What do you think of this album?

As a die-hard Genesis fan, at least until Wind and Wuthering, I don't really like it. I don't want to desstroy it just because it isn't prog, I love Phil Collins's "Take me Home" for instance despite being a pop song since it's also a very great one. And I think also Abacab as a record has it's moments.

The title track is a very catchy tune, I won't deny that I enjoy it from time to time, but the rest of it is really uninteresting imho, especially "Land of Confusion", which I'm surprised to see as one of the 4th most popular Genesis song on Spotify (I was aware I wouldn't find the prog era ones there, but I thought Abacab was more famous...).

However I want your opinion too, also specify if you're a fan of Genesis' prog albums or just know these ones (not gonna be the elitist who blames you for that, it's just that it's a different perspective).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/onSmoqwvXW0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm a fan of both genesis eras, it is a good album.
s/t is my favorite pop genesis

You'll be glad to know that if you search for "Genesis" on Google, on "Songs" the first result is "Land of Confusion"...

But cheer up, in the albums section it only lists those from Trespass to Wind and Wuthering for some happy coincidence.

My favorite pop album is From Genesis to Revelation

I really lost interest in them after they stopped doing prog, which is basically when Steve Hackett left. He was the true prog hero along with Tony Banks, who was the real boss there. Banks however regretted that Hackett left as with him they could've kept doing "weirder" songs, while Genesis trio went on with the members' desire to acquire some easy success after doing like the best albums ever without recognition. I don't really hate any of the trio members, after all all members of Genesis were awesome musicians who contributed to create maybe my favorite albums ever, Foxtrot, Wind and Wuthering and Selling England by the Pound. The only albums I like as much as those 3 are At the court of the Crimson King by King Crimson and Snow by Spock's Beard.

I'm also glad if they managed to get more money to support themselves and their families with the more commercial career, but I'm just not interested in those albums. So, no real hate for Invisible Touch but it's not really anything I'd stop to listen for more than 10 minutes, the songs don't really stick with me.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Great taste. Spock's Beard and also Neal Morse's solo career deserve all the love they can get.

Imho the worst Genesis album. It's like the worst of Abacab put together. I personally prefer the Peter Gabriel era, he was a great frontman and overall an awesome artist, even though his solo career isn't perfect either.

Nice copypasta. Source?

MPD Psycho

That quote expresses quite well why I hate thee fans of the album

Sick scene

It's not meant to be taken seriously. I'm sure you're familiar with the movie and the book in which it was used.

It's a great album that I never gave a real chance until recently.

tfw you agree with bateman

Maybe you also think Fresh by Kool and the gang is

youtu.be/onSmoqwvXW0

Used a cassette of this album to kill a huge-ass spider one time, so it's a'ight in my book.

Why didn’t you just put the spider outside? Are you effeminate and cowardly?

He's probably an insecure fag who also advocates "gun freedom" and finds it alright to say shit like "only betacucks don't like weapons". Or maybe you are by the language you use and he simply wanted to get rid of a spider.

Spiders are scary..

I was like 16 at the time, so "insecure fag" is pretty accurate yea.

Okay you're a chill dude. Sorry for thinking that about you. And your story was fun.

It's a decent pop album, Land of Confusion, Domino and The Brazilian are fantastic songs.

Pop-era Genesis peaked at Duke, they never managed to release an album as powerful and emotionally-charged as that one again.

Duke is a prog album tho

Did I say it's not? It's a prog pop album, and considerably different from what they did up until ATTWT.

Foxtrot = Selling England by the Pound > Nursery Cryme > Abacab = Genesis > Lamb > And Then There Were Three > Invisible Touch > Trespass > Wind and Wuthering > We Can't Dance

Abacab and self titled are their good pop albums, this is pretty bad.

Not a very good meme album tbqh, but Duke is on my top 5 Genesis

As it stands it's solid, throw in the three cut tracks from the session and it gets a lot better. Production-wise it sounds the worst of their pop albums, very thin, but I guess that's 1986 for you.