/classical/

Schnittke edition

youtube.com/watch?v=M3Xehs1rHfM
youtube.com/watch?v=M3EuHTOLG8o
youtube.com/watch?v=nL7HsRrk5Jk

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ORxsaRR4aLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ke7kwQ4CGCw
youtube.com/watch?v=AFbk4Lcfqdc
youtube.com/watch?v=E8IwbnmJ_8M
youtube.com/watch?v=yrYRhVSEQtg
youtube.com/watch?v=9rGUov3Adlk
lieder.net/lieder/assemble_texts.html?SongCycleId=50
youtu.be/q_bJqv-epWE
youtube.com/watch?v=iLBseM98EQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=n-XHIjuUFvo
youtube.com/watch?v=0XOXpWnqXlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qmqqLzKVsJg
youtube.com/watch?v=95gL5U4ILFc
youtube.com/watch?v=fb2rX7-pmL8
youtube.com/watch?v=dC3C548xxSw
youtube.com/watch?v=puTg2KpfAbs
c.lewd.se/ynNGUL_SymphonyNo.7inEminor(SongoftheNight)III.Scherzo.Schattenhaft.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=XF4UgStBdIE
youtube.com/watch?v=ugY9CQeeNaA
youtube.com/watch?v=ueN-U7ep61I
youtube.com/watch?v=-oF-wjh-BQk
youtube.com/watch?v=-GrnwzEhi_E
youtube.com/watch?v=woFZkFqBu1w
youtube.com/watch?v=jihwaSesnzw
youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-YTeZwKQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=t7hFKqSdKao
youtube.com/watch?v=g0WVh1D0N50
soundcloud.com/psllbof
youtube.com/watch?v=epCh7QQPbS4
youtube.com/watch?v=sr86oHr7ZyE
youtube.com/watch?v=SEkcP8lZvZA
youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL253192EED47525A8
google.com/patents/US7915515
youtube.com/watch?v=hF_XgRwR7r8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mendelssohn

youtube.com/watch?v=ORxsaRR4aLQ

Ravel - Pavane pour une infante défunte

youtube.com/watch?v=ke7kwQ4CGCw

lol

>tfw you recall having listened to some of the greatest music about 5 years ago and can't remember the first thing about it only that it was good

Brahms

youtube.com/watch?v=AFbk4Lcfqdc

>Schnittke edition

Nice

youtube.com/watch?v=E8IwbnmJ_8M

convinced that Der Jungling auf dem Hugel is one of Schubert's best songs

Debussy

youtube.com/watch?v=yrYRhVSEQtg

Schoenberg

youtube.com/watch?v=9rGUov3Adlk

lieder.net/lieder/assemble_texts.html?SongCycleId=50

the fact that there are plebes that listen to pop/rock on this site sickens me.

Is Karl Jenkins underrated?
youtu.be/q_bJqv-epWE
Every time I listen to him I feel like running through the african savanna naked
Not many composers can do that

youtube.com/watch?v=iLBseM98EQQ

ayy

>pop/rock
It really does pale in comparison once you get into classical.

Mendelssohn string quartet no.6 in f minor...

Taneyev

youtube.com/watch?v=n-XHIjuUFvo
youtube.com/watch?v=0XOXpWnqXlQ

youtube.com/watch?v=qmqqLzKVsJg

Manlets, when will they learn?

Listen to Weber.

youtube.com/watch?v=95gL5U4ILFc

Which instruments does /classical/ play?

I want to learn piano, it's a bit hard to find lessons for adults in my area.

youtube.com/watch?v=fb2rX7-pmL8

the opening of tannhauser is one of my favorite melodies ever

I'm new to classical music, so I'm unsure of where to find something like this, but I'm wondering about contemporary flute concertos or contemporary music featuring flute.

you can hear the pads in the recording what the fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=dC3C548xxSw

agreed

None, but I used to play contrabass.

piano (decently, very amateur though)
sax (decently, very amateur though)
oboe (shittily)

Not sure about contemporary stuff, but I love this flute piece.

youtube.com/watch?v=puTg2KpfAbs

Apparently it was James Joyce's favorite piece of music.

Trying to remember a piece which I believe starts on cello and then some high pitched eerie strings come in, it may be a quartet. It might have been used in some film but i'm not sure.

>Herbert Kegel has a recording of Carmen

I've been looking for a piece written by a jewish composer thats about dreaming.

