/csg/ - Christianity General: King Solomon Edition

For all things Christian

Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants alike are welcome to discuss theology. Try to be polite.

Atheists also welcome, but try to be constructive.

Pastebin for believers and curious folk.
pastebin.com/xMQ9wAwW

Pastebin for Orthodox
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

Today's readings (Catholic):
Reading: 1 Kings 17:1-6
Psalm: 121:1-8
Gospel: Matt 5:1-12

Good Scenes to watch

>Jesus Anime
youtube.com/watch?v=8d-uB0vaoQo
>Jesus of Nazareth Sermon on the Mount:
youtube.com/watch?v=MDCbJ4vnMNg
>Jesus chases Jews out of the Temple
youtube.com/watch?v=kEtBs6j7QgU
>Jesus gives sight to the Blind....and takes sight from those who can see
youtube.com/watch?v=pY7vamVg99E
>Roman Centurion has more faith than anyone in Israel
youtube.com/watch?v=SNLSBjYDPko

>Ben Hur scenes
youtube.com/watch?v=tVlf7OiiTJE
youtube.com/watch?v=Fbt2UUthWg0

>Why Atheists shouldn't discourage Christianity even if they don't believe in it
youtube.com/watch?v=vqQdc0mX1_c

>Thread Theme
youtube.com/watch?v=h5YEKO04RDI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8
youtube.com/watch?v=FJwa5FVo-fs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magisterium
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul's_Cathedral
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Jesus

St Augustine's City of God demonstrates how Christians were really terribly unpatriotic at the end of the Roman Empire in the West

They couldn't give a hoot about the world they lived in, and were madly obsessed with the afterlife and heaven.

Why do people insist on lumping all Protestants together?

Good for them

Easier to attack that way

Do you believe in or deny the existence of Evolution?

Its a matter of ecclesiology. They think each Protestant denomination considers itself the only one true church.

sola fide and sola scriptura are positives.

Btw roman catholics and eo are terribly liberal in their own regard

EO is just falling in number. I guess kids these days dont want to LARP

What do you mean by 'evolution'?

Deny. Only Papist and liberals affirm it.

Its a bait and switch term really. I believe in microevolution in other words adaption but I deny abiogenesis and speciation.

Why do people insist on lumping all atheists together?

Atheism is pretty much the same. It leads to materialism, naturalism, nihilism, subjective truth, nihilistic morality and irrationalism.

>I believe in microevolution in other words adaption but I deny abiogenesis and speciation.
That doesn't make sense. You believe evolution occurs but don't believe evolution can change a species?

Agreed, I was gonna call him out on it, lel. I, like you, believe in microevolution, but macroevolution... no.

Because they all believe in the nonexistence of God and that's as far as the belief stretches, while Protestants believe in dozens of different things

Materialism, naturalism, nihilism, subjective truth, nihilistic morality and irrationalism are good things tho

What's a good part of the bible that would be great if adapted into a musical like Jesus Christ Superstar?

At first thought the one at the right was episcopals

But the nonexistence of God isn't the life for most atheists, other than dumb youtubers and their dumb teenage fans.
All religious Christians' lives revolve around God because they believe in him.

Catholics and Orthodox have different Churches inside them too for that matter

What are you even saying? Species can adapt and adopt new features but not become entirely different species.

The worst part about atheism is that they think they can take God out of the picture and still keep a cogent philosophical worldview. However as atheist philosophers have shown us you get what I mentioned above. No objective truth and moral nihilism.

I mean if atheists are right what's the point in hanging in this thread to tell us we are wrong? Snort some coke and die.

Where would be the most interesting states/countries to be a Catholic priest?
I'm joining the priesthood soon, and I'm weighing my options.

One bad apple ruins the batch

Especially on Sup Forums

Don't make that mistake man. Study up on the corruption of the Roman church.

youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8

If you can't refute this then don't become one.

I'm a papist that denies it.

I haven't been to my local parish for a long while but I'm getting back into attending mass because I want to rebuild my faith in God. I also want to join the church choir, but I don't want to make it awkward by joining if I'm not a regular attendee of the church. How long should I attend mass before volunteering to join the choir?

You're a dying a breed.

Catholicism is retarded

I was just watching this documentary earlier this morning. Based user.

I'm just going to stay within ~100 miles of my family. I thought about going somewhere further for the priesthood, but the truth is that it can get lonely. If you have a family you're close to, it's best to just stay near them.

God bless you and good luck in your vocation.

>>What are you even saying? Species can adapt and adopt new features but not become entirely different species.
When a species adapts, its genetic code is changed and it passes those changes down to descendants. This can happen in mere hundreds of years. Look at lactose-tolerance.
Now imagine thousands of these localized changes being made over millions of years. Do you really expect them to be the same species?

>poisoning your mind with the deception of the devil
why not pray those 8 hours instead?

I don't see anything wrong with signing up right away. People love if you're active in the parish.

For example, I recently joined a new parish and the same weekend signed up for the Bible study. The people were welcoming and happy to have a new face. This would probably be the same for you, user.

