It's pronounced "jif", and let me tell you why besides the obvious fact of the creator saying as much...

It's pronounced "jif", and let me tell you why besides the obvious fact of the creator saying as much. One main argument of the cavemen who say it's pronounced with a hard g is that the first word is graphics- an argument hardly worth spending any time on if you know anything about how acronyms work, if you want an example just look at JPEG. Nobody pronounces it jay-feg! The other main argument used by these hard g barbarians is comparing with words that start with g followed by a vowel- gift, gallows, gill, gully, etc. But notice anything about these words? The fourth letter is always a consonant, and therein lies the secret of why we use the hard g. Compare now to some g followed by a vowel words where this is not the case- giraffe, girasol, girandole. The fourth letter on these words is a vowel- and every single one is pronounced with a soft g. So with the only two arguments pathetic hard g users have dismantled, we can all happily move into the future pronouncing the word correctly.

Attached: E7MQ4v3.gif (500x292, 400K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/04/white-house-gif-pronounced-hard-g.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's pronounced "hif" you uncultured swine

Please don't make jokes this is very serious to me

The fact that you would call the correct pronunciation of 'gif' a joke is a blatant insult to my very existence.

>how acronyms work

Acronyms are NOT words, you fucking neanderthal, so they are not even meant to be pronounced, therefore there are no rules that govern them.

Now take your faggy sense of narcissism and GTFO.

Attached: carl-facepalm.png (720x480, 307K)

Exactly my point dumbass; if no rules govern them then the argument people use of graphics being pronounced with a hard g doesn't apply. Get some reading comprehension

Is this pasta? Cause it's pretty good.

Neither does the rule about it being pronounced 'jif' that you are espousing.

No one is wrong, and no one is right.

kys

you pronounce the letters in an initialization the way they are pronounced in the word they came from and ignore normal pronunciation
>GIF has a hard G from Graphic Image File instead of the soft G like giraffe
>SCUBA has a hard C from Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus instead of the SC diphthong like scene

It is pronounced WebMD as in spider web media

*WEBM

Fucking autocorrect

God.

It’s pronounced with a hard g because majority wins. OP and any other faggot who says it with a j knows damn well they don’t say it out loud in person to avoid the utter embarrassment of sounding like an idiot.

Explain JPEG

Hi user. I see you called someone a "faggot" I'm assuming you meant this jokingly, but I've been mulling this over in my head for several minutes and it does not sit right.

Let me please (re)iterate you on this word. Not only does it aim hatred at a large group of people that I myself and many of my friends are a part of, the word has the power to tear down and undermine a fight that we have been fighting for decades. I don't know where you stand on the issue, but I'm assuming you value your rights to equality as a citizen of this country.

You may think that this is only a word, a mere configuration of letters, but this word is the foundation that keeps LGBT people held in the depths of inequality, while men like yourself toss around hateful slurs in a joking way thinking immaturely that you are immune to hurting anyone. This is not true. Next time you throw this word out (however jokingly and privately you may thing you are using this- in this era NOTHING is ever private), think about those who have struggled for the right to feel safe in their own country.

The word "faggot" creates a hostile environment and makes many LGBT people feel unsafe around those who have enough power in society to use such words. Don't make me feel unsafe. I have a right to my safety. And although I have tremendous pride in being a mature, strong, bisexual woman, it really sucks when your words get in the way of my pride. Thanks for your attention.

Faggot faggot my faggot faggot.

>explain this
>doesn't elaborate on what part needs explaining

> Compare now to some g followed by a vowel words where this is not the case- giraffe, girasol, girandole.

Gasoline.
Checkmate?

Death of the author. Fuck off.

Who wants some GIF peanutbutter?

Attached: jif.gif (600x600, 55K)

A following a g always calls for a hard g; i doesn't

This guy gets it.
GraphicsImageFormat
JraphicsImageFormat

What does JPEG stand for and how do you pronounce it user

This is not how pronouncing acronyms works, there are plenty of very obvious examples

It's Graphics Interchange Format, you pleb.

GirafficsImageFormat

The jpeg part. Opps, I meant jfeg.

>The fourth letter on these words is a vowel
Theres your problem. there is only three letters in gif. and the fourth letter in graphics is a consonant.
Checkmate atheists.

>What does JPEG stand for
Joint Photographic Experts Group
>how do you pronounce it
the first letter, J, is named because it is followed by a consonant that does not form a sound pair found in English
>Jay-peg
it is the same with
>GPS
>MPG
>FPS

So why isn't it jfeg then?

dude took too long, we made it clear what it's really called.

also

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/04/white-house-gif-pronounced-hard-g.html

so suck it

Attached: 019546546879.gif (373x281, 1.58M)