I'm new to Bowie. I especially like his 'out there' space-related songs

I'm new to Bowie. I especially like his 'out there' space-related songs.

Please recommend me some.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ixLm9eSYldE
youtube.com/watch?v=RBprICVPzKA
youtube.com/watch?v=FVY2ERXkNgY
youtube.com/watch?v=2eTvCiMjJWc
youtube.com/watch?v=v0BgFC3R3-A
youtube.com/watch?v=a0yAR7R-MVA
youtube.com/watch?v=9nNF9aQ_BhE
youtube.com/watch?v=P-KhzO01JRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BxpCMZpUiP4
youtube.com/watch?v=7phksjFWQAI
youtube.com/watch?v=Jkc1a9v0jkI
youtube.com/watch?v=sI66hcu9fIs
youtube.com/watch?v=QFlsm3zqSv8
youtube.com/watch?v=KByxC7B9WH0
youtube.com/watch?v=dLl1MeOCeKI
youtube.com/watch?v=dC20rI6mOiE
youtube.com/watch?v=WoDamvrfUbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=o6uvYuEyUY4
youtube.com/watch?v=CMThz7eQ6K0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZY77zDzNmYw
youtube.com/watch?v=fXi3bjKowJU
youtube.com/watch?v=rrjsvfaVS5w
youtube.com/watch?v=cOQAmRLcxzw
youtube.com/watch?v=DasBAYJK3pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=ixLm9eSYldE
this one's about FUKCING aliens

youtube.com/watch?v=RBprICVPzKA
youtube.com/watch?v=FVY2ERXkNgY
youtube.com/watch?v=2eTvCiMjJWc
youtube.com/watch?v=v0BgFC3R3-A
youtube.com/watch?v=a0yAR7R-MVA
youtube.com/watch?v=9nNF9aQ_BhE
youtube.com/watch?v=P-KhzO01JRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BxpCMZpUiP4
youtube.com/watch?v=7phksjFWQAI
Also please tell me what you actually like, I could recommend you a better song collection.

>'out there' space-related songs.
is it the dreamy landscape or just the mention of 'DUDE ALIENS' that you like? you need to elaborate.

I like this.

Thank you I will listen to these.

Definitely the dreamy landscape.

I probably should've mentioned which songs I like. Space Oddity, Life on Mars, Starman and Ashes to Ashes

alright then, chose a song and then listen to that album
youtube.com/watch?v=Jkc1a9v0jkI
youtube.com/watch?v=sI66hcu9fIs
youtube.com/watch?v=QFlsm3zqSv8
youtube.com/watch?v=KByxC7B9WH0
youtube.com/watch?v=dLl1MeOCeKI
youtube.com/watch?v=dC20rI6mOiE
youtube.com/watch?v=WoDamvrfUbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=o6uvYuEyUY4
youtube.com/watch?v=CMThz7eQ6K0

But if you haven't checked out Bowie's albums yet, you should.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZY77zDzNmYw
this is Bowie's greatest song btw

no it's not.

what all Bowie albums have you heard till now?

yes it is.

no it isn't.

yeah.
it is.

are you the same user who thinks StS is his best album?

a lot of anons probably have that opininon, but yeah, either StS or Diamond dogs

shit opinon mate.

Anyway, thanks for that rare Bowie meme. Really missing him :/

Favorite is subjective, S2S is definitely one of his top tier ones though out of many.

>not waiting for all the unreleased Blackstar, The Gouster and The Leon Suites to be released, and then forming an opinion.
pleb.

(It's alright, I just hate Station to Station. Bowie has so many great songs that it's hard to chose a definite top 10 list for me)

when i get into an artist or band. i usually listen to everything that's been well reviewed. go to allmusic, search bowie, click on his discography, and look at the user ratings and listen to all of the above 4 star albums. if you want people to pick out good songs for you, so you can have a collections of 10 songs you listen to and then call yourself a fan, you are a huge pleb instead.

>he doesn't listen to everything the artist has ever released in chronological order then repeat the process in reverse
top pleb

wrong. Go chronologically, start from The Man Who Sold The World. You'll be missing out the best part about Bowie's vast discography: that he always tried to incorporate new musical trends into his songwriting.

Other than that I agree that it's bad to chose songs based on themes especially when it's others who are doing that for you.

also dont use allmusic for recommendations, the rating system is as bad as RYM on that site. Other than genre tags there isn't anything worthwhile there.