Best of luck. :)

>8 hours

I'm willing to hear your arguments, but holy shit that's TLDR

>only the priests are smart enough to interpret scripture

>We are not blessed the same way

>we are smart enough to defend them though even though we aren't smart enough to understand their interpretations

So basically, you have your oracles, literally speaking in tongues during the Latin parts.

If you can't even understand what they're saying without them explaining their words, how are you smart enough to defend them?

Why do protestants have such a "holier than thou" attitude?

I guarantee that in the next 30 minutes they will start calling us pagans.

Get your counter memes ready

Throughout all this though, most Romans continued to honor their traditional pantheon of gods and goddess. Sacrifices to Jupiter were still made. The Vestal Virgins still tended the sacred fire in Rome that, it was said, could not be allowed to go out.

This all changed with the coming of Theodosius the Great. In February of 380 AD, Theodosius declared Christianity, based on the Nicene Creed, as the only official religion of Rome. In 382 AD, the Alter of Victory was removed from the Curia forever and destroyed. The Ancient Olympic Games, a religious festival as much as an athletic competition, were last held in 393 AD and eventually banned. In 394 AD, Theodosius disbanded the Vestal Virgins and has the sacred flame extinguished. Temples were converted to churches or destroyed. Participating in any pagan religious right or ceremony was considered, essentially, treason and grounds for execution.

Theodosius the Great died in 395 AD. Upon his death, the Roman Empire was split into an eastern half and a western half, each governed by one of his sons. The empire would never be united again. In 410 AD, just thirty years after the adoption of Christianity as the official religion of Rome, the Visigoth under Alaric I sacked Rome. This was the first time a foreign army had sacked Rome in almost 800 years. Only sixty years later, as mentioned above, Romulus Augustulus was deposed and the Roman Empire was gone forever.

90% of Catholic parishes are vernacular (mass is said in the local language).

Latin parishes are rare to find.

Do they vary as much as Protestant churches though? I don't think so. Protestants range from wacky stuff that doesn't make any sense to simple fundamentalist Christians. Some extremely anti-homosexuality and some very open to and accepting of homosexuality, and so on

Stoic masterrace inbound.
You might be right about fedoras, but religion isn't great either. Being virtuous out of fear of god instead of for yourself isn't how one should live, and also leaves you vulnerable to dogma, no better than a libturd.

Yes I do

That's 1500 years of heresies to correct and he doesn't address ALL of them.

- Inclusion of the apocrypha
- Praying to the saints
- Mary's high status as co-redemptrix held by many highly esteemed people in the RCC such as Doctor Alfonso
- Celibacy as a requirement
- Papacy
- Purgatory
- "Sola Ecclesia"/Sacred Tradition is equivalent to scripture
- Papal infallibility
- Mary's bodily resurrection
- The mass

Different but shorter video made by the same guy

youtube.com/watch?v=FJwa5FVo-fs

I mean you are dedicating your life to becoming a priest. You might as well watch an eight hour video.

Look we know you are a roleplaying LARPer and that you can't hold a serious discussion and that's why you resort to memes but if you can't refute it shut-up.

It's been a while since I've seen you in one of these threads, brother. Welcome back.

I remember last time you debated that atheist for a few hours, it was great.

it goes usually like this, in chronological order:
1) Luther meme picture
2) pope washing muslim feet
3) idolatry
4) mary was a sinner and died
5) catholic church killed 68 gorillion jew-ahem-protestants

go to 1) and repeat

No they don't. Those that belong to the Catholi Church have to be in full communion. The Orthodox Churches usually agree 95% with one another I think, so there's a bit less unity but they overall agree on the doctrine

What is virtuous living? What is good and bad? How do you objectively measure these without coming back to the fundamental issue faced by atheists.

I'm not saying they should be lumped together in how they behave or what they're like, I'm just saying they all believe the same thing when it comes to God, while Protestants have different beliefs about God and how they should worship him

>Look we know you are a roleplaying LARPer and that you can't hold a serious discussion and that's why you resort to memes but if you can't refute it shut-up.
so much projection

Insecurities.

The vast majority of protestant church's are shacks filled with rednecks. Their leaders take no vows, unlike priests. They don't have the sacraments and structure that we do. These make them feels insecure in their faith, so they lash out against us.

Pic related.

John 3:16

I will cease to reply to the bong so he can sleep. Peace.

God new Judas would. That doesn't mean Judas had to, since it's also possible God new Judas wouldn't, and in some world Judas didn't.

I'm familiar with it. What's your point?

> I remember last time you debated that atheist for a few hours, it was great.

I don't think that was me

I am on the pro-atheistic side

> unironically reaffirms what I was saying

I can't hold all these generalizations.

Also have you not seen the great amount of Anglican, Episcopal, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches and cathedrals?

This is a false quote of Aurelius; he was quite a devout "pagan". It's a very commonly attributed quote.

Are catholics required to believe that the Pope is chosen by God and his word is holy?

I'm seriously concerned that this pro-Islam, pro-Comminism, all religions are true, "Europe should be ashamed of its herratige" scum is actually converting people in Catholic majority nations like Australia and Ireland to leftism and pseudo-atheism.

