Black Sabbath first six thread

Black Sabbath first six thread

Rank em, post underrated / overrated moments, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gozCnbfY-xM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Vol.4 blows the rest out of the fucking water and the rest is somewhat angsty at points.

t. degenerate drug user

1. Master of Reality
2. Black Sabbath
3. Vol 4
4. Paranoid
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
6. Sabotage
Supernaut is pretty underrated, really great track. Also Fluff is really pretty and doesn't get talked about like Laguna Sunrise. Fuck Paranoid as a song, worst or 2nd worst song off the album.

1. Vol 4
2. Paranoid
3. Master of Reality
4. Black Sabbath
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
6. Sabotage

Their heavy prog shit is the best. Everyone knows Master of Reality or Vol. 4 are the BEST albums but Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my personal favorite.

Sabbra Cadabra is based and I wish Wakeman played synth on a whole album with them.

Everyone seems to love the shit out of Master of Reality, and I have never been able to figure out why. I hear that album was made in a week, and by the sounds of it I bet that includes the time it took to write the songs. Too much filler amongst a anemic collection of okay-at-best songs.

Master of Reality is one of their most consistent albums. Out of curiosity, which tracks do you think are filler?

It's because Sweet Leaf, Children of the Gate and Into the Void. Goes to show how great their sequencing was.

Also Sweet Leaf is one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded and it's hard not to love an album with that starter.

best albums of all time and the best run of an artist in the history of music

1.sbs
2.mor
3.bs
4.para
5.sabotage
6.vol

>Too much filler
what
are you talking about Orchid and Embryo? Orchid is actually a good instrumental and Embryo is only 20 seconds long

Is it just me or is Iommi's instrumental filler Fluff from Bloody Sabbath actually a really beautiful composition?

hi guys i like changes ama

haha fkn nerd how can you like fluff everything is supposed to be super heavy bro super metal bro fuck sabbath total dadrock

Masters of Reality is their best album. This is not up for debate.

paranoid > MOR > vol 4 > s/t > sbs > sabotage

all of them are straight classics though, my favorite 70s band

The End is possibly the most underrated EP of all time

is ozzy's solo stuff worth listening to? I have literally only heard crazy train

what about iommi?
the devil you know is pretty great

Sabbath bloody sabbath
Wizard bloody wizard
Hail satan!

Holy shit there is STILL no way to legally hear The End. I swear about 10 months ago it was officially put on YouTube but now it's gone.

Isn't it just session cast offs from their zombie years and some live stuff?

Yeah and its one hell of a bunch of cast offs especially at this stage of the game.

We can all agree Supernaut is their peak right?

The best riff Iommi evr wrote and that god-tier acoustic guitar + funky drums breakdown

It has a tighter, drier sound than the first two albums and presages the sound they'd adopt on Vol. 4 onward.

>the devil you know is pretty great
For a bunch of old guys it's not bad. It has this dark, brooding "sensing our own mortality" feel.

The doom sound is very popular right now and it was pretty much the pioneer. When prog rock comes back Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage will be the most popular. When blues rock comes back the first record will be the most popular.

The important part is that Sabbath has a sound for every trend.

>inb4 Christgau reviews
Don't, okay?

Blues rock hasn't been popular for quite a while. I wonder when was the last time...?

Last time blues rock was cool? Oh boy...probably not since 2000-ish? There was a period in the 90s when neo-Hendrix psych/blues rock like Lenny Kravitz and (to an extent) Oasis were popular.

>The doom sound is very popular right now
Must be the opioid epidemic.

Don't think funk's ever coming back. It had one period of glory in the 70s and that was it.

White Stripes and Black Keys

Funk metal enjoyed a fad in the late 80s-early 90s.

Think like Alice in Chains--Dirt. That album has unfortunately become relevant again.

>Paranoid
>Masters
>Self Titled
>Vol 4
>Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
>Sabotage

Bruno Mars's elevator music doesn't count as funk anyway.

Forbidden belongs in the trash.

It's been fairly present in hip-hop. Dre's The Chronic is probably the defining post-80's funk album.

Probably the white suburbanification of weed too

It has to be Paranoid at number 1, it has all their hits and it was their highest album in the charts until 13 and 13 only did that well because of hype surrounding the album

>Paranoid
>Master of Reality
>Sabotage
>Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
>Volume 4
>Black Sabbath
>Never Say Die!
>Technical Ecstasy

I love Vol. 4 and it's the one I jam out to the most but it's not the definitive Sabbath album it was a period when the band left England to California so they traded their sounds of rainy bleak England to sunny SoCal

cocaine fueled them, the recoding didn't matter all too much as evident by the band's hatred of their sound on the album, Tony has stated he's didn't like his tone and was too busy being high to care about anything even their manager was stilling from the band

but damn the songs were dope and it's a different style to their usual stuff and this is way guys like Zappa can dig this album

>they traded their sounds of rainy bleak England to sunny SoCal

But Vol. 4 is probably their darkest album

1. Master
2. Paranoid
3. SBS
4. Vol 4
5. Black Sabbath
6. Sabotage

>Too much filler amongst a anemic collection of okay-at-best songs.
wat
It's their only album without a single weak track imo

1. Master of Reality
2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
3. Sabotage
4. Paranoid
5. Vol. 4
6. Black Sabbath
they are all 8+/10 though

>overrated moments
I'm not a big fan of Paranoid's B side. Fairies Wear Boots is incredible, but I don't care much about the other 3 tracks.

