AOTY 2017

2017 has been fairly disappointing for music on the whole.

But what five albums would you say have been worth pulling from the fire?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zPTOt0GduQ0
youtu.be/RPsemIopxFU
cejero.bandcamp.com/album/switches
youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ikl4y3dW0&t=1236s
neverendingchartrendering.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nothing, just go back and listen to the end of evangelion soundtrack.

1. the Roger Waters album
2. the Liam Gallagher album
3. the Paramore album
4. the microtonal King Gizzard album
5. the new King Gizzard album that came out today

Why would I do that?

to be fair, the end of evangelion soundtrack is better than any album released this year

I don't agree with that statement in the least.

Because it's fucking lit as fuck senpai. He'll I'd listen to this shit in the club's dude. Perfect to dance to.

kpop has some nice releases :}

What do you mean by that?

>Julius Caesars Ass
>Science Fiction
>Relatives in Descent
>Crack-Up
>Slowdive
possibly Polygonadingdong but I gotta listen to it more to see if my hype wears off as fast as all their other albums

it's a pretty self-explanatory sentence user

Some stuff I liked from this year.

The ROTY (re-issue) is Transparent, by Zos Kia/Coil. Early Nekrophile stuff, a transitional phase for all involved, the recording completely restores the material as presented on the original 1984 Nekrophile cassette, with its original track titles as given on that release. You get a delerious piece of industrial ambience with Charles Manson ranting, a FUCKING LOUD scream from the very-cute-at-the-time female vocalist Min, and a good long booklet describing the period and how John and Peter would participate in various degeneracy ("art exhibits" which are basically excuses to do blood play, etc. Following this rabbit, I was surprised that Marc Almond was part of this scene, which explains Soft Cell's EXTREMELY degenerate "Sex Dwarf" music video of some time later).

youtube.com/watch?v=zPTOt0GduQ0

I don't trust sentences to explain themselves. I need a neutral third party.

Like this song man, play this shit people gone rave, ain't nobody gonna feel clinicaly depressed.
>youtu.be/RPsemIopxFU

I'm confused. That music doesn't sound appropriate for a rave at all.

bazinga

FUCK SAKE user YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT, ARE YOU GOING TO TELL ME WHEN EVANGELION REBUILD 3.0 + 1.0 IS COMING OUT OR NOT.

That's not a word

How would I know that?

nigga you got japed

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I KNOW I'VE LET YOU DOWN

Possibly, but that term doesn't apply to me, cos I'm white.

What?

IN MY HEART OF HEARTS I KNOW ILL NEVER WATCH END OF EVANGELION FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAIN.

EVERYTHING THAT MATTERS TO ME MATTERS IN THIS BOARD

Can we try to stay on topic?

No.

mate you posted a pic from an anime and we're singing a song from that anime, that's incredibly on topic

World Eater would be my first pick of this year. Other than that I suprisingly enjoyed Waters' new album.

YOU WISH THAT YOU COULD TURN BACK TIME, CAUSE NOW THE GUILT IS ALL YOURS, CANT LIVE WITHOUT YOUR THREAD BEING ON TOPIC.

IT AAAAAAAAAAALL RETURNS TO SHITPOSTS, YOU JUST KEEP LETTING US DOWN LETTING US DOWN LETTING US DOWN

top 5 of the year (in no order)

Tiny Hazard - Greyland (art pop)
Brendan Byrnes - Neutral Paradise (microtonal synthpop)
Hadouk - Le Cinquieme Fruit (jazz)
Benjamin Clementine - I Tell A Fly (art pop)
Beck - Colors (pop rock)

if anyone knows any good art pop/indie pop/synthpop or anything similar from this year, let me know

good list, nice call on khaki blazer - didn't have to cut, that one is solid. was hoping the new moth cock would be available by now but it's still not up. oh you might be interested in this new aaron dilloway thing that just came out, it's not as good as the gag file but it's still pretty cool cejero.bandcamp.com/album/switches

my top 3

laurel halo - dust: there's something really compelling to me about the mix of the warped synth pop where the drums sound like they're stock material and every element sounds weirdly isolated, versus the looser stuff with eli keszler drumming which I sort of want to describe as warmer, but there's still something off about it. I think this album could only have happened now.

jurg frey - L'ame est sans retenue I: so there's an Erstwhile Records album that has a reputation on here, Good Morning Good Night. I think this is the one that you guys should be selling to young people who want to look cool though, because it's 6 hours of recorded silence in a park, alternating with absolute null value silence. it's actually an incredible experience in how the ratio of silence to silence progresses and the change in the content of the recorded silences. but yeah this seems like the sort of album that people would be really mad that it exists so I'd encourage using this album in place of Good Morning Good Night as the official Erstwhile Records album to annoy online music obsessives.

