What does Sup Forums think of the 17th Amendment to the US Constitution...

What does Sup Forums think of the 17th Amendment to the US Constitution? Someone mentioned it in another thread but it got pruned before the discussion swung that way.

boring. Repeal the one that lets women vote. That's way more important.

Repeal, a joke pushed by the progressive power mongers of the 20th century. Irreparably damaged this country and helped destroy our system of federalism. The Founders would be in absolute disgust

That one too. The point is you want democracy as limited as possible, but sadly we will probably never return to our original system

>Repeal, a joke pushed by the progressive power mongers of the 20th century. Irreparably damaged this country and helped destroy our system of federalism. The Founders would be in absolute disgust

Why, exactly? Is it an overreach of power?

Absolutely friend, it was nothing more than an attempt, that worked, to consolidate more power in the central government, in D.C. It was framed as giving more power to the "people" but all it does is take away the sovereignty of the states. State legislatures previously picked senators for a reason, so they could have a better say in how the federal government is to be run, but now they have ultimately lost that say and the senators are no longer loyal to their state legislatures but rather another extension of federal power in D.C.

Well said.

Two books that I would recommend over it are Andrew Napolitano's Theodore and Woodrow, and Tom Woods' Nullification: How To Oppose Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century. While the main focus of the books are not the 17th amendment alone they talk extensively about it in each book, plus both books will give you good insights on how things have gone amuk in the power structure of this country

Corporate interests had already bought up most of the House of Representatives, but were having trouble holding on to bought senators, as state legislatures would pull them out. It would have put a serious dent in their capital to bribe every state legislature, so they pushed for direct election, knowing few pay attention, and their man would win as long as they paid for his name to be mentioned the most. The 17th amendment is a travesty. I am still not convinced it was properly ratified. The States created the federal government and they deserve representation!

Thanks buddy

the whole fucking document needs to be thrown out.

all it does is lie to us. when it can be reinterpreted at will, it has no meaning and is dangerous.

Thanks user

The constitution can not be reinterpreted at will. It is written in plain language that the common man can read and understand Marbury v. Madison is a lie. The court does not have the authority to legislate from the bench and abrogate the amendment process. Many have also taken to playing with definitions and meaning to warp the stated rights and limited powers of the government. As far as I am concerned, no officer of the federal government holds legitimate authority.

so, why is there such a fight for the next justice?

>The court does not have the authority to legislate from the bench and abrogate the amendment process.
you say this, but the government does it.

the document gives a false sense of security. you think you are standing on the floor, but there is no floor.

every amendment after the 12th was a mistake to be honest family

I do not just say this. I write e-mails to my state legislature and vote for the local candidates that believe in States rights and curtailing the fed. This is our best option. The generations before us built a leviathan that may only be slain by a States rights movement or open rebellion. As rebellions are often co-opted and lead to third world shithole conditions, I'd rather try the former. Appealing to the federal government to restrain itself is a waste of time. Did you know your State Governor can not be compelled to appear in a federal court? That is where the fight is.

a Sisyphean task against an entity with all the power to determine it's own power.

you will eventually succumb to despair.

> all the power to determine it's own power.

It doesn't though. It is time they were reminded. Corruption and money follow power. Remove the power, and you remove the problem.

Popular sovereignty>

A good example of this is the several states that refused to fund Medicare expansion under the PPACA.

The feds and the media painted it as rogue state legislatures denying the public the services they wanted but if the Senate worked as intended prior to 17A Obamacare never would have passed in the first place, as the Senators appointed by these legislatures would not have supported it.

There's no better sign that our version of federalism is bastardized than the sight of two levels of government, both purporting to represent the same people, working in polar opposite directions.

it does, the opinion of 5 people in robes can tell you exactly what power it has, by how it is interpreted. we all can dispel the idea they are ever unbiased, your only hope is to make sure the 5 agree with you. the actual content of the piece of paper is irrelevant.

Great post!