There are 2,341 total playable guitar chords. Why is popular guitar music, especially rock music...

There are 2,341 total playable guitar chords. Why is popular guitar music, especially rock music, comprised of just the same few chords?

Other urls found in this thread:

fretjam.com/support-files/uncommon-chords-vol1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

post some huge chart of not well known guitar chords

>comprised of just the same few chords
your figure probably includes the same chords but transposed; pop music is made up of the same chords but in very different transpositions or pitches
>2,341 total playable guitar chords
most of those chords would be highly dissonant and wouldn't appeal to the average listener, including me or you

Because the other 2300 aren't needed and are just ways that pretentious snobs can say to each other "Woah, look at this complex chord structure that sounds like complete horseshit!"

Yeah, no thanks.

its a lot more than "a few". with all the inversions and forms and 7ths its probably more like 40 or something. and it's because those chords are what define it as rock.

True, but there are still a lot of unexplored possibilities.

doubt it, there's a reason why I-IV-V-vi exists and has developed over the years and that's because it's got the broadest appeal. speaking as a guitar player the amount of chords i could play by just putting two or more of my fingers randomly on the fret board would be phenomenal, but the vast majority of these wouldn't sound great and i wouldn't be able to use them in a 'pop' song

ALWAYS REMEMBER WHAT UNCLE LOU SAID

My point though is that re-using the same chord structures just for the sake of conventionality and broad appeal is perhaps needlessly limiting. Dissonance has been explored in art music and in other genres to great effect. Just because it doesn't necessarily have broad appeal doesn't mean it isn't worth investigating.

lol shut the fuck up nerd

>b-but its happens there but not here?!
u sound really gay tbqh

it has been explored in rock music though it's just that those explorations have never been and will never be broadly popular. if you really want to listen to 'rock/pop' with dissonance it isn't hard to find it's just not got mainstream appeal and so thus is unlikely to be on the radio

no u
Do you have any examples? I mean there's harsh noise and stuff like that, but there doesn't seem to much going on within the guitar genres that really breaks out of the standard rock and blues conventions.

This

I wanna hear some of those chords :\

unironically deftones

early joni mitchell

Prog rock, RiO, avant prog, experimental/chamber rock groups

Do you really think is all about the chords?
Music is usually made by notes,chords are also a physical preference sometime not only a matter of sound...i mean i'm not really sure to understand what you're talking about...do you even listen to a lot of music? Do you play guitar? Do you watch any live shows wtf?
It's definitely not all the same chords out there, not all about the chords anyway.
Are you aware about open tunings btw?
There's really a shit ton of ways you can make music and play an instrument no fucking rules really.

The vast majority of these are inversions, duplicates, variations of the same chord, or just plain ugly.

There are only 12 notes, which means there are only 12 main chords, each with their basic major and minor variations.

24 chords then, but sometimes youll rarely hear leading tone chord, aka half diminished
So 12 more, 36, and if inversions count we multiply by 3, total of 108 chords for pop

Why the fuck would inversions count as separate chords

lotta king gizzard's shit, check out flying mirotonal banana

That'd be sick

They have different functions, like making bass lines/melodies smoother while changing up the high harmonies, they have different affects for voicing/arranging instruments. They could just fit the song better

deadass

make some yourself

fretjam.com/support-files/uncommon-chords-vol1.pdf

Change from standard E tuning and you can find many interesting voicings. Add open string on weird tunings and you can get close to sonic youth.