Jaap Vink - Jaap Vink: I still haven't listened to that gigantic Roland Kayn thing that came out recently, I guess this is sort of in similar territory with highly elaborate systems generating slowly evolving sheets of incredibly rich synth tones. But I think this stuff has been hitting me more than any Kayn I heard before. There's something about the way this music in particular unfolds that is really special.

Sote - Sacred Horror In Design and Felicia Atkinson - Hand In Hand would round out the top 5

It's official, there is no aoty. There is band of the year and it's King Gizzard

What is the album left of the top-right?

giant claw - soft channel

Free Throw - Bear Your Mind
Tyler - Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Remo Drive - Greatest Hits
Brockhampton - Sat 2
Ostraca - Last

youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ikl4y3dW0&t=1236s

not enough good electronic shit this year

Made in Abyss

Off the top of my head

protomartyr, billy woods, street sects, mura masa, bastien keb, juana molina, laurel halo, landlady, bedwetter,

>Beck - Colors (pop rock)

there's no way you like that album

>Dedicated to Bobby Jameson - Ariel Pink
>Flower Boy - Tyler, the Creator
>Common As Light And Love Are Red Valleys Of Blood - Sun Kil Moon
>Damn - Kendrick Lamar
>The Ooz - King Krule

Oh yeah I forgot Mark released so much stuff this year. Can he really compete with King Gizzard?

I actually love it. I'm not really even a Beck fan. A few tracks on it are a bit ehhh but most of it is really good. Love the production on this thing, like on the title track, colors, the percussion is tight, the vocal pitch shifts, the flute, synths, etc, all just appeals to me. I went into it completely blind, having not read any reviews or opinions on it, took me a bit by surprise to see it getting mostly mediocre reception.

Yes, we get it, you don't leave Sup Forums

Eh, dont really understand your point, most of these are somewhat popular albums that have appeal beyond mu imo

What do you use to make these charts

neverendingchartrendering.org/

Thanks

I listened to a lot of albums listed ITT, Arca, Laurel Halo, Slowdive, King Gizzard, the new Fever Ray (it wasn't so bad, get over it), etc. Enjoyed them, but for some reason the only two I keep coming back are the least expected and were barely mentioned in Sup Forums, they are:

Ride - Weather Diaries
KMFDM - Hell Yeah

I expect both to be utter crap, listened to them with literally 0 expectations, but for some reason I got hooked, neither is perfect by any means but it was a shit year.
We still have to wait for some albums to drop, but dont have high expectations. The Tear Garden double album was my biggest bet and it ended up sucking hard, specially since the last Legendary Pink Dots was awesome and one of my 2016 AOTY.

2017 releases and albums i discovered in 2017

Forgot about Juana Molina, i'll add her to my list, now its Ride, KMFDM and Juana Molina
2017 was fucking weird year

Yeah because Mark actually makes good music

my top 5 would be:

renée fleming - distant light
minzy - work 01 uno
lorde - melodrama
sheryl crow - be myself
toro y moi - boo boo

Hiss Spun
World Eater
Narkopop
Is This The Life We Really Want
Everywhere At The End of Time Stage Three

++kumisolo, Love Theme
I don't get the new Laurel Halo, it really bored me

>he doesn't want to feel like he's let absolutely everyone down
nigga I love that feeling, EoE soundtrack hits that spot perfectly

Laurel never was much fun to begin with, have you checked out Halo, by Juana Molina? Wasnt into the spic lyrics at first but by the second track I stopped caring. Really good stuff

Ru4reel

What about his thing with PQ guy? How is that gonna be anything but mediocre?

My AOTY has to be pick related.
Surprised p4k didnt pick up on it. A mix of Coil and Billie Holiday made with 1 sampler and a looper pedal by a black woman should be right up their alley.
Gr8 album and much better than her debut, that was good but to repetitive, her singing improved a lot too

Saying this year was bad is basically just admitting you're a normie
Sorry Radiohead didn't make another album

I admit yellow kitchen is hot garbage but how can you defend sketches or murder? Honestly the only worthwhile thing they’ve put out or will put out this year is banana

in no order:
水曜日のカンパネラ / SUPERMAN
Kelela / Take Me Apart
Big K.R.I.T. / 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time
dälek / Endangered Philosophies
Laurel Halo / Dust

>luciferian towers
>good
pick one

polydongshamalang