>>76283753

>what the fuck should i think about sturgil simpson?
you ask anons what to think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LHJhyrrUTgc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do you really hate country, or do you just hate modern mainstream country? check out alt/red dirt country for more stuff you might like

yeah this
pop country is garbage
stick with americana. I have a soft spot for 90s country as well, since I grew up listening

His album was really good. I'm glad him and Chris Stapleton are really popular. Country is one of the only genres left where a good musician in that genre can get a top 10 hit in that genre.

I was working with a buddy the other day and music got brought up, my brother and I both grew up listening to country artists like early toby keith, clint black, tim mcgraw, and our dad liked some older artists like janis joplin and willie nelson, so that was on quite often. we start talking about country music today and he's dropping names like jason aldean and blake shelton saying he can't listen to "that old shit"

I don't get the appeal of bro-country

I like his music. Went to see his concert as well.

I hate this fucking board

It's for people who don't like country. They just like to get fucked up to post grunge or rap. But since rock bands are either effeminate or not popular and since hip hop is trap now, they needed something else to listen to. one of the only actual country songs, albeit pop country, is Drinking Problem, and that's just because it references alcohol a lot and young milenials/gen zers need explicit references to getting high or drinking too much. That's why Closer was such a huge hit last year. That's why bro country is popular. Make southern pop rock with or without a hip hop tinge and then reference drinking in the chorus or first verse.

ITT: rednecks

t. soyboy

I listen to almost exclusively glitch and generative music

take it how you will, as i'm just a fag on a malaysian weeb music board, but i worked with Sturgil Simpson and *he is the fucking worst*. just a greasy, unrepentantly gross manchild. i have several friends who've also worked with him, or s.j.'d at venues hes played at.

quick anecdote: ended up going for a ride with him on after a gig, because my friend - a s.j. - had to drive him back to his house to find a shirt. we sat at his coffee table, covered in about 2409r782374 ash trays and seven boxes of half eaten mike & ikes. what seems like an hour later of uncomfortable stillness he comes barreling out of his bedroom, a little sweaty, panting, and drops fuckin STACKS of vhs tapes on the table in front of us. we were both pretty confused at the point. he then pops one in his combo vhs/dvd player and it's him getting blown by some poor chick with really fuckin terrible roots, he then puts the shirt over his body, turns to my friend and says, "this good?"

it is one of the most surreal, ridiculous moments of my life.

>It's another "Country sucks but I love Sturgill Simpson" thread

why is this board so ignorant

obviously fake but good lol

Yes because rednecks sure do love Jason Molina and Ryan Adams and early Wilco.

No you dipshit they're listening to fucki t Jason Aldean.

Good pasta

Stapleton's new album was pretty good too. He does a good job of translating the roots-country style for a mainstream audience.

Honestly I like Sturgill because he fuses country and rock and folk and is also super leftist. The country he makes isn't just "yee haw" shit with pop production like 99% of country out there.

Nobody else does that. Or at least not in the last 40 years.

>Honestly I like Sturgill because he fuses country and rock and folk and is also super leftist.
>Nobody else does that. Or at least not in the last 40 years.
lmao. is this b8?

No? Why do you think that?

He strikes me more as a radical centrist.

There are a bunch of left leaning country musicians that combine rock and folk elements. It's basically the entire subgenre of alt country. I've also seen at least a dozen people at a local coffee shop fit this exact description.

Name some then. Because I've sure as hell never heard of that.

Jason Isbell, The Drive by Truckers, Wilco, and Ryan Adams are some of the really popular ones even though I don't like the last two.

Wilco and Ryam Adams aren't country in the slightest. Just bland dad-indie. Never heard of the others.

Wilco and Ryan Adams have country songs and are often put in the alt country subgenre.
>Just bland
yes
>dad-indie
wut?
>Never heard of the others.
They're pretty popular. Not chart topping, but definitely not unknown.
youtube.com/watch?v=LHJhyrrUTgc