Does a nightmare count?

c.lewd.se/ynNGUL_SymphonyNo.7inEminor(SongoftheNight)III.Scherzo.Schattenhaft.mp3

Mahler's 7th Symphony, 3rd movement.

bumptoven

Mascagni

youtube.com/watch?v=XF4UgStBdIE

Violin 15 years.

But I don't regularly browse /classical

its good but its not what I'm looking for.

played violin for a few years as a kid, played rock bass for a while

youtube.com/watch?v=ugY9CQeeNaA

bumpzold

Why not post some fucking music when you bump?

youtube.com/watch?v=ueN-U7ep61I

no one clicks on the links anyway

nah fuck off they appeal to different parts of my taste stop being such an unapologetic snob

played piano for 20 years
still not that great though lol

Tim Parkinson
youtube.com/watch?v=-oF-wjh-BQk

also can anyone recommend me some 'classic' or essential baroque operas? listened to a recording of dido & aeneas yesterday and i thought it was great and would like some more similar works

youtube.com/watch?v=-GrnwzEhi_E

youtube.com/watch?v=woFZkFqBu1w
bartok?
sounds like bernhard herrmann soundtracks

thanks
youtube.com/watch?v=jihwaSesnzw

Go back to Sup Forums

This general isn't meant for the likes of you

no u

wolff
youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-YTeZwKQQ

youtube.com/watch?v=t7hFKqSdKao

keyboard, guitar, cello (mediocrely), drumkit, voice, piva piemontese (poorly), penny whistle (poorly). I can technically play gamelan and koto as well, although I don't remember any of the koto notation.
These days my main instrument is accordion though.

Began work scoring out my symphony, /classical/ - its a big project. The writing is 90% done (in DAW), but the actual score is the next step.

who have been your stylistic and/or theoretical influences for your composition
youtube.com/watch?v=g0WVh1D0N50

Mostly Martinů, a bit of Lilburn.
Positive feel, lots of lydian, syncopated rhythms, lyrical melodies and lush orchestration is the main aesthetic, although it varies movement to movement.
Its in 6 short movements, probably be about 25 -30 min long

what daw do you use?

A mediocre one that I'm used to and have worked with for 17+ years. (FL Studio) I have Kontakt 4 and 5 and bunch of nice sample libraries so it can at least get close to what I'm writing for.

At this stage for me a DAW is all about getting things done quickly and efficiently and hence I haven't moved to Cubase and may never unless I start doing a lot more film work.

Going back to Sibelius 6 and I'm noticing some really retarded things I would like to change - like the view jumping to the end of whatever you have selected every time you change zoom. Also jumping to the end of a whatever you just pasted. Both of these features I will try to disable as I'm doing a lot of copy-pasting (from a MIDI export from the DAW) and zooming while having a large amount of material selected.
I know Sibelius well and hopefully I can turn these features off as they're slowing things down.

>A mediocre one that I'm used to and have worked with for 17+ years. (FL Studio)
you are me bro, I've been using it since 2005
I thought no one uses FL for classical excepting me, and I'm a weird nut because of this
did you switch to FL 12? I didn't like it because it has a new EDM-oriented design, so I got Reaper instead

Nah I stuck to FL 11. I tend to put off changing programs as long as possible.

The mock-ups of my symphony are on my soundcloud if you want to have a listen:
soundcloud.com/psllbof

They're way down the list after the million fugues - there's a "Symphony No.1 - Central Otago" playlist with 4 movements, although I have some changes planned for the 3rd movement (Better timpani parts that match the Song of Monk harp part)

>The mock-ups of my symphony are on my soundcloud if you want to have a listen:
not bad, but it all sounds too raw
>Nah I stuck to FL 11. I tend to put off changing programs as long as possible.
yeah, now I'm convinced you're literally me

also, what vst do you use for piano? is it pianoteq? c:

Piano is all done on Reason - its one of the Reason Piano Refills. One of the only reasons I use Reason is the decent piano samples in those refills.

Holy shit! So you're that kiwi bloke who posted his soundcloud ages ago on /comp/.
Keep on composing, fugueman.

I suggest you try Pianoteq, it's quite amazing for a 20 Mb piano synth

Cheers, I'll check it out. The piano library I have at the moment is 580MB, but if PIanoteq has Steinway & Sons approval it's worth trying.

