/Prod/

Based tutorial guy edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwyTrWJ7Djw
youtube.com/watch?v=3Omjl5_AveM
youtube.com/watch?v=Cf8ZiMJzJqY
youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M
youtube.com/watch?v=vAuR4xVFdjk
clyp.it/5c0fv005
youtube.com/watch?v=0FTC4dEsxBU
youtube.com/watch?v=m10srdeQ2Rg
clyp.it/gzc0tofu
native-instruments.com/en/products/thanksgiving-2017/
clyp.it/lfg2zuy4
clyp.it/awaldkk3
clyp.it/2dd4wsqa
clyp.it/fgxwxwms
youtube.com/watch?v=qwzQPh7dW_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

dead

but still moving

Anybody have the Sony MDRV6s? Any reason why a poorfag like myself shouldn't buy it? How's the sound quality?

is there any way to shape automation envelopes in Ableton 8 to curves?

i think that was added in live 9 but i might be remembering wrong

I'm curious how many of you play instruments vs just being computer musicians.

I started out playing trumpet in band, but I don't really count that. I really started by making shitty songs in that Mario paint program, upgraded to FL Studio and spent years with nothing but a mouse and keyboard, occasionally playing guitar. Then I went to school and took some piano and singing lessons, but it's really only been the last year that I've started seriously playing and recording guitar. I've always felt much more comfortable with just a mouse and keyboard, what about you /prod/? What's your story?

does /prod/ like Steely Dan? I know nothing that sounds more natural since they recorded everything live and didn't eq much. It's hard to imagine that you could listen to a band that has this incredible sound

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwyTrWJ7Djw

It's literally about the same as you I played trumpet, them I made songs in Little Big Planet 2, then made some real shit in FL for a while. Learned guitar, but haven't tried recording it yet.

Love steely dan. Though I've really only listened heavily to their first album and Aja

then listen to Royal Scam next

youtube.com/watch?v=3Omjl5_AveM

(that brass section)

Oh man I remember the music levels in LBP2. If I could offer some advice, record through a DI Box or Mic an amplifier. Don't record straight through it'll give you headaches

I play piano and started to learn using DAW because it's the easiest way to compose imo

Do you prefer recording MIDI live or trying to draw it in?

Thanks for the rec. This is boutta be all I listen to for a while

I draw it in because if I think thourougly about every note I can't play it in faster anyway. what I'm doing right now is making tracks with complete piano arrangements which I record live on a real piano afterwards and mix it to the midi track

I mic my amp, but I don't really how it sounds. I'll try the DI Box, it has to sound better than from my shitty amp.

not a waste of time

Nice. I was definitely not expecting that. I tried to do the same thing a couple years back where I wrote a full sonata and then tried and tried to practice it in synthesia but unfortunately I still can't play it =/

Yeah, try that. D.I. boxes will get rid of a shitload of noise when you plug your guitar in. What kind of pickups do you have? That always matters too. Honestly recording guitar is often a total money sink

none, I'm a bum. I literally put the microphone in front of my amp and start playing.

did it with this last week (sry, I posted in the last prod thread already, but whatever)

youtube.com/watch?v=Cf8ZiMJzJqY

I'm working on an arrangement of this gem right now

youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

I realized that it can be very frustrating to make an arrangement if you have to think of the voicings yourself, because you need a reason for every decision. only experience can help you there, I guess

Hello guys, not a Sup Forums regular but i was told sometime earlier that it was in /prod/ i could ask to find a hobby composer that might be interested in crafting a main-theme/anthem for a game faction. If any interest is shown i can provide more details.