>says that people can't be called fans when they have others pick songs for them
>choses albums based on ratings by others
kek

i never said to not go chronologically. i just said to listen to everything that has above 4 stars on allmusic. the man who sold the world is the first album with 4 and a half stars, so he would in fact listen to that one first.

i go chronologically through the best reviewed albums, then if i like those enough i go through the lower ranked albums (3 1/2 to 4 star) chronologically. if an album gets 3 stars from the fan reviews i usually just listen to songs from that album included on a singles collection.

here's one half of the fan reviews.

here's the other.

i'd say their pretty damn accurate as far as aligning with what i and most people think.

sorry but your method just doesn't make sense to me. What makes Bowie special is that you go on a journey from glam rock Ziggy to Low and then back to mellow sounds in Heathen. Your method, however right it may sound to you, takes away that speciality.

And I'll repeat this, allmusic has terrible, terrible rating system, don't use it. Trust me.

>The Buddha Of Suburbia
>3 stars
disgusting

i trust the fan reviews on allmusic a million times more than i trust the fan reviews on rym, because theres a competition on rym for top albums of all time, so people inflate their reviews or give competing albums bad reviews so that their favorite album goes higher up on the list.

the blue ones on the right are from their single critic, the red ones on the left are from the fans, those are the only ones i use to choose.

im in Australia, thats why i flipped right and left.

I know that, I've been using that site for years man. But I trust the critics opinion more than the users, who just like hipsters on RYM, rate albums by listening to 2 or 3 singles. Sure the users might be more mature than the ones on RYM, but I haven't really read any compelling reviews. Well, to each his own.

Definitely check out Ashes to Ashes. That's a great song.

ASHES TO ASHES
FUN TO FUNKY
WE KNOW MAJOR TOM'S A JUNKIE

goddamn Bowie, I miss you

I think Bowie once said that Inchworms was an inspiration for Ashes to Ashes,
>"Okay so that's one use of numbers, but if you want to get very modern there's a chappie called Philip Glass... listen how he uses numbers... I think probably his music could point to a particular direction that music may be... oh some aspects of music maybe going at the moment... this is from an Opera that he wrote which is about erm fifteen and a half years long and they put some selections out from this album called 'Einstein On The Beach' and this particular piece is called Trial - Prison and there is a lovely little narration in it by a one of the singers... it'll be on the left hand side of the speaker if you've got stereo, on the right hand side if you've got 'em plugged in the wrong way round."

youtube.com/watch?v=fXi3bjKowJU

I'd agree with this but Diamond Dogs is worth a listen too. Why is that so low?

I told you, the rating system on these sites are flawed.
youtube.com/watch?v=rrjsvfaVS5w

post rare bowies

the fuck is that?

ok wait here's a rare performance and an interview(one of the last one he did probably)
youtube.com/watch?v=cOQAmRLcxzw
youtube.com/watch?v=DasBAYJK3pc

A lot of critics were negative toward DD, it's a weird album because it's two different albums in one. The 2nd half was supposed to be a rock opera based on 1984 that got scrapped and just thrown onto this album instead. Rebel Rebel felt really out of place on it and just there so they can sell one last single to the glam-rock crowd.

I think it's just misunderstood, it was the first album after dropping his Ziggy persona and started moving more into the soul territory of Young Americans. But the musical styles are kind of all over the place.

Yeah. Frankly it's the album through which I discovered Bowie, I dearly love it, it's my favorite of them. Not the best, flawed, but has a very special place in my heart.

I knew about the rock opera bit; that's part of why I love it or found it, because I love rock operas. It's absolutely some kind if weird shit I'd want to write myself, so I love that aspect. Are you sure Diamond Dogs and Sweet Thing/Candidate aren't part of it, too? I've always read it having some relevance to a younger, sexier, rock-star sort of Big Brother, so it fits for me with Rebel Rebel as a sort of transition in narrator/perspective. Interesting if not because it works that way.

Bowie totally predicted punk and Cyberpunk with it, by the way. I forget if it was written in the liner notes or was later released, but the "Big Wheels" of Future Legend were supposedly crass rockers with spiked, dyed hair and leather jackets and shit, he totally called it. In some sense predicted Cyberpunk, too, combining that with a strong, violent dystopia and the themes of 1984. So hey.