>/new/
Knew. Have mercy typos.

>>Yes I do
There are 1371253 animal species on earth right now. If you assumed none of those species evolved since the time of Noah, do you really believe he fit 2742506 (two million, seven hundred and fourty two thousand, five hundred and six) animals on a boat he built in seven days?

>posting fake quotes

A saving Faith is what saves

The origin of this misquotation likely derives from this phrase from Meditations

>Since it is possible that thou mayest depart from life this very moment, regulate every act and thought accordingly. But to go away from among men, if there are gods, is not a thing to be afraid of, for the gods will not involve thee in evil; but if indeed they do not exist, or if they have no concern about human affairs, what is it to me to live in a universe devoid of gods or devoid of Providence? But Gods there are, undoubtedly, and they regard human affairs; and have put it wholly in our power, that we should not fall into what is truly evil

Did you read up on the canon of the NT? Or do you still think Paul's writings are uninspired? Even though he claims they were.

The ones stolen from the Catholic church?

>> unironically reaffirms what I was saying
>still projecting and strawmanning

Because they are all heretics

I know that. There's still wide differences among Protestant churches

No. This has been addressed by creationists. He would have carried the ancestors of many animals. Also exclude all the sea animals too.

this should clear your doubts:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magisterium

It tells you when it is you are required to listen to the Pope. In all other instances you can pretty much ignore him completely

>muh straw man!!

Kek, nice straw man

After Constantine's deathbed conversion, many Roman aristocrats turned to lives of monasticism.

Instead of going into politics or the army, the best and the brightest of Rome rejected wordly life and became monks.

This created a major brain drain on Roman society.

Examples I don't include Jw or Mormons as Protestants

Not all of them. I do like high-church symbolism. But how is that relevant? Theology is more important and currently Rome is just a mill that pumps out heresies.

Thank you for confirming you are retarded. If someone could be so kind to teach me how to filter someone I'd be thankful.

Thanks mate

>Pope says gay marriage is from satan
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
>Pope Francis speaks against Gay adoption
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
>Compares trans rights to nuclear arms race
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
>Pope Francis says that there's no salvation outside the Church
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
>He excommunicates an Australian priest supporting gay marriage and women clergy
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
>Pope Francis is against gender theory and for traditional gender roles
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
>Pope is against abortion
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
>He Encourages the use of force against ISIS
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
>Pope Francis is against lukewarm "faith"
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
>The Pope is misquoted often
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
>The Pope Rebukes Communist Cross
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html

>He would have carried the ancestors of many animals
What does that mean? How do you explain the animals he saved becoming over a million distinct species that exist today without evolution?

Deus Vult

Quite wrong. A lot of high ranking pagans transferred their position into a high ranking position in the Roman church becoming cardinals and bishops.

>great amount of Anglican, Episcopal, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches and cathedrals?
You mean previously Roman Catholic churches?

>all this heretic butthurt

Do you consider a bull-dog a different species from a German shepherd?

>Even though he claims they were
In what world does self-testimony count as making a proposition more likely true than not?

Not sure why you think what you wrote contradicts me

What do you guys think of Moral Orel, The Last Temptation of Christ, Binding of Isaac, Shin Megami Tensei and Jesus Christ Superstar?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Paul's_Cathedral

>Pope is chosen by God
No he is not. Even Pope Benedict backed this up.

Obviously. No two bulldogs mating will provide a german shepherd offspring, and no two german shepherds will provide a bulldog offspring.

Are you seriously trying to argue against that?

what is that picture even trying to say, it looks like a middle schooler made it

>I don't know how you could instantiate any level of precision better than a question mark.
Through the application of predictive analysis. Situations and behaviors repeat, and people rarely change.

>Your argument says that I have somewhere between zero assurance and a complete unknown assurance that I will get the money.

>Yes. That's the case. There is no law of nature that gives you any assurance that the friend will in fact lend that money tomorrow.
>I would say you have no more reason to believe he will lend you the money tomorrow than that he won't.
You are proposing an absurdly skeptical epistemology. The sun will rise tomorrow is not a technical certainty. Will you conclude that there is no more reason to believe that it will rise than not? We have information on the system; it is absurdist to suggest we not consider that information in determining the probability of occurrences.

>I'm taking the problem of induction more seriously, I think, than you might want to.
No, you are taking the imprecision of induction and, instead of considering the value of the information we have, are throwing it all out the window. That isn't taking it more seriously, that is giving it far less consideration.

Sub-par, even this small church looks much better.

not an argument

The early church affirmed the inspiration of his text. Also why would a guy who hates Christ later go onto devote his life to him and die because of persecution lie?

Hahaha I am arguing with a leftist redditor. This is the second time you're trying to put words in my mouth

No two Jane and John will ever produce a Jane or a John either. Guess humans aren't humans.

Haven't seen, haven't seen, fun game, fun games, and I think I remember enjoying it as a child.

Anyone have the other version of this picture? With the norse pagan included

You're talking about sexes. I'm talking about species. Are you baiting or actually retarded?