I'd be interested, I'm that guy

y not post the highlight of the album

youtube.com/watch?v=vAuR4xVFdjk

It would be something for a faction of over a hundred members in a sci-fi game (not EVE but an upcoming game) our faction revolves around military power, loyal servitude and skill. What's your terms for making something for us? I can talk via mail ([email protected]) if you want to help out

I write you

My man pickups are the little magnets on your guitar that turn the vibrating strings into the electric signal coming out your guitar cable and into your amp. What I meant was are they humbuckers (where they're like double size like on most gibsons and ibanez and stuff) or single coils (where they're smaller, like the pickups on a strat) it might help you to just lurk around in /gg/ if you can handle the rampant shitposting. Or just go to like r/guitar

Hey no worries, i'm really jealous of your capacity to keep a steady rhythm in your left hand. I'm terrible at that. Maybe I should focus a bit more on piano... hmm... Also, I'll try and dig for my old sonata and get it on clyp if i can!

the trick is to get the movement out of your shoulder and not your under arm or your hands. But I struggled with that for years, too. It's has become better only recently

>I'm curious how many of you play instruments vs just being computer musicians.
I tried teaching myself how to play the piano but I either didn't try hard enough or I'm not good enough with my hands to pick it up
I'm thinking about taking a few music classes in college to pass the time while working on my degree, if I had to pick physical equipment I'd probably use tape

>pickups are the little magnets on your guitar that turn the vibrating strings into the electric signal coming out your guitar cable
lmao wow. I didn't know what those things were called. I'll figure this whole thing out

Hmm I've never tried that before! I thinnk my main issue tho is that I have a big ass keyboard with no stand and its kind of unergonomic when i play. Anyways, here's that sonata I wrote: clyp.it/5c0fv005 (there's seems to be a weird tail, you can just ignore the long silent ending lol)

Haha, no worries dude. I used to get confused by all the weird guitar terminology too. You might benefit from going to youtube and watching a couple videos about how to set up your guitar. Basically just get your intonation and your action to a better place with a couple twists of a screwdriver, set your pickup height (also with a screwdriver) and suddenly your guitar is more fun to play!

>if I had to pick physical equipment I'd probably use tape
I'm curious why? Tape is kind of a bitch to work with and very expensive for a sound that can (almost) be replicated by a computer...

I've been playing drums for about five years now. Just started using Reason and Ableton in the last 6 months or so. I'm trying to make sequenced drums sound more human, while also trying to incorporate things from electronic drums into my live drumming. Play guitar and bass as well, but really need to improve my keyboard skills.

if you have a unergonomic keyboard you should change that.
the thing with the shoulder is more something that develops, I knew this for years but now that I can do it it's completely different than I thought. You can get the feeling when you lean against a wall with your fingertips touching the wall only and lead your hands in a circle across the wall. That's only possible with the support from the shoulder.

Nice sonata btw mate. You've got a good right hand technique and your left hand doesn't suck as well. It's also a coherent piece, I like it.

I wrote a sonatina last year, I hadn't the technique to play it though. Would like a good piano player to try this once:

youtube.com/watch?v=0FTC4dEsxBU

does reason 9.5 have the ability to pitch shift samples without changing speed?, i cant do it in reason 5 so im thinking about getting ableton to do it.

yes you can transpose them up or down. It kind of degrades the audio, but I'm not super experienced with it so there might be a better way to do it.

Very nice. I got a drummer find whom I've known since I was a year old that I wish would do what you're doing right now! Look into groove quantization, it's a way for you to easily click in notes, but then have their timings and velocities adjusted so they sound more human. You can make your own grooves too!

Yeah, I need to get a stand lol. Totally just stood next to a wall and did that lmao. That's really interesting! I never would have associated the shoulder with piano playing.

Also, thank you for the feedback however I didn't play that at all, that is FL Studio showing up with the good technique. But I appreciate the praise nevertheless

My god this is amazing. I feel like a retard now. How did you learn to compose like this?

thanks. analyzing music you like and emulate it. getting started is the hardest part, though. took me years of dreaming about it before I wrote the first notes.

youtube.com/watch?v=m10srdeQ2Rg
anyone knows the sample in this song, the one at the beginning with the ragga guy saying "boy" or something

>have latency with midi controller in reaper
>recommended to install Asio4All
>ok
>now windows 10 has no sound
>AT ALL
>not itunes, youtube, etc nothing will play sound

what the fuck did you fagots make me do

why don't you buy a usb audio interface and install the ASIO drivers specific for that soundcard
but yeah successfully installing proper audio drivers is pretty much a "barrier to entry" to the music production world
it's to weed out the weak

cool, I'll have to check that out.

are you trying to listen to youtube while having reaper open?

i think with asio4all it will block all sound except reaper while using it

it seriously fucked something up

I uninstalled Asio4All and restarted my computer

now my headphones make no sound, and when I plug/unplug them from the jack the computer starts making screeching feedback sounds coming from the built-in speakers.

fuck you all to hell.

