I still haven't listened to this because they changed their band name to """Preoccupations""". Jesus...

I still haven't listened to this because they changed their band name to """Preoccupations""". Jesus, what were they thinking?

Preoccupations is a stab at people with autism

same actually

>They might have even had some really earnest conversation with Vietnamese "war children" (not a particularly PC term but it's a historic fact that a lot of children displaced by the war were adopted by well-meaning Westerners with resources to raise them safely) but the historical use and meaning of the term is flatly NOT A BIG DEAL. It's a fucking contraction ultimately and whatever linguistic or representational umbrage the actors in this war felt about it does not at all correlate with a fucking indie band 1500 people have ever listened to for more than five minutes. It is beyond all reason to suggest this band's name was at par with calling a Japanese person a Jap or a Chinese person a Chink. It was a shortname for a political party. [...] their career is definitely over and it had some promise in a kind of edgy goth Strokes way up until they did this.
- Chris Ott

based Ott btfo post-punk-poseurs

To be fair they are really good even if they're overly PC

I'll have to cave in and listen to these pitchfork's lapdogs. Viet Cong's last album is still one of the best post-punk records of the decade. I don't want to be missing out.

Same here. Fuck them for caving into the pressure and fuck our current society for banning them from shows.

Oh, grow up. Was it completely fucking braindead for people to picket their shows, get their shows cancelled, constantly harangue them with criticism on their social medias and in person just because they called their band a specific name? Yeah, it absolutely was, 100%. But you know when it got to the point that they couldn't continue working as a band usually would because every show they went to they'd get shouted at by twats with nothing better to do, or every article about the band had to have a long spiel about how awful their band name is and how awful they are for continuing with it, can you really blame them for eventually caving in and deciding it wasn't worth the aggro? You can't say "it's just a name, it's not a big deal, don't get upset about it" and the drop the band when they take the view "it's just a name, it's not a big deal, we'll change it if it stops people harrassing us about it." Yes, absolutely the braindead PC brigade that made this out like it was on any level an issue are morons of the highest order, and they deserve any criticism aimed at them, but I don't see the point of getting angry at a band because they decided that continuing with their band name wasn't a cause they were willing to sacrifice their career for.
Preoccupations was a shit choice of new name though, I could come up with a better name in half a minute.

I guess not everyone can be a Lou Reed or Bill Drummond.

>It is beyond all reason to suggest this band's name was at par with calling a Japanese person a Jap or a Chinese person a Chink.
no one actually suggested this though

It's an alright record with some brilliant moments woven into boring ass soundscapes. The name is terrible. Viet Cong is the best music this collective of musicians have made in the decade since they started. Who cares

fucking kill yourself

The main problem was just that their band name continued the edgy punk history of naming your band after horrible things for political edgy cred. Joy Division, Gang of Four, This Heat, The Dead Kennedys, and so on. Viet Cong wasn't racist (in my opinion), but they chose it for shitty reasons. It would be like naming your band Gestapo Brigade a getting surprised that Jews or Pols are upset at the name. Is it antisemitic or racist? Not necessarily. But unless you have some very specific reason (like Gang of Four did) for naming your band that then people are going to give you shit for it.

Honestly it's nowhere near as good as Viet Cong

I forgot this band existed

goddamn he is so fucking based

>it's another crazium shits up a thread with his boring, generic leftism episode

they are incredible live

They performed "Death" on KEXP and it was fucking incredible. When they hit their stride and it goes into the noise section they blow me the fuck out.

So basically they didn't give a shit about their work enough to stand up for it?
>not having that retard filtered

i love how he can say he likes a band while shitting on them at the same time...if he has any historical relevance as a writer, that will be it

why are you so triggered, retard?
they were losing gigs because of the name

and now they lost the fans that showed up to the gigs

libs cucked again

So were actual vietmanese people being triggered by the name or was this classic whites with nothing better to get mad about?

They lost which fans? What are you talking about?

It was like third generation Vietnamese getting upset on behalf of people they likely never met

Even if that's true, how does this invalidate any argument made against the name? Chris Ott had the right of it because he's familiar with history.

I'm gonna name my mellow shoegaze band Nazi Germany