youtube.com/watch?v=abGBWiWUnGA
youtube.com/watch?v=4RqO3-5GrLw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

don't buy the deepmind 12

Fuck you

>behringer

get the deepmind 6 or something instead

I dunno I think analog polysynths are pretty boring

Almost no knobs on it. One of the main advantages of a hardware synth over any other instrument are its convenient and creativity-inspiring knobs. Sliders for basic functions aren't sufficient, nor a shitty LED screen with a sole master knob.

I don't have a lot of hands on with it but the thing that turned me off the most was it feels incredibly cheap. I'm not one to shit on behringer, I'm super excited for the Model D, but the DM knobs and data wheel and sliders feel cheap as fuck. Compared to the other hardware I own it just was a big turn-off.
For what it is it sounds great if you like soaking your sounds in effects, otherwise I hear the raw oscillator sounds are nothing special. For what you'll probably spend Idk if you'd get a better modern polysynth.

I was in your exact same spot when it came out. In the end, I realized that it was the oscillators themselves that failed to live up to expectations. Listen to a Moog Little Phatty demo then a Deepmind 12 demo, and just compare the thickness and richness of the moog oscs, and the weak, hollow sound of the behringer. Just not a lot of analog presence

there are plenty of sliders, how many knobs do you want?

this knob autism is really overblown

>otherwise I hear the raw oscillator sounds are nothing special
that's true of most polysynths though, including vintage ones

Get a rev2 instead

Rev2 is gimped by shitty filters

No it aint

It is. The Pro2 is the better choice in the price range. I was about to buy the Rev2 but changed my mind last minute because of the filters

knobs are more musical when automating things, especially live. they allow finer motion.

Rev 2 sounds a little slurry. What attracts me about the deepmind is how well it does E-Pianos, rhodes, leads and organs. there's a super defined quality about them that I really like. Bass doesn't matter to me as much.

youtube.com/watch?v=abGBWiWUnGA

you don't have the money

>those nigger level DCOs

I am thinking about Novation peak or Rev2. Novation never stays available on sweetwater unfortunately. I am going to store to try them.

>he doesn't own a memorymoog or cs-80

Get one of these instead

>Novation peak or Rev2
Hope you're a girl, those are pretty feminine choices.

Do you have other analog polys? If you can find vids of the DM without the effects section being used, you can hear that the oscillators don't sound very good. It's not a very complex synth other than the integration of the effects system. Depending on what you want to do it could be the best use of the cash. It's a fair price if it's really the thing you need.

What do you want to do with it? Do you really need that many voices? Is it mostly for big pads with long releases or do you just want a general analog synth with at least some polyphony? If it's the latter, you can get a DSI Tetra pretty cheap and they sound a lot more unique IMO.

>not being a soyboy playing "ambient" music in 2k17

never played one but every demo seems to have the voices stacked. seems sus if you gotta stack voices to get a good sound.

I want something that sounds really good with emulations of E Pianos, leads and organs, orchestral instruments are a bonus. I'm not so much into the ambient spacey type instruments that a lot of the presets seem to be geared towards, but emulations of EPs and organs and such sound great on the deepmind, there's a clarity to it that sounds really professional and high end.

I don't really like the prophet style synthesis as much as it sounds kinda slurry to me, my preferred tone of synthesis is to have a super crisp high end.

Finally I want to have good a good modulation system for experientation. Something that's easy and intutive but also extensive. Deepmind modulation assignment and midi mapping looks dead simple but it does seem like you can set all of the parameters to modulation sources.

tbqh you're not going to find something better for the price for what you're after. I'd say buy it

>he doesn't own a Buchla Touché or 700

Organ emulation
youtube.com/watch?v=4RqO3-5GrLw

Soy king instrument

Pretty much it's really more like a 6-voice for a lot of patches. Want two saws on your oscs, like basically any other fucking 2+ osc polysynth does? Nope, gotta stack the voices.

Even so, it doesn't actually sound that bad to me. DM's default patches, hence what you hear in a lot of demos, are coated with ten coats of sugar from FX; you can make a VST from 2002 sound passable with enough fancy effects. Dry, the thing shows that it really needs a capable programmer to hit the sweet spots, of which that filter is not anything of major note. It's no Juno even though it looks like one. Suffice to say, it actually can sound passable even dry, but it doesn't really do much that knocks your socks off and many people probably will never be able to get it to sound that good (because many people remake the same 3-4 sounds for 100+ patches on everything they have and need to have their fingers broken with sledgehammers).

Lastly though, this OP specifically wanting bright/sharp-sounding things, and yet waving off the Rev 2? Wat. It's the total fucking opposite of slurry, listen to more demos. The DM12 sounds overall more mellow and how should I say, balanced compared to a Rev 2. However if OP wants a used DM for half the price at minimum, I don't blame him because that's just fucking unreal bang-for-buck, like the rackmount D appears to be aiming at.