>underrated moments
Wheels of Confusion's middle section is one of the best things they've ever recorded.

also
>all the people ranking sabotage on the bottom of their lists
why is that? genuinely curious.

1. Self titled
2. Paranoid
3. Sabotage
4. Sabbath bloody..
5. All the rest from ozzy era except technical ecstasy

But its just me...

>why is that? genuinely curious.

They probably haven't listened to it more than once

That darkness is always part of Sabbath but this is a different shade of Sabbath. It's not that heaviness that I brought into question, all I said is Vol. 4 is not the quintessential album that encapsulates the band's sound. No matter how good it is. It's hard to describe it but just take into account St. Vitus Dance was written when Iommi saw a sunrise at Laguna Beach. When a song like Fairies Wear Boots was written after getting into a fight, or Black Sabbath after seen an occult nightmare. Ozzy is seen in orange against a black background with peace signs. I think this album was a ray of light. Even a false light that makes one feel good for a second like cocaine. The lyrics talk more about a personal pain brought with fame and riches of the band making it big but also Tony and the gang are more matured but are still acting childish with their hedonistic tendencies.

Master of Reality has the same breakdowns in its song structure as the funkiest Vol. 4 track yet they express their notes and thoughts differently.

Early Sabbath is about how we're turning Earth into Hell with the atom bomb, see Paranoid and Master of Reality. Vol. 4 is a more a view on how we have personally turned our own world into our demise.

We do this by being like Adam and Eve wishing to take more of a responsibility from the Status Quo
>So believe what I tell you, it's the only way to fight in the end
>Just believe in yourself, you know you really shouldn't have to pretend
but this Knowledge of Good and Evil comes with the cost of a loss of Paradise. Undone by a Cornucopia of selfish desires, see Snowblind and Supernaut, we start to live in a haze of hippie ideals that lead to each member dealing with their drug issues but Tomorrow's Dream is the ability to start a new life.

Remember Dio brought the Heaven to Sabbath's Hell on Earth mentality... literally Dio means God and they pumped out the album Heaven and Hell together.

>Black Sabbath
>walk into an accidental hit single with Paranoid
>casuals and normies start invading their concerts so they make sure to never do anything that commercial again
>Metallica
>walk into an accidental hit single with One
>hey, if we make more of these, we can make money!

>St. Vitus Dance was written when Iommi saw a sunrise at Laguna Beach.
I think you meant Laguna Sunrise. how could you fuck this up

Sabbath didn't have Lars Ulrich as a member. The dude has always been in it for the rock star lifestyle rather than the music.

it's not that he wants the rock star life, he's just a greedy kike unironically.

He's not a Jew though.

Umm no, common misconception. St. Vitus Dance was written after witnessing a sunrise at Laguna beach. Laguna Sunrise was written about going blind after doing coke in the snow in Alaska.

his soul is

post your favorite underrated riff from classic sabbath
youtube.com/watch?v=gozCnbfY-xM

>dat outro from 4:50 on

Almost every song on the first three albums has least three good riffs on it.

kek I hit the limit and erased the wrong section. St. Vitus Dance. Ward had the toughest time during the recording. He almost died with the paint prank and he was having a hard time recording the drums to the point he stressed himself out into believing he was going to get fired. He was also going through a breakup with his wife, Changes and St. Vitus Dance are the two big relationship songs on the album. St Vitus is the saint of dancing and entertainers. St. Vitus Dance is another word for Sydenham's chorea resulting in spasms. It caused by bacteria invading the brain, if the band is saying love is a foreign bacteria that takes over the brain, only they know but by judging of the lyrics Bill might have mistaken his wife for being a gold digger and left her. He was wrong and this caused him great pains because both parties were deeply in love each other. This ties into the haze we live in that distorts our views. This is why I like Tony's clean tone to dirty distortion on some songs cause it mirrors the idea. Bill and Ozzy did LSD everyday for a whole year and he would drum in live shows high on acid. Imagine that.

Black Sabbath
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vol. 4
Paranoid
Masters of Reality
Sabotage
A pleb opinion. Songs like Get a Grip, Can't Get Close Enough, Rusty Angels, Forbidden and Kiss of Death is amongst the greatest stuff Iommi has written. Plus the drumming is really great on that album too. The only thing you can complain about is the production.

Sabotage is kind of an early experiment in extreme metal, it's a bit of an acquired taste and most normies are best off sticking with the first three albums.

There are only two strong songs in my opinion,
Hole in the Sky and
Symptom of the Universe. It's too experimental, in a not that good way.

kek