Why is this considered bad

why is this considered bad

They don't wear face paint

It's mostly just that it was coupled with an egotistical manifesto and it labels itself as black metal when really it's more experimental rock or experimental metal. Not a bad album, but very disrespectful and untrue to black metal conventions - so much so that you couldn't even label it as such.

they do

there's also a more recent picture where he wears gold facepaint

Rock fans are close-minded

because HHH is cute and fucks brooklyn art chicks

I want HHH to be my gf

the problem with an open mind is that assholes are always gonna shove a bunch of stupid shit into it.

I think it's a pretty good album, but it's obvious that it's going to get shit considering HHH came to the scene as a complete outsider saying he is going to "revolutionize" the genre while being completely oblivious to what the actual genre is.
This album has some genuinely good ideas, like the inclusion and focus on repetition, even though bands like Aluk Todolo and Organ: were already doing it when Liturgy wasn't even a thing yet.

I'd rather take the time to sift through the stupid shit than keep listening to rockabilly till my 60s

the ark work is one of the GOATs

The Ark Work is one of those "it's so bad it's good" albums.
The songwriting is absolutely terrible to the point where it's almost laughable at some points, and the blends of genres is really bad, but it makes the whole thing sound entertaining nonetheless.

how embarrassing

Not quite

but his next album, the introductory lectures whatever something kabalah, actually made me laugh out loud.

New Introductory Lectures on the Transcendental System of Qabala is a mixed bag - you have the fully fleshed out tracks like Tense Stage and Ontological Love which are like Vitrol off The Ark Work but with only MIDI beats and more streamlined vocal delivery. Those two songs were some of the best songs of the year.

On the other hand you have tracks like Bezel II which is incoherent noise, and then filler instrumentals like Mea Culpa and NMWE that add nothing to the album.

If the album was condensed as an EP of just Tense Stage, Kairos, Bezel I and Ontological Love - it would've been EP of the year

>some of the best songs of the year
nigger what?
AT BEST they make for mildly interesting "prog-trap", and that's by hip-hop standards

And yes, the rest is hilariously absurd

I get that it's cool to be the guy who is level-headed and mitigates his opinions by finding good things to say about the album, like it's a cool posture to be able tosay "man, this album is tragically held back" and shit, but OBJECTIVELY, there is nothing good in the whole album.

There are thousands of basic, formulaic bandcamp EPs that blow it out of the water, regardless of which tracks you cherrypick. The existence of that EP is a strong argument in favor of stylistic stagnation. It could be used as a way to deter artists from experimenting.

>thinking having a balanced opinion about an album is only in pursuit of looking cool
what
>objectively there is nothing good in the whole album
can you objectively prove that outside of your subjective opinion?
>The existence of that EP is a strong argument in favor of stylistic stagnation. It could be used as a way to deter artists from experimenting.
Can you elaborate on this? The existance of New Introductory Lectures regardless of length / which tracks are used is evidence enough that HHH is experimenting by moving further away from his post/black metal associated discography with Liturgy

Yes I can prove that it's all objectively bad.
Exhibit A:
the music sounds like trash
>Can you elaborate on this? The existance of New Introductory Lectures regardless of length / which tracks are used is evidence enough that HHH is experimenting by moving further away from his post/black metal associated discography with Liturgy

And the result is so embarrassing, that it makes stylistic stagnation appear immensely preferably to experimentation, because it's so bad that it outweighs the benefits of experimentation

You're just reiterating your opinion for that first point

You have a point about the latter though, however I hope most budding musicians have a range of influences and aren't detered to experiment just from one artist's controversial release

HEY

it's not but it was transformed into a meme from the get-go by HHH bloviating about "transcendental" and "hyperborean" black metal

same thing as what happened with Sunbather and pitchfork desu