What are your thoughts on Nine Inch Nails?

What are your thoughts on Nine Inch Nails?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mqKzeI5XFLo
youtube.com/watch?v=UR26Fo1972c&t=2056s
youtube.com/watch?v=ZwLMp7UWN_8
youtube.com/watch?v=jFBul2U09Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=eGigt6kIcqs
youtube.com/watch?v=uopC19nxhPo
youtube.com/watch?v=k55F-QHMYTY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1Auet0yBI
youtube.com/watch?v=MN6sfJ1qFQg
youtube.com/watch?v=eEAaMSRfpQw
youtube.com/watch?v=KSYQc6XPUbg
youtube.com/watch?v=wqOYnN1jXOo
youtube.com/watch?v=l-GwX5x1cio
youtube.com/watch?v=kdFGgBsgD7s
stereogum.com/1971891/trent-reznor-acknowledges-theory-he-played-a-living-statue-on-curb-your-enthusiasm/news/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first album has a couple of cringy songs, beyond that reznor is pure genius

Which songs were cringy?

all of them

TDS, the Fragile, and Hesitation Marks are all fantastic records. PHM is really great but could definitely stand to lose a few tracks. The Broken EP is also fantastic. I like Year Zero and Ghosts and I thought Add Violence was good as well.
Trent is a really cool dude and an inspiration to me.

Industrial warped and twisted to appeal to the plebeian masses.

delt

The songs were fucking good.

the cringy ones are the best ones

hmmm it's almost as if Reznor never subscribed to the idea of being stuck in one genre so that he didn't end up like others; and that being underground and inaccessable doesn't pay the bills

"that's what I get" comes to mind

Purest feeling master race coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=mqKzeI5XFLo

youtube.com/watch?v=UR26Fo1972c&t=2056s

hot-topic mallgoth trash edgy fedora kids listened to in the 90s and part of 00s.

Music for betas that turns them into alphas

american soyboy industrial

Great production, shitty lyrics

Like Steven Wilson

Shitty lyrics?

>God money's not looking for the cure.
God money's not concerned with the sick amongst the pure.
God money let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.
God money's not one to choose

I always liked
>my moral standing is lying down

80s Nine Inch Nails was Depeche Mode with noisier guitars, only somehow even more vacuous and with even shittier lyrics.
90s Nine Inch Nails was MTV pseudo-industrial schlock metal for parking lot mutants. Practically custom-made for Beavis And Butthead.
2000s Nine Inch Nails was dull modern rock garbage that fit in perfectly between Audioslave and Pearl Jam on shitty alternative radio.
I don't know what 2010s Nine Inch Nails is like. I reckon it's a tepid retread of their 90s would-be heyday, that's usually what nostalgia circuit 90s bands do. And the less said about Reznor's attempts at "sophisticated" music(his soundtracks, that shitty Ghosts album), the better.

All in all, one of the worst bands of all time and I'm pretty irritated by the fact that I'm as familiar with NIN as I am, since I never listened to them willingly.

How does it feel to be this mature!

>trying this hard

Huge fan of Quake.
1v1 me.
check out my demos.

Closer is still their best song

you were saying?

tfw people judge your 30 year career on a 5 year period of time.

ok, I've never seriously checked this act out, show me a track that showcases this guy's technical mastery

It's really all in the persons taste...
I would recommend checking anything you can
especially...
>Pretty Hate Machine
>The downward spiral
personally one of my favorite songs is Closer which is on TDS.

I'm not mature at all, I'd be the first to admit that. Some things will just never be palatable no matter how mature or immature I am. Nine Inch Nails is one of those things.

I don't care about the Oscars, I'm not sure how many people do anymore either. I've never met a person who had a distinguished taste in art and still cared about the Oscars.

Just listen to all of TDS. It has a very cohesive sound and it's best listened to as a whole to get the feel, but every track is fairly different and just playing one wouldn't do it justice. Closer is the big song off of it so if you're committed to only listening to one that's the one to check out.

tell me who hurt you user

Just listen to Scorn and Godflesh instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwLMp7UWN_8
youtube.com/watch?v=jFBul2U09Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=eGigt6kIcqs

youtube.com/watch?v=uopC19nxhPo
youtube.com/watch?v=k55F-QHMYTY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1Auet0yBI

got it

The Becoming
Happiness In Slavery
Last
Reptile
Adrift and At Peace
La Mer
The Way Out Is Through
Lights in the Sky
While I'm Still Here
Disappointed
Running
The Background World
The Greater Good
Demon Seed
Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
The Lovers
Sanctified (Updated live version for Tension Tour)
The Frail

If you've never listened to it beyond the surface singles, give it a try. It might surprise you.

Overrated as fuck.

Reznor is incredibly talented though

qt

hesitation marks could stand to lose a few as well.

People really like them but man I dont get it. It all seems really cringy to me.

HM was a practice album like With_Teeth and Broken before it. Meant to invest in his next career phase.

It helps when you realize how genuine he's being. Some of the stuff he says sounds embarrassing but its true. He's not like Manson where he's trying so hard to be shocking and edgy.

That was peak fratboy edgerock

Only because they failed to listen to the album, or realize it was one chapter of a story.

20 points off your respective houses and detention this evening.

It's a fucking great song though.
love the instrumental.

I dunno, Downward Spiral felt like it was aiming for edge. Probably because he and Manson were messing around.

TDS was edgy, but there was consequences. The protagonist killed God and paid for it with suffering and death.

>The protagonist killed God and paid for it with suffering and death.

Damn, that's deep...

make more closer, trent

Hesitation Marks is so amazing, it grows on me more and more, Trent opens himself up so much on the record. Probably one of my favorite albums from NIN.
I do not like this meme, The Downward Spiral was personal as well, definetelly not as much as The Fragile, but Trent is in it definetelly.

