Was he right Sup Forums?

Was he right Sup Forums?

>Well rap is not music for one thing. I mean it isn't music, you know, it's talking. That's what it says, "rap". Rap means talking, it's not music. It's talking in meter. It's got rhyme and it's got... it has meter. It has rhythm. It's not music.

>Umm... It's... uh... you know it's okay. I mean there's nothing wrong with it. I have no problem with it. It just isn't music. You know? And people who get to be great at rap are not great musicians, they're just great at rap, you know. It's not... there's no road from rapping into music, you know what I mean? You know, and music is something that you can get better and better and better at. I don't now if you can do that with rap, you know. I don't know whether it has that kind of space in it where that kind of... leads off into infinite numbers of possibilities. Music does. Rap, I don't know whether it does. Rap also has the problem of... it's language specific. So, uh, you know, if you don't understand English, you know, rap is... it doesn't communicate except it sounds neat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TAFZF9EfZMs?t=36
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes. the only reason Sup Forums nu-males cum their pants over it is marketing

100% correct

>except it sounds neat.
isn't that what matters in the end?

is rhythm not music?

Not in and of itself, no. Ordinary conversational speech has rhythm, but it's not music.

Who is this, Raffi?

This loser probably doesn't think Dante is music either

>the absolute state of neo-Sup Forums

>the absolute fact that this post exists

>*noodles over some forgettable folk song for six hours straight*
DUDE

>mumbles over a forgettable beat for 3 albums and 6 mixtapes
DUDE

And this is coming from a guy who played songs like Shakedown Street, The Music Never Stopped, and Dancing in The Streets, not to mention the first draft of Fire On The Mountain, where, guess what, Micky Hart RAPS! That's right! The first draft of Fire On The Mountain is a RAP song! Oh, well. Silly Jerry. Silly little 9 fingered guitar player.

>ywn get to experience the alternate timeline where Jerry is still alive and touring with the Grateful Dead, who have by now collaborated with members of AnCo.

Oh, and he's also 100% right.

why cant you like both

This is coming from someone who saw Jerry multiple times (both with the Dead and in JGB) from 89-94: he was right. Rapping itself, the act of talking in meter, is not music. The production around it (i.e, drum beats/machines, synths, etc.) is music. But rapping itself is not. I have no problem with it, but I do think he's right.

Miss him every day, man. Whether he would be touring or not? I doubt it. If it wasn't all the smack, his weight would have gotten to him by now. By the time I stopped seeing him, I kind of had the feeling he was on his way out. If you saw him at any time between 94 and 95, you could tell he was sick. Maybe it's better that he left when he did.

Ive honest to god tried but the dead just really bore me.

It's possible you haven't heard the right album, but, that being said, one really had to go to one of their shows to really appreciate them. Even listening to a bootleg or one of the "Dick's Picks" series really isn't going to capture what they were like, no mater how good the songs/recordings.

Sorry, but this is one of those "You had to be there" type of situations.

Exactly. I saw about 150 shows and it was just such an extraordinary place to be.

*tips fedora*

just saw Dead & Co at MSG and while it wasn't a Dead show, it was less not a Dead show than anything else and still pretty great. only about 20 actual shows here but loved every one of them.

what year did he say this?

>Rap is just like, dumb by nature, man! There's just no room for not-dumb in rap!

by this logic literally any singing isn’t music
People always overlook the tonal part of rapping as opposed to the rhythm, that’s part of what makes rapping sound interesting

Bob Dylan is not music.

>speech isn't music
Yes it is

Go to bed John Cage

Be 4'33", peasant

rappists btfo

By this do you mean you're listening to him and eagerly awaiting his response?

At what point does speaking become "singing"? Is it not relative? Aren't the vocal chords producing notes to a certain rhythm or cadence either way?

He just didn't understand, or was afraid in a way. He doesn't get to define music, sorry

Why should I give a fuck about what Jerry fucking Garcia thinks of rap music? I could not possibly be compelled to care, just like I wouldn't give a shit if Kanye went on about how much he hates psychedelic jam bands for an hour. If you're a great musician in a certain genre, or even just a well-respected one, good for you. That doesn't translate to every single art form and every single genre. If I liked Grateful Dead's style I MAY kinda want to hear what Garcia would think of Phish or other similar bands. But why should I care what he thought of music that was so far removed from his playing field? It's pointless

You obviously don't understand the nature of his criticism, and furthermore you self-evidently can't refute it. Rapping isn't music. Hip hop, production, that end of it is music. Rap is not. He's 100% right. The genre of music he played has nothing to do with it.

t. Soyboy

youtu.be/TAFZF9EfZMs?t=36

if you've got the time to listen to it this is really good. for some reason the video producer screwed the pooch and the audio starts at 0:36 or so

classic hispanic racism against the black man

they had such an amazing audio setup, the Wall of Sound etc etc, traveled to the us in my late teens just to see them..

>This is coming from someone who saw Jerry multiple times
Rap IS music, and I knew the Grateful Dead from 1966, who the fuck are you?

>Rapping isn't music

Can we stop this butthurt rockfag meme? Rapping is sounds, notes produced from vocal cords to a rhythm/meter and cadence. It's texture, it's phonetics that can be interpreted as musical. You may find it to be lacking in melody but melody is not the only component of music.

Duchamp signed a urinal and called it art. One person doesn't get to decide the boundaries of any particular art or medium, that's part of what makes it art.

This is just silly relativism. If you define music as any sound deliberately made then you've defined it to meaninglessness. By any standard definition, rap without accompaniment isn't music, any more than slam poetry or recitation would be.

Rap (read hip-hop) is 99.9% of the time set to a beat that is melodic or 'musical' as rockniggers would define. The rapping part is a rhythmic element that features similar finesse to a drummer, so how is the sum of those two things not music? You'd have to be an actual braindead fucktard to think it isn't.

Im glad dadrockers will all be dead soon

*blocks your path*

of course he was right...i love how hip-hop heads get all sensitive when it's shown their non melodic loops arent the same as real music... & they still think if you just add enough random sound fx it makes up for lack of composition... it's actually a funny thing to watch

i like how you used this example