I think he might have been the greatest artist of any medium who was alive at the same time as me

I think he might have been the greatest artist of any medium who was alive at the same time as me.

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/vol3/bowie.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why?

He did so many different styles, and did them so well. His string of 10/10 albums is unmatched maybe by anyone. There's a few who are up there, The Beatles, Bruce, but I might say that Bowie wins. What other artist has had a run like Bowie? Who's made as many great movies as Bowie has made albums? I can't think of anyone.

1. Spielberg
2. Scorsese
3. Kubrick
4. Woody
5. Coens

What's his string of 10s?

No. I'm sick of Bowie dickriding. He wasn't that good.

The Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Station to Station
Low
"Heroes"
Scary Monsters
Blackstar

And even his albums that weren't solid all the way through had good songs.

scaruffi.com/vol3/bowie.html

Hero worshipping isn't that great user. Bowie himself would disagree with you.

I think The Beatles top him, but not by too much. I can't think of any other acts that come close to those two, when everything that makes a musician/band good is considered.

Of course he would, you never think you're the greatest in the world, but he was.

>think you're the greatest in the world, but he was.
Bowie is my favourite artist too so even I think very highly of him. But if you are talking about artists who work in the music field, it's better to look for new and creative artists, instead of looking back and just talking about the same old 'legend' (you can do both, anyway), at least that what Bowie did, I think. He absolutely loved TVU, but he didn't stick to the same style did he? He was always looking for new developments, and at least tried to incorporate them into his storytelling. Appreciate that, but don't proclaim him as the greatest artist of any medium (have you seen The Linguini Incident?).

>Blackstar is a 10
So you're saying it's better than The Astonishing by Dream Theater?

What's in his pocket?

cigarettes.

That's a big cigarettes

wew

And your 5 are? I think Kubricks a fair cutoff without OPs age.

TREMBLE LIKE A FLOOOOOOOOOOWAAAAH!

well dream theater is shit user

You're probably thinking Portnoys Dream Theater. The Astonishing is the first true realization of post-Portnoy. Their only other post-Portnoy functions as a bridge albeit excellent.

>What other artist has had a run like Bowie? Who's made as many great movies as Bowie has made albums?

Are you legit?
You were alive at the same time as Ingmar Bergman and Gabriel Garcia Marquez who are unarguably far more revered in their respective artforms than Bowie is in pop music and have left a far more significant influence and legacy. Everyone in film and literature are clearly aware of their contributions and are strongly studied in academia and the general populance. Bowie's reach is NOWHERE close in pop music as those are in their artforms. You cant even compare Bowie to the Beatles. Beatless severely outclass bowie in scope and influence. Brian Eno is also more important and significant (and better imho).

>Are you legit?
And when was the last time Bergman was relevant? 35 years ago?

>The Man Who Sold The World
>Hunk Dory
>Aladdin Sane
>Ziggy Stardust
>"Heroes"
>Blackstar

top kek none of these are 10s, and you likely havent listened to half of them

Well yeah if we're gonna go novels, I think even just starting with Stephen King is a greater artist than Bowie by pretty much any standard. I mean I know it's apples and oranges but it's not my premise.

Oh Lord, tell me that you'r joking. Stephen King as an example...

oh i was just surprised you put spielberg so high and didnt put kubrick #1 going off just hollywood filmmakers. I dont know the best artist that's been alive in my lifetime desuu. Pop musician probably Dylan but thats the only one.

this isnt true

bowie is heavily respected among every musical circle

as a studio drummer and in-house engineer, the amount of bands that walk in and reference albums bowie made is astonishing. bands, from alt rock to literally death metal and hip hop, will ask, "can you make it sound like heroes?" or "I like that ziggy stardust album, can you do that?"

not trying to be aggressive, but musicians know who are great, and bowie is great.