Piano

Any pianists here?

I'm a total beginner with total 15 minutes spent messing around with the instrument.
Any tips on how to start would be greatly appreciated :>

Start with one of those beginner books for kids.

Don't be phased by the fact it's on a 4-year old level. You will learn fingerings for common scales in a straightforward and easy way, and it'll make it easier to play real songs once you are finished with the kid book.

Also, practice with a metronome.

If you do these things for a few months you will have a very good foundation and then you can learn some pop songs or the king of carrot flowers lol

Get a teacher. I know it sounds like a drag but its the best way to learn fast

this, when you get good, start learning a new song as much as possible. Also avoid synthesia videos; they are poison

piano player here. the best tip I can give you: play only what you like. forcing yourself to practice scales without having fun will bring you nothing in the long run, believe me.

so, if you want to learn to play piano, I guess there are some tunes or piano parts in tunes that you like. figure them out or look for the sheet music and practice them

if you want I can give you some hints on technique, too

>Also, practice with a metronome.
>Start with one of those beginner books for kids

so much bad advice, sorry

Will you please provide better advice

>metronome
I know nobody that practiced to a metronome and got better timing. the best case is that you sound like a machine. play with others to get better timing and if you play alone you don't need it. you won't get better in playing with others anyway. Some idiots might say that's not true, but I'm sure non of them is really musician

>beginner books
that's the kind of thinking that the human mind is like a machine. like when in a movie someone learns for an exam and you hear music playing while he studies and then it's done. it doesn't work that way. the key to getting good at something is following the path of your taste. that's btw also the only way to get something like personality and style. nobody likes the crap from practicing books for children and they should be banned forever. just look for stuff you like and look for something easier when it's too hard, maybe you have to look for something that consists only of a few notes. Bartok's microcosmos is a good example or clementi sonatinas

How else would someone learn the absolute basics without some kind of beginner method book? Did you come out of the womb knowing how to read sheet music?

how did you learn to speak? with alphabetical exercises or by emulating other people speaking, even with the risc of failing? I know that it's the common way to learn an instrument, but it's a bad and uneffective way

Jesus Christ, that has to be the worst analogy

>that has to be the worst analogy

why? learning your mother language is obviously the highest learning efficiency you can get. It's hard to swallow because you have to rethink all your learning methods, but believe me, it is worth it. I was in a dead end with my piano playing for years until I realized that I was pushing it to much. Playing only what I liked solved all the pressure and a few years later it is fun for me to practice scales for two hours

blackpill: get a teacher if you want to get good at playing piano, if you want to get good at playing just pop songs then you can learn on your own

Because you're completely immersed in language from birth. We're talking about some user trying to teach themselves piano a few hours a week

so what? if he just does it to impress someone then he should let it and do something that he genuinely like, he'll be glad a few years later. if he really likes it on the other hand NOT playing what he likes is just a waste of time. talent is synonymous to interest.

maybe you're immersed in language, but it was just an example. kids have the best learning curves because they do what they like. they paint, they write, they play catch etc. without comparing themselves to others, that's why they get better fast. and that's the reason adults glorify childhood but don't do this simple step to live like that again. That's the main difference between thinking like a kid and thinking like an adult: planing your actions vs. realizing the value of what you did in the retrospective

it's best to get the fundamentals of good technique before trying to learn pieces. will make it a great deal easier later

that sounds like you have two stages: learning technique as a beginner and playing the instrument later. But you do always both. you are never 'finished' with learning technique and you don't need maturity to play pieces. noone would get the idea to do singing exercises for a few month and then start to sing. You start with singing in a choir and learn technique simultaneosly.
I can relate to the way of thinking that you have to force yourself to get better at something, but especially in art this is terrible. It's the path to being mediocre and missing what you're really born for.
The greatest artists/athletes certainly practiced alot, but if you read interviews they did it because it was their passion. They would never have thought of not doing it. Everybody has something like them, but you can only find it if you follow your passion. It's not your will that decides your talents

speaking as someone who attended a music conservatoire, you're a retard mate

>attended a music conservatoire

how does that make your opinion any better? I attended a high school and a college, do I know the best way the human species can improve their learning ability?

i didn't actually attend a conservatoire i was just shitposting

all of the points you've made about music learning are valid but if you've literally never played a musical instrument before (as I imagine op hasn't) you need to have the fundamentals down first. both playing with a metronome and using children's instruction books are excellent ways of doing this. what you've said is true: i have never taken guitar lessons but i'm fairly competent at it now from simply playing what i enjoy. but I was only able to do this because i was already highly classically trained which made learning guitar a more intuitive experience. it's my opinion that if you don't have the basics down (which from the sounds of it you had before you 'played for yourself') you won't go far

I agree with this guy, i have been playing piano for 6 years, and when i got my first keyboard, i tried playing stuff i liked, even though that repertoire was way out of my league, like Chopin nocturnes, impromptus, Beethoven sonatas.
Young, stupid and motivated as i was, i slugged through very advanced pieces without knowing the basics, and stuff that would take a month to a competent knowing piano player to learn, took me literally a year to sound even passable.