Let's discuss this movie shall we

let's discuss this movie shall we

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/08/captain-fantastic-review-viggo-mortensen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

based viggo was 10/10

it felt hipster as fuck but i kinda liked it

So what if one of his kids wasn't a genius and athletically inclined enough to do his retarded living off the grid?

Seemed to have lucked out that all of his kids could read college level books at age 6.

there's no such thing as dumb people just lazy people

derp

Peter Bradshaw ripped it a new arsehole
theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/08/captain-fantastic-review-viggo-mortensen

I'm surprised this isn't a Wes Anderson movie.

Watched it last night.

11/10

needed more Viggo penis

>watches anderson once

The DUDE capitalism is bad LMAO was kinda obnoxious, but it did have a somewhat enticing story and the acting was decent so I'll give it a 6.

Well if Peter Bradshaw, THE Peter Bradshaw, doesn't like it then I sure as hell won't either.

I hope youre not being ironic here. Even though its the guardian he is a very good critic

rewatch it and pay attention for when the daughter is talking about lolita

she literally spell the lesson of the movie for the audience

I personally know people, one family in particular, that live similar lives like them. Very chill people and have one of the most interesting and seemingly fulfilling lifestyles ive ever encountered'
sort of jealous

>There’s a meaty whiff of phoney-baloney in this fatuous and tiresome movie, replete with forced emotional crises and wrong notes, topped off with an excruciatingly unearned, sentimental ending. It’s a low-cal version of Peter Weir’s 1986 movie The Mosquito Coast, starring someone who is essentially a cross between Charles Manson and Captain von Trapp.

>Ben (a blandly conceited performance by Viggo Mortensen) has taken his six children away from America’s soul-rotting consumerist nonsense to live a tough, pure survivalist lifestyle in the forests of the Pacific Northwest – drilling them to athletic perfection and teaching them about Chomsky and Dostoyevsky. But his uncompromising demands have taken their toll on the children’s mother, who is now in hospital, and causes a terrible confrontation with Ben’s reactionary father-in-law, Jack (Frank Langella).

>So is Ben a creepy authoritarian cult leader or quixotic countercultural hero? Perhaps we are supposed to believe he’s a charismatic mix of the two. But it’s fudged, and there is something wildly and unintentionally pompous and preposterous about Ben, who is against “organised religion” but appears to think Buddhism is somehow ethically and intellectually superior to Christianity. This is a macho story of men’s intellectual development: Ben’s son, Bo (George MacKay) is the putative academic star; the sisters aren’t important and, in this film, women are either irrelevant, saintly or dead.

>very good critic

I haven't read any of his other reviews, but if that is a standard example of his writing then, in my opinion. he isn't very good

Maybe he had a chip on his shoulder watching this, but personally would consider his opinion worth listening to along with the women who does the evening standard reviews. Eitherway, I figured it was worth posting in a thread when a legitimate critic rips a new one into a film

What is your point? I remember the scene but I don't get how it goes against anything I said.

Doesn't seem very negative compared to his 1 star rating.

Hipster? Do you know what year it is? Hipsters don't exist anymore, my dude. Are you the type of guy that also accuses people of being "emo"?

>The story is told by his point of view, I know it is wrong but I feel sympathy for him, but I hate him

They tell a story by Viggo's point of view to make it looks like happy flowers and shit, but you know it is not a right enviroment for kids

the movie is actually anti communist

He definitely had a chip on his shoulder.
Oh well, it's healthy to read reviews that present differing opinions from ones own, but that particular review gave nothing to me.
Read through a handful of his other reviews and he seems to write a whole lot better when he reviews films he enjoy.

you're supposed to hate viggo's character right?

Wheres Owen Wilson and Bill Murray?

a touching creepy moment

no you're supposed to hate yourself

See
This looks beautiful by Viggo's point of view but is insanity

kirsten stewart too

That's one interpretation of it.
>it is not a right enviroment for kids
That depends on how you look at it. Ben (Viggo) taught morals and skills to his children that he thought valuable for them to have, which caused positive growth in their intellectual and physical capabilities. The family relationship was close-nit and the children listened and had both love and respect towards their father.
I'd say that their upbringing was very good and although it had it's faults and dangers (the rockclimbing was maybe a tad over the top) the father always had his childrens best interest in mind. The problem with that was his own thoughts on what the best for his children entailed.
The lifestyle he taught his family is not very compatible with "normal" societal life, but that in itself was a heavy criticism towards our society as it made a clear point in how modern society is (for the most part) more damaging than empowering to children and people overall.
But, learning to live and engage in modern society is important, something the children didn't learn in the woods, and for that reason it wasn't the wholly "right" environment for the children, which made the ending very heartwarming as it served as a compromise of lifestyles.

This was nothing like a Roy Andersson film.

>insanity
because of the risk of disease or?

>Peter Bradshaw
lol

How is this creepy?

I dunno, I guess I would find hanging out with the embalmed corpse of my dead mother that i recently dug up a bit weird and uncomfortable

It's no different from a wake.

Its a bit different, you generally don't play with the corpse's hair during a wake

wakes are creepy

That's their mother, and they don't care about formalities.

yeah the correct term is Nu-Male.

I having my doubts watching this movie, but that's because I don't want to watch it alone, nobody I know wants to see it.

>I don't want to watch it alone
Why is that?

huh
didn't catch that