That blows man. I've never had problems installing the asio4all that comes with FL Studio

No problem. Another (more advanced) trick with percussion is to have different sounds for different velocities. So like 3 different recordings of a snare being hit, and the velocity determines which sample gets played, as well as just what's called round robin samples, which is when you have like 5 hat samples that get chosen at random whenever you put a note in for hat. Keeps things more human, bit it can take a bit to set up and a lot of samplers can't do it. Well I guess only some samplers can't do it

You're welcome my dude. I'm gonna have to start getting more meticulous about that. I've only recently started feeling comfortable hearing a melody and then picking up a guitar and playing it, so I guess I'll just have to start doing that more

hopefully anyone who uses asio4all can maybe help you fix it

ive always used a usb interface and never experienced any problems like this

don't put any pressure on you. sometimes you have to rewrite a phrase a douzen times until you like it and sometimes a composition is untouched for a few weeks until you want to look at it again. finding flaws in your stuff is actually a good sign because it shows that you have taste and you can make it better then. I think lack of patience is the main reason that kills motivation

windows 10

not even once

Youre a goner m8

i've never made this kind of stuff before, mostly just make minimal techno. eq is shit but i'd like sm feedback

clyp.it/gzc0tofu

>I'm curious why? Tape is kind of a bitch to work with and very expensive for a sound that can (almost) be replicated by a computer..
I already make ambient music using loops and apply effects that make it sound like damaged tape, but I dunno, I just really want to work with actual tape. I enjoy learning and doing things with my hands; I feel like I could totally engross myself in the physical process of creating tape music and I'm always looking for catharsis

black friday sale NI

native-instruments.com/en/products/thanksgiving-2017/

.. if you've pirated any of the NI software you may have issues getting it to work if you buy legit licenses etc !

You're remembering right

waves say they are releasing a brand new plugin free for black friday i wonder what it will be

>black metal is known for purposefully bad production
>can't get a good sound
lmao kill myself
clyp.it/lfg2zuy4

Just made this today tell me what y'all think if you care to listen please tell me what to improve on mixing, eqing, etc.

clyp.it/awaldkk3

I'm stuck on deciding which kind of bassline I should go for in this track. I'm shooting for a deep house type vibe any suggestions?

its hard to give suggestions atm cause its so bare bones

did you remember to study counterpoint today /prod/?

How do I make a guitar sample sound like FWIPFWIPFWIPFWIPWFWIPFWIP??

re-install asio for all

change default speaker settings

alternatively, re-download default audio drivers, and if you want to play, lower the audio buffer, the larger your buffer the longer it takes for audio to actually play from the moment its inputterd, to prevent overloading.

I've somehow lost this pattern list in FL Studio. How do I get it back?

Nevermind it's the picker panel.

Yeah, actually. Composing a choral piece, needed to remind myself of the standard Baroque counterpoint rules.

First time I've made something in a few months, bought some new EZ drums to inspire myself

I still think it's a bit messy, I just made it today in the last 3hrs

clyp.it/2dd4wsqa

>clyp.it/lfg2zuy4
m8 this is terrible
>clyp.it/awaldkk3
quality-wise, decent but not much there..

asio strikes again lmao

Very nice. If I didn't know better I'd have guessed you had a real drummer.