Was Came Back Haunted really the lead single off that album? I seem to remember completely hating it at the time, but listening to it now it's pretty ok.

It totally was, and I love Came Back Haunted personally, I really do. I do think that other tracks could have been better singles, like All Time Low, Satellite or something. Copy Of A should have gotten a video.

I guess I was just more of an edgelord four years ago - I thought it was too pop at the time. Seems pretty good now - think I'll give the album another go.

Totally do, the rest of the album is even better.
All tracks and the album itself is a grower, not surprised at all that when you first heard it you weren't too impressed.

And holy shit it's been four years, what the fuck.

Various Methods Of Escape and I Would For You (amongs others) get me everytime

They have trouble dialing the phone

my favorite band

Only listened to TDS and own it on vinyl. I remember listening to The Fragile once but I don't remember jack shit. TDS was good though.

I would shoot up a school if I listened to them in middle school

no you wouldn't

bump

hnnng

Not to mention...Trent did stuff with Pantera during the southern trendkill.
crazy how a lot of metalheads always bash stuff like NIN but one of the best metal albums was recorded with Trent.
also pantera loved NIN

>I don't know what 2010s Nine Inch Nails is like. I reckon it's a tepid retread of their 90s would-be heyday, that's usually what nostalgia circuit 90s bands do. And the less said about Reznor's attempts at "sophisticated" music(his soundtracks, that shitty Ghosts album), the better.

Wrong. The Slip onward is new era Trent, and it's maybe the best era of all of them.

bump

Reznor is a beast of a man, I respect him for his gains and his pains

A lot of metalheads are cunts, then again, fans of genres tend to be hard to be around.

Everything from Broken to The Slip was pretty great. Hes Marks had a few worthy tracks but the new EP's are pretty shite, you can tell the songwriter's muse has left him to some extent. It happens to most of the good to great songwriters, they just can't think of an original idea anymore as they age.

Still an amazing artist and some of the early live shows were god-tier.

>new EP's are pretty shite
what the fuck dude.

Meant for Hesitation Marks is one of best NIN releases and the EPs are some of the best stuff from NIN you can find, suit yourself though famalam.

Name one song from anything he released in the last year that will hold up to his best work, or that will even still be played in 5 years if they're still around.

I'm not a hater, I love me some Trent, just stating facts bro.

Really no excuse to be listening them past the age of 16.

The best thing he released in the last 5 years was the instrumental edits of The Fragile.

>name one song

I can give you more.
(From Hesitation Marks era)
>In Two
>Various Methods Of Escape
>While I'm Still Here
>Copy Of A
>I Would For You
(EPs)
>Dear World,
>She's Gone Away
>Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
>This Isn't The Place
>The Background World

>or that will even still be played in 5 years if they're still around.
I expect Branches/Bones and Less Than to be a live staple, perhaps Burning Bright too.
Not true

Soundtrack for Before The Flood was pretty solid. Not The Actual Events EP as well. The latter was praised by longtime fans as well as critics that have been less than enthused with NIN's newer offerings.

I think the current music landscape is to blame for the lack of mainstream relevance. The '90s were a better time for NIN not only due to the sensibilities of the era, but the lack of today's many music outlets. Back then, if you got a song on MTV and you were doing something interesting, you were set. Nowadays, even objectively great artists aren't changing the culture the way they would've 20 years ago. The public's attention has shifted to rap/hip-hop and listeners have more avenues through which to consume music, making it harder to hold the public's attention.

As far as modern underground phenomenons go, there's Death Grips. But they haven't broken into the mainstream like NIN did in their first few years nor are they likely to.

Unless you're someone with big money and big media pushing your name (Taylor Swift comes to mind), you won't start much of a movement. This landscape doesn't foster that sort of thing.

>he can't appreciate raw emotions

should have stopped after the slip desu

>*The public's attention* has shifted to rap/hip-hop and listeners have more avenues through which to consume music, making it harder to hold *the public's attention.*

Calling myself out for being redundant before someone else does, lel.

Hesitation Marks > The Slip

godDAMN

Trent has always written great ambient music.
youtube.com/watch?v=MN6sfJ1qFQg
youtube.com/watch?v=eEAaMSRfpQw
youtube.com/watch?v=KSYQc6XPUbg

Fuck yeah.

youtube.com/watch?v=wqOYnN1jXOo
youtube.com/watch?v=l-GwX5x1cio
youtube.com/watch?v=kdFGgBsgD7s

Ripe is really overlooked

Ghosts 2 when?

guys???

stereogum.com/1971891/trent-reznor-acknowledges-theory-he-played-a-living-statue-on-curb-your-enthusiasm/news/

No need with how much soundtracks are coming out

Truly a genius. He did all that to promote the new Strobe Light themed ARG.

Highly overrated.

Only a few good songs.

>pleb who only listened to The Hand That Feeds and "I wanna fuck u like an animal song"

Still is arguably one the of the greatest things Trent ever released. The instrumentals and the stripped down accompaniment of these songs were beautiful.

Apart from that the list is accurate

He made mebbe 2 half-decent songs in, what, 20 years? Cringy, weepy, depressing goth shit for the most part, fuck knows how he got termed as "industrial"

I really wonder how 3rd EP will sound like.

He was signed to TVT and hanging out with industrial dudes. Also, imagine actually having this opinion.

great artist
took industrial sounds and made them into music

> i never listened to them willingly

good job outing yourself as a retard

The Downward Spiral is the only good album in their whole discography.Anything else is garbage.

I think everything up untill and including the fragile is fucking genius and the rest is mostly shit.