/daily/ - Grim and frostbitten edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/user/21taugpnbdib5lzupjsfrc6pq/playlist/7gVLLKLFcHIAsODSB48qAM
youtu.be/w89vhph3zmw
youtube.com/watch?v=SyORw8bee4o
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Accelerando_/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2010
www51.zippyshare.com/v/Ghb5WKsN/file.html
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/marc-romboy/voyage-de-la-planete/
soundohm.com/product/the-zrich-concert/pid/30662/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/暗黒大陸じゃがたら__ankoku_tairiku_jagatara_/南蛮渡来/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

christ String Quartet 2 flew by. it was an experience. not the monolith i was expecting, every minute was beautiful and enjoyable. almost invigorating?

dickhead tell me your thoughts on Dig Lazarus Dig i've been arguing with a few other cave fans about it

@Breadhead
Don't worry I haven't forgotten your chart, pruning my massive backlog to a manageable size

@Jangle and Trans
I'll do both your listenalongs in due time

What's up, /dorkly/, Brogwessor Brovenglut here, telling you all to beef up, fuckin' nerds.

The Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai, Volume I, by Kitaro
>new age, progressive electronic, traditional Japanese music, meditation music

Kūkai was, amongst other things, a scholar. He is attributed with inventing the 'kana' syllabary and, while unattested, Kūkai might have written the famous Iroha poem as well. Furthermore, he is the founder of the Shingon school of Buddhism. Like Kūkai, Kitaro seeks to, if not reinvent, at least reinvigorate the New Age with a tribute to the Shingon founder. Already the name alludes to a timeline and on Volume I, I hear an exploratory sound, an open sound, where Kitaro does his utmost to avoid the pastiche of his genre. While the album is primarily driven by flowing synth leads, the accompaniment is flanked by flute, tribal drumming and even a David Gilmore-esque dreamscape guitar lead on “Flow”. The Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai, Volume I is not a progressive masterpiece, though, but it is soothing sonic experience where the composition is built on every up-going chord progression and never takes a turn to the somber or melancholic. I can almost hear the chanting of the Kokuzō mantra and the revelation thereafter, through the beautiful harmonic lines of the choir and the synth lead on “The Wind”. Authentic, expressive and well-orchestrated, albeit a tad too comfortable.

2.5 (Good)

RNG DECIDES NEXT: 3.2 = Made in Altan Urag, by Altan Urag

loool

Has anyone listened to the new Baths album?

It was probably my most anticipated album of the last few years.

It mostly lived up to my expectations, wouldve loved a bit more beats like on Cerulean but songs like Adam Copies are s i c k

idk kinda like grinderman I don't like the style that much and it's also one of my least listened ones
title track is pretty good and has some other nice songs but feels kinda weak in comparison to the rest of his discog to me

understandable but i feel like it opens up conceptually if you allow it
it's obviously a departure from his usual sound but his grinderman/abattoir blues era was the kick up the arse his music needed after the drop that was nocturama - we call upon the author is also his best writers-block song, beating out king ink and there she goes

LISTENALONG SCHEDULE

Just used a randomizer, here's the order. We can push a couple dates back or forward a few days due to holidays, but save this so you'll remember.

I'll have this weekend's pick in just a little.

>I'm last
brb kill self

I'm listening to Streetcleaner walking through the rich neighborhoods. This albums boring as shit.
Can I get some recs to listen to instead? Anything on Spotify or Apple Music. pic related is what it looks like.

>Can I get some recs to listen to instead?
Is Bengt Berger's "Bitter Funeral Beer" on spotify?

none of you have the capacity to write quality criticism

Rec me something for my mansion walk

>none of you have the capacity to write quality criticism
You're a big ding dong with a tiny ding dong.

Get criticized, son.

Hello there. I'm kinda new to daily.

Here's a chart of my fav albums, rec me thing either close to those style of albums you listened recently. I'm opened to pretty much all the genres.

>Figure

Holy hell that brings me back
Have you listened to any other "real" dubstep than Skream? I've made this playlist if you wanna hear more: open.spotify.com/user/21taugpnbdib5lzupjsfrc6pq/playlist/7gVLLKLFcHIAsODSB48qAM

Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior

Yep, Goth-Trad, Benga, Caspa, Coki & Loefah for instance. Thanks for the playlist, I'll check it out! And yeah, Figure is always active and goddamn his music style is always really nice to hear. Now he's getting to reacher other genres he's getting even nicer to hear from. From his last album Monster 8, I'd reccomand The Twilight Zone (video is very nice too), The Ring and Reverse Bear Trap.

Why isn't afro warrior on your chart when skream! is

It would easily be in the 100 chart, but I made a 40 one for easier purposes to be quite honest.