Thanks m8, it's all in the mixing with EZ drummer, most of the work was spent on the drum mix. Run all the channels to a bus and tweak the shit out of them

how do i learn to make better midishit without a midi keyboard

like fuck it i cant play a piano and most of my music is mostly rhythm based but i want there to be at least some melodic shit in my shit

So, I keep making my stuff in Reaper and it sounds fine, but then I'll upload it to Soundcloud and suddenly its too quiet. What's the problem?

imo you should get a keyboard it really helps instead of clicking in notes

try a simple gain increase in audacity

You using any limiters or compressors in your final mix (under "FX" on the Mixer)?

"Limiter No. 6" is pretty cool. So is "Molot." I've got good results from them.

No, I don't.

how do I make lo fi music like the qt3.14 clairo

How would I go about removing harmonic content from live instruments so they sound more "synthy"?

How would removing harmonic content make live instruments sound synthy?

agreed i used limiter no 6 on both these tracks
clyp.it/fgxwxwms

clyp.it/2dd4wsqa

I suppose if I had a hypothetical trumpet that was playing at 1000Hz and I wanted to make it sound more saw like I would want to remove content at 2000Hz 4000Hz and so on. I'm a noob so I might have the wrong idea. Basically, my question boils down to how you can make live instruments sound more "synthy". Forget about the harmonics if that isn't relevant.

talk me out of buying the Korg M1 vst

Saws have even and odd harmonics, you'd end up with something like a square wave, but with really weak tones since you're not adding any buzzy higher frequencies.

You'd be better off using some sort of distortion, maybe crossover distortion or some generic fuzzbox, maybe foldback distortion to make it sound sort of FM-ish. Then you can put filters and effects on it after that now that you've got the harmonics built up.

No pitchbends, you want the wavestation which has the same sounds and more.

I bought it a few months ago, very happy with it. It's not expensive either

also don't know what
is talking about, the M1 vst has pitchbends

it does have pitchbend on the vst you are probably thinking of the hardware

Ah, yeah.

good to know, thanks
so does the Wavestation have all the M1 sounds and more or just some?
otherwise why are they the same price?

does it really make that much of a difference? what keyboard would you recommend for someone who doesn't know how to play keyboard at all? also, what'd be the quickets way to learn it?

i actually looked up a video on the hardware version and it seems to have pitch bend with the stick because it works in 4 directions

tfw just being a software fag and not knowing this at first

the production is suitable for black metal, primarily the more raw stuff. If you were aiming for Wackenfest Gorgoroth bm then you fucked up but that doesn't seem to be the case. My only critique would to get a better drummer or practice more to stay on beat.

also the riffs are kinda bland and not interesting but that would probably be a good thing if you're planning to add vox later on. Even then, spice up the parts that the vox aren't on.

bump for answer

Can anyone tell me how I can get the swell sound that happens just before the beat kicks in with a free VST?
youtube.com/watch?v=qwzQPh7dW_4

What's the difference between taking a kick and boosting the lows and highs versus layering a kick with 1 layer having the low frequency and another layer having the high frequency?

for me it made a big difference being able to record and play for a while you can come up with some good stuff

i would get any basic midi keyboard with 49+ keys because i think 25 is not enough

for learning you just have to practice

Hey guys.

I am noob looking to buy a reasonably priced interface and mic. The intention is to mostly record an acoustic guitar and vocals. And sometimes a digital keyboard.

I have been looking at the Steinberg UR22 and Scarlett 2i2. While checking out reviews I have come across various problems with both of them (direct mono monitoring on the UR22 and clipping in the 2i2).

For a mic, I'm looking for a large diaphragm condenser like the Samson C03, but am concerned about the ambient noise that enters my room (cars passing by, construction etc.).

Since my technical knowledge and practical experience is lacking in this field, I turn to y'all for advice.

Thanks

then that's what i'm gonna do man, thanks

my motor skills are fucked because of literal autism but i hope i can still get some reltatively catchy tunes out of it

I have no money no equipment no instruments absolutely nothing except a computer and knowledge of music theory
Can I make quality music?

What's some good free music creation software

how do i git gud at making beats (for fun)?

id post some stuff but i dont know if its good enough

just pirate something. if u dont want to do that u can use reaper or something

Anybody?

>good enough
its /prod/ we're talking about. just post it and see what people think.