Discogs for twenty bucks right after I pay rent

It's weird to think that kids these days won't grow up with any physical format of music and only listen digitally.

I routinely spend 20 bucks on CDs.

I mostly collect CDs (I just bought a bunch today, actually) and occasionally vinyl. I only get vinyl if it's an album I know and love.

Same fellas

CDs

I don't think my job at McDicks will sustain me if I keep buying as much as I do.
Pic related is my collection

Good to know I'm not the only CDfag on this board.

I see no appeal in CDs or casettes, beyond picking some up for $1 at a thrift store to put on in the car. Vinyl is just so much more fun with the big pictures and the spinning plastic circle

No denying vinyl is fun, but it's also much more expensive to collect. Especially if you're a frequent buyer. CD's are a nice middle ground.

To be honest it depends on my mood I have space for all content so sometimes I go in and see a cassette or vinyl I’ll want. Just depends on what I find.

They're also more reliable.

this basically/

I enjoy being poor and watching my wealthy friends who don't really take music very seriously buy RHCP and 21 Pilots albums on vinyl.

and easier to put into a computer

Digital collection, starting vinyl.

Wew lad is it expensive.

Cassette, but I buy vinyl for that easy flip. (Bought that vapormeme Macintosh Plus for 30 and sold for easy 90, plus sitting on two others)

CDs are too easy to fuck up. I've tried to maintain a collection but it ends up in my car all scratched up. I can treat my shit too nicely. Cassettes are fun. My first memories are my fathers collection and I grew up to see CDs take over at a young age.

do you use any dedicated equipment to play them?

MP3 lame V0 or V2

CD, id love to collect vinyl but no player, cassettes are cool too though

just started collecting FLAC up until now, gave up because legal flac/lossless is too hard to find. Gonna start collecting vinyl records

I buy "all" three formats. Vinyl is my preference, CDs are alright too if digital isn't easily available, starting to collect cassettes only recently.

>Japanese pressings are always the best quality possible
(not true by the way)

>Picking cassette over CD

Buying cassettes was really only acceptable in the 80s and earlier 90s if you were too poor for vinyl and CD, or wanted portability before CD walkmans and car stereos.

Nowadays its the ultimate contrarian format. Should only be bought if its the only way to own an obscure demo or something.

I buy vinyl and CDs. Generally I look for vinyl first but if there's no good options (or isn't on it all) I'll go for the CD instead which I honestly am semi-relieved when its the case in many instances. When you get used to buying vinyl, CDs are just so refreshingly cheap and practical. It's such a sensible format, they're underrated desu. It's a great time to buy them since they're not trendy and don't have the retro-cool meme status.

minidisc, honestly an unbeaten format. good audio and very convenient.

I mostly collect CDs. Solid sound quality, plays in most cars, and if your computer breaks you have physical backup copies of all your favorite stuff. Tapes are also fun to collect though

Hah, I guess.
/jp/ doesn't know about any of these artists, though, they're not related to anime/2hu.

Wax cylinders

well picture discs are the biggest waste, dont start there

CDs for most albums, but if I really like the album artwork/the album itself I'll opt for vinyl. The handful of cassettes I have are from a thrift shop + bandcamp, not something I actively seek out.

The absolute state of that chair lad