>new Baths album
holy shit, how did i miss that? gonna listen to it rn

LISTENALONG PICK #116

Creme Soda - Tricky Zingers

Fine to hate it, and say what you will, but I think it’s a unique style.

youtu.be/w89vhph3zmw
Also on Spotify

gonna take the TOEFL in a couple hours, haven't opened an english textbook in years, don't know how to feel.

anyway
>Stereolab - Peng!
A record that often gets dismissed in what is the great discography of Stereolab, yet I think an important one to get the full picture of the band and the progression of their sound, here we find a watered-down version of them, maybe at their poppiest. The krautrock and tvu (you know what song) influences are pretty clear however the album never moves too far from a Noise Pop sound.
6+

Holy shit
The new fucking Jaden Smith album
starts with a 4-part multitrack intro that's exactly 13:37 long and it's the most beautiful thing to be released this year
Even if the rest of this album pales, Jaden Smith of all people just delivered the best 14 minutes of music this year.

lmao. you get tix to brockhampton bro??? you like that EXPerimental hip hop?? a lil alt-rnb??? some uhhh BON IVER??? 22 A MILLION???? DIRTY PROJECTORS?????? YOU LIKE THAT FRANK OCEAN BRO??????? YOU LIKE THAT "PRODUCTION"?????? wow so SMOooth.... they really out here killin it bruh....

holy shit his rapping sounds like if Lil B wasn't a meme...

Fuck brockhampton keep kevin on backup. I'm impressed.
He's going on about conspiracy theories and shit this is crazy.

best taste ITT desu
Light Bringer - Scenes of Infinity
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Orden Ogan - To the End
Cardiacs - Sing to God
Sikth - Death of a Dead Day
Hammerforce - Access Denied
Fact - s/t
Fail Emotions - Speed of Light
Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - Feeling of Unity
Terravita - The Power of Fire
the new Infected Mushroom
cYsmix - Voodooism
youtube.com/watch?v=SyORw8bee4o

Wow, wasn't expecting that to be honest. Thanks! I will add all of this to my long listenlist!

Oh, also, I want to get to listen to Baths, so which album should I listen first?

MBDTF isn't very good so far.

(fish)
i will forgive you this time. but not again.

(jangle)
this looks interesting.

(lamb)
braxton is v good

yeah it was a lot less exhausting than i expected. i always hear rain forest aesthetics applied to it, which works well to me.

goddamnit why am i always so late AAAA

Cerulean

I really hate that people overrate it so much because it does have some good songs on it. Monster, Lost in the World, and Gorgeous are good tracks in particular. Will still be interested to hear ur thots tho

Has some great songs for sure, but nobody talks about how nearly unlistenable others are

monster is the only one so far that hasn't blown ass honestly
was expecting the opener to at least be catchy with its sample, but it wasn't at all.
#1 album of 2010

also anyone know some good poets? i wanna get read. the more avant-teen the better.

Kanye west

>built a house up on that ass
>that's an ass-tate

Homer

Keep It Heavy deserves to be 8 minutes long
And what kind of madman releases their listenalong as a jpg?

prolly not a bad call.
cute ball

Rick Ross and Kanye aren't really good rappers at all are they

Nope. I never understood how Rick Ross got so popular.

I can’t take post Internet teens seriously if they don’t like Kanye desu

i liked a few beats on yeezus. nicki's verse on monster is rly good.

Listen to 808s

i've listened to Twin Infinitives about 4 times. it's still shit. i'm not going to waste any more of my time on post-heroin garage rock, much less on some pop rap record that i don't like the biggest single off of..

What is your favorite album of the 2010s so far, /daily/?

MBDTF

This but unironically if fka twigs didn’t exist

Your mistake was listening to twin infinitives at all, it’s trash

for real though, it's probably the 2013 Twin Infinitives reissue

but really it's probably Oversteps :x

>Favorite overall release
Jim O'Rourke's Fast Car

>Favorite Album
either Holograms - s/t or Unsilent Death

updated this a couple days ago after hearing Imperial.

Damn you like Nails that much?

yussss

grindcore kicks so much ass when its done right and nails are easily one of the best bands in that genre of this decade

Yeah! What grindcore do you like otherwise???

>Mel-Banana
>Nails
>The Books
>Autechre
good taste all around

>nails are easily one of the best bands in that genre of this decade
If only they didn't split up after three albums

Why is he so effay bros?

basic bitch shit

Insect Warfare, Gridlink, Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, the list goes on...

It's a genre I'd like to get into more but feel like if I did a lot at once I'd get burned out very fast by it

thnk u lad

they split up? I didn't hear about that

hoo

Hiro please

Where TF is Discordance Axis and Gridlink..... Smdh......

