Can someone please help me understand music theory for guitar a little better? I know the music alphabet...

Can someone please help me understand music theory for guitar a little better? I know the music alphabet,I know how to make major scales, I know tones/semi tones, i kinda know how to construct chords. Teach me more. Theres no where to learn this necessary shit on the internet. >inb4nypa

Other urls found in this thread:

guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html),
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Theres no where to learn this necessary shit on the internet.
You suck at the internet

I know, just provide info if you have any or call me a nigger & gtfo

Learn intervals, they help with chords. The names of the notes in the scale are numbered (eg. in C major; C=first, E=major third, G=perfect fifth, B=major seventh). So the interval of four semitones would make a major third (from C to E), the interval between E and A would be a fourth (five semitones, with E also acting as a major third to C and A acting as a major sixth to C), therefore a "major seventh chord" would mean a major chord with the major seventh interval added on top (C, E, G make a C major chord, then you add a B on top, then you have a C major seventh chord). Is this making sense to you? This is very basic theory.

So far yes.

That is this?

What qualities of chords are you familiar with? Which of these do you know?

Major Triad
Minor Triad
Diminished Triad
Augmented Triad
Major 7th
Dominant 7th
Minor 7th
Minor Major 7th
Fully Diminished 7th
Half Diminished 7th

I know what major,minor,and diminished triads are basically. The other ones im not so farmiliar with & i dont fully remember the steps for idenifying a dimished,minor chord. I know a major is 1,3,5

Alright onto modes. There are seven musical modes; Ionian (also known as major scale), Lydian (major scale but with a raised fourth), Mixolydian (major scale but with minor seventh instead of major seventh), Aeolian (also known as minor scale), Dorian (minor scale but with major sixth instead of minor sixth), Phrygian (minor scale but with minor second instead of major second) and Locrian (also known as diminished scale, sort of like a minor scale but with a minor second and a lowered fifth). You can think of each mode in it's relation to the C major scale (as in all the following modes fall on the C major scale, you just start at a different note); C Ionian (starts on C), D Dorian (starts on D), E Phrygian (starts on E), F Lydian (etc), G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, and B Locrian. You getting this? Granted, I learnt music theory before I played guitar so I don't know how easy it is.

Can you explain the bits in parenthesis a little more? Like the term "raised fourth " im kind of following btw.

an Augmented triad is basically a major chord but with the fifth (5) raised up a semitone, Major 7th chord is major chord with major seventh (as specified before), Dominant 7th chord is a major chord with a minor seventh. It's easier just to write them all down and Google them so you can learn in your own time.

And what are these modes used for?scales?:/Thanks. Any more info willing to give? I need all the help i can get im lost in trying to learn theory.

"raised" and "lowered" relate to semitones, eg. raised fourth means you take the fourth interval (in this case F) and raise up it to F#, while lowered fifth means you take the fifth interval (in this case F#) and lower it down to an F. See pic for a visual representation on modes, like if you start on a different note you get a different mode.

How do i incorporate these scales & modes into playing? My ultimate goal is to be able to create music & understand completely how music is created

Any suggested internet videos?or anything of the sort if youre tired of replying.

the modes are used for creating chords and melodies, like if you say "as an exercise i'm going to write a chord progression and a melody using only C Dorian"

Learn the scale/mode, make a chord sequence in that scale/mode, improvise/write a melody in that scale/mode. With regards to the second sentence; that's gonna take a long time. I would recommend getting a teacher, since it's better for someone to teach you visually and with speaking as opposed to just text.

How would you go about creating a chord progression / melody ?

check out Rick Beato, 12-tone, and Michael New.

Play notes in the scale in an order that pleases your ear. I'm not bullshitting you, that's how you do it

I know i sound stupid asking all these questions. I just really want to understand. Its especially hard for me i guess

Can you give me a better understanding of chord ccreation minor & diminshed & possibly why in music we need these modes based off the major scale?how do these modes benefit a guitat player?

For chords, just find the chords in a scale (guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html), pick a few (maybe four or five) and arrange them in any order you like (also make sure you can play those chords on the guitar). For melody, listen to this guy:

Can someone make a bulliten of all the things in order i need to learn please

Minor chords consist of: first, minor third, perfect fifth. Basically just a major chord but with the third note lowered. Diminished chords consist of: first, minor third, raised fourth. Basically just a minor chord but with the fifth lowered.

Honestly, and no offense to but modes for someone at your skill level isn't particularly important. All the modes besides ionian and aeolian are pretty uncommon in western music and virtually nonexistent in all popular genres. I'd just focus on Major and Minor for now, and we can venture into modes at a later time.

>learn your twelve major and minor scales
>learn intervals to the point where you can comfortably identify any given to you
>learn the "flavors" of chords and how they are constructed
>learn the qualities of chords built on the degrees of a given scale
>learn basic chord progressions (I-IV-V-I)
>learn cadences

Don't feel bad for not understanding any of this. This is an entire semester worth of material for an incoming theory student.

yeah basically this

No one's talking about it so I'll start. Temperaments. In nature, there's an incompatibility between thirds and fifths, octaves and fifths. I'll explain: if you add five consecutive pure fifths as in C-G-D-A-E you'll get a major third. When I talk pure is an interval without any beats that is related with the way harmonics are formed when you play a note. So anyway if add them up you'll get a major third but this major third is way to high pitched. Also if you continue the circle E-B-F#-C#-G#-D#-A#-E#(or F) and then finally C the cycle won't close and you will have a much shorter fifth which is known as the wolf tone. Look online and you can hear it. So we naturally have a problem with tuning. Spoiler alert: there's no perfect solution in instruments with fixed tuning ig the piano, the harpsichord or the guitar.
So there are some temperaments that we use to try and fight this. Nowadays, in modern music it's used the equal temperament. All the semitones are equal so you can modulate easily. The only pure interval is the octave so all of the chords have beats. I don't really like this temperament. Then you have lots of others which where used in Bach's times and before. For example you have meantone temperament in which the thirds are pure and the fifths not so much. There is also the pythagorian tuning in which all of the fifths are pure but the thirds are way too high. It is an interesting way of tuning. Of course, these temperaments only apply to instruments with fixed tuning. For example, singers and recorders can vary their tuning throughout a piece to always have pure intervals, but a piano can't do that. This only matters if you are gonna play some barroque pieces because if not it's just knowledge you should have. Basically, nature is a son of a bitch