I just got some great organ libraries so likely the next fugue will be organ

i played french horn as a teenager, now learning piano

Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream?

Which version of Nabucco would you suggest?

I've recently decided to look for entirely synthesized instrument plugins, because I'm getting tired of humongous sample libraries
Also, have you ever tried out the Synful orchestra? it's a full orchestral instruments synthesizer

How to fix the youth's attention span to music? I suggest forcefeeding them Bach and Mahler.

Let them enjoy what they like. Who cares?

I do.

if you want a decent sampled piano, (and you don't want to pay money) you should go down the kontakt route.

i can recommend the following libraries:
- Galaxy Vintage D (good all rounder. support for half and repedalling). there are a few newer releases by the same company, but they're not as nice as the vintage D.
- 8dio legacy steinway 1928 - good, relatively warm, mic placement when the recording was done is not completely ideal from a playing perspective. it sits well in a mix, but the piano seems somewhat distant if you just want to sit down and play.
-piano in blue - this is another steinway model d, recorded in its original studio where it was used on a number of notable jazz records. it's pretty good, as long as you're not using sustain for extended periods of time. it appears as if the the samples were run through tape introducing a relatively high noise floor. during periods of long sustain, with long notes, the noise build up can be very distracted.

the other option you have (to pay for) is:
synthogy ivory range - neutral recordings, very versatile, generally considered more expressive than others.

other notable ones alicia's keys (which is better than the name suggests), the imperfect samples range (highly coloured - easy to slot into mixes, but not the greatest to play) and a number of other native instruments offerings.

additional note: don't use the default reverbs for any of those. they're passable for when you're playing, but ideally you want to run through a good convolution reverb: altiverb is the industry standard.

> a jew

Daily reminder that if hitler had won, the only music that would exist today would be classical

Reger

youtube.com/watch?v=epCh7QQPbS4

samples betray their typewriter/snapshot characteristic with increasing speed of playing. pianoteq made them all obsolete. mics can be re-arranged in version 6 too.
youtube.com/watch?v=sr86oHr7ZyE

while i like pianoteq, it's far from a perfect physical simulation. it's superb from player perspective, not so much as a substitute for a real piano in a mix, imo.

No, but it is quite similar to that, I thought it might be another Bartok piece but I tried all his quartets and none seem to match.

Clarinet
voice

percussion so timps/marimba/vibes etc.

what do you think about truepianos

Mendelssohn
youtube.com/watch?v=SEkcP8lZvZA

samuel barber?

youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450

piano quite well, some other instruments not well

genuinely interested: shouldn't a piano player have personality/style that he can put into his music? I don't get the use of these programs, because even if they sound perfectly like real pianos they will never have personality. I would rather listen to very basic stuff played by a human being than to advanced stuff played by a machine. So why don't use your time to learn to play on a real piano?

pianoteq has a lot of personality
try it

>has a lot of personality
that's my question: how can a machine have personality? it can emulate personality at best, like text-to-voice-software

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL253192EED47525A8

i plan on trying to learn with this once i buy my piano

>I don't get the use of these programs, because even if they sound perfectly like real pianos they will never have personality
what do you mean? real pianos also don't have "personality" unless you play them
also, you can program them manually so they'll have personality, via a DAW. Playing like a performer or meticulously programming like a composer, which approach results in more personality?

yes, I mean if you play them. everyone who's ever programmed a piano track into a DAW knows that it's a pain in the ass. I like it much better to play directly on piano and record it, even if it has some flaws in the end. It sounds much more interesting because it was made by a human being.

it pre-calculates all the necessary parameters for damping, resonance or the microtuning of the unisono strings for each note, so that while the realtime synthesis is still a basic fourier series the expressional depth and coherence of the whole sound is much more nuanced than in previous synths or samples. additional realism comes from measuring real parameters on existing models.
all explained here if you are interested in details
google.com/patents/US7915515

I know, it sounds like any real person is playing it, but it's only an emulation. It doesn't sound like one certain person is playing it. I find it boring to listen to something like that

I don't disagree. Actually, I have ADD and listening to Opera and long Symphonic works has certainly helped a lot.

Wagner

youtube.com/watch?v=hF_XgRwR7r8

>24
Knaaaaaaaaaaa

i've tried to explain why this isnt the case and you dont even seem to register, too dogmatic with the whole "man vs machine" trope

I get your point. I just don't see the use of it