Btw listen to the Orchid / Pig Destroyer split, the orchid part sucks pretty much but the Pig Destroyer part is crazy

I put gridlink in there but I forgot abt DA srry :(( they're good though

>3 Orchid songs
>8 Nails songs
sounds about right. Will backlog

Now that I'm checking it it seems they didn't but I remember reading it somewhere after YWNBOOU dropped

haven't updated in a bit

>X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents
I generally prefer my punk as loud and/or angry as possible, but this band has the chops and attitude to be very entertaining without looking for extremes. They're extremely catchy on songs like Identity and Oh Bondage Up Yours (I listened to the bonus track reissue) and Poly Styrene is a great vocalist with good lyrics that largely discuss the insanities and inanities of hyperconsumerism. The album could maybe do with a little less sax, the "repeat the vocal melody ON SAX" formula gets old quick, but otherwise, no real complaints. Could see this becoming a 3.5 depending on how often I return to this. 3.0+

>KUL - The Eye
It's Björk! Wow! Sadly she hadn't really found her calling yet, she doesn't sound great paired with this dark post-punk sound most of the time, it's too ugly. Her vocals an sich are actually bad on the opening track, which is kinda shocking, but luckily her vocals are fine otherwise, if a little misplaced. Exception to the rule is Dismembered, which is by far the catchiest and best track on the album. Otherwise the album's an interesting oddity showing Björk's roots (sort of) while serving some decent murky post-punk tracks and a surprising little tribal percussion track at the end. Ultimately it sounds like a band that hasn't come into its own yet, though, and it wouldn't have gained traction if Björk didn't end up being as big as she is. 2.5+

>Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach
Sorry, it's nothing more than a fun gimmick with low replay value. Bach's compositions are solid enough to survive the transition to an early Moog synthesizer and it's all pleasant enough but yeah, it didn't survive the test of time too well and is more of a novelty than anything else. 2.5-

loud city song

Was just thinking of this
R Plus Seven
Both Joanna Newsom albums

Sorry this is taking so long to finish, had study groups for finals and had to drop my brother off at his first school dance yesterday and today was more studying. Also rewatched It’s such a Beautiful Day and currently watching The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Anyway enough with the blog post back to the “reviews.”

>Boces – Mercury Rev

This was some of the most fun I’ve had with an album in a long time. Every song is just so full of charisma and charm that I couldn’t help but smile the entire time I was listening to it. Great the entire way through.

7/10

>Bryter Layter - Nick Drake

Multiple times I thought I was listening to some acoustic version of Eureka. It’s pleasant and nice like all of Drake’s work but there many points where all the other instruments get in the way of everything else.

5/10

>Pure Grava – Ween

This album sounds very ween. Crazy, sporadic, and totally not meant for me. Still pretty fun though.

5/10

>Chi – The Original Recordings

Sounds like if Residents did an ambient album that’s not Eskimo. Interesting at times but boring most of the time.

4/10

>Science 1994 – Indian summer

Some great hardcore, not amazing but not bad.

5/10

>Quebec – Ween

All over the place in the best way possible. Ween manages to cover so many ideas so creatively.

6/10

>Tundra – Lakker

Sounds almost like the burial and James Ferraro crossover we never got. Lots of harsh and lush tones, choirs in the background, and beats that keep the entire thing together. It is fantastic.

6/10

>I Trawl the Megahertz - Paddy Mcaloon

Where has this been my entire life? Title track is god damn amazing. Everything else is amazing as well, even if it can’t beat the S/T. Utterly fantastic.

7/10

This was a lot of fun, thanks for all the recs guys! What do I do now?

You could pick some trips off the /daily/core chart. Make sure to pick people you think you won't have compatible taste with, you'll either discover something new that you like and surprise yourself, or make someone upset. Win win.

>that indian summer score

sondre lerche - pleasure

Too bad you didn't like CHI, I thought it was above average for something weird sounding as Dutch tribal ambiance
and yeah Megahertz was just as stunning when I first heard it

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Accelerando_/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2010
based alva noto

I just have shit taste man I'm sorry

listen to the whole /daily/core chart

delete this

Fix your spacing my dude

roast my taste or w/e

Nice

>ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

Don’t even try to pretend that wasn’t you nyar!!!! (Also I bought a book that Rothko wrote on his philosophy on art etc so I’ll tell you about it once it finished :))))

o shit!

and here's the link again

Red Velvet - Perfect Velvet
>Kpop, RnB
www51.zippyshare.com/v/Ghb5WKsN/file.html

how dare you.

bad.

juicy synths and comfy strings v nice

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/marc-romboy/voyage-de-la-planete/

i thought i had already made one huh owell

+yeezys
~tbk, gloss drop, r+7, product
-t++, luxury problems, gp, modern jester, the hype williams release even tho i havent heard it but i know theyre hakcs

soundohm.com/product/the-zrich-concert/pid/30662/

Colour me interested

Lol it genuinely wasn't!
Once in a while an user posts something like this and I think they do it to make me question my memory. Like, I don't remember posting this! But who else would!?
Excellent /daily/ mischief afoot.

Thanks, I'd love to hear about that book!

one down

wasn't planning on participating but even my brother started talking about this group so I might as well

two down

>Album - Artist

I would say either make a month chart for december and chill until then, or do a tourney, or make a chart in a certain style you want to explore

loool

Can one of you fellas help me out? Can't for the life of me find an album. I believe it's Japanese punk jazz with a yellow album cover and the guy on the cover has a monkey or something on his shoulder

wha heck

...ah