Less industrial remaster

Do you prefer the 2017 remaster of The Downward Spiral, or do you prefer the abrasive buzzing sound of the original?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY
youtube.com/watch?v=QetWu1ayous
youtube.com/watch?v=gdiakAuBxNA
youtube.com/watch?v=TeCjWtpjKlM
youtube.com/watch?v=UTXnju3lEIA
archive.org/details/TheDeathOfPablo
mastering-media.blogspot.com/2009/03/do-kids-prefer-mp3-sizzle-bullshizzle.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does it really sound different from the original 1994 mix?

I think so. It could be because I have the original on mp3 and the remaster on flac.

If you listen to pure industrial music, you'll hear the tones are really harsh.

The remaster was different enough for me to delete it. Imo it's better to enjoy the album as it was intended.

if you want to give it a listen, I'm interested in your opinion.

I feel the same was about the stealth Life of Pablo stealth remaster. The cleaner one was not as enjoyable to me.

I prefer the 2004 remaster

The remaster suprisingly sounds close to current NIN in some ways when you remove the harhs noises, the drum-beats become more noticable and obvious.

I bet this is how Trent actually wanted album to sound in the first place, all the dirtiness in it and harness wasn't necesarry intentional.

Nevertheless. Remaster opens you up to hear much more things and detail.

you right

>sounds more like current NiN
that's totally it. more bass less buzz

he's been washing out industrial music to make it more palatable since he started.

Ghosts was not very good imo, but the Vietnam War soundtrack was quite good.

>he's been washing out industrial music to make it more palatable since he started.
But some recent(recentish) releases have tons of buss, I think The Slip was buzzy as hell for example

the split and year zero are not recent to me. to me, hesitation marks was recent. did you enjoy those albums?

>he's been washing out industrial music to make it more palatable since he started.

are you implying PHM is his most industrial record?

>the split and year zero are not recent to me. to me
That feeling when you realize those were like ten years ago by now.

And I loved Hesitation Marks, it is definetelly the cleanest one though.

What about Not The Actual Events though? That record is not clean by one bit, and Add Violence isn't all that clean either, The Background World and Not Anymore are on it so.

youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY

not really. The Downward Spiral might be?

industrial music with rap or rock is diluting it

it's more noisy to me, just fuzz generated by distortion

I love the two new EP's.

that sound can be made with a cheap bass amp. it's not exactly skinny puppy

youtube.com/watch?v=QetWu1ayous

that song is amazing though. I've listened to it about a hundred times

I AM FORGIVEN. I AM FREE. I AM A FIELD ON FIRE.

(warning, scary)
youtube.com/watch?v=gdiakAuBxNA

It's almost as though Trent isn't Industrial, but because he was hanging out with Industrial musicians at the time and he's a chameleon by nature, the label just sort of stuck.

stop listening to interscope money grabs

everything he made from scratch with atticus ross is flawless imo

I prefer him working with Ross. Ross seems to keep him grounded and hungry.

are Skinny Puppy instrumentals a thing? I can't bear those cringe af vocals, it's my main problem with most industrial

youtube.com/watch?v=TeCjWtpjKlM

youtube.com/watch?v=UTXnju3lEIA

just showing you for educational purposes. I never listen to real industrial.

>a 30-minute loop of noise sample
>the audio of a youtube poop video.

brb off to record my 10 hour long rick & morty-influenced avant garde industrial tribute.

thanks for the inspiration, but I was looking for instrumental Skinny Puppy

Rick and Morty started out as one of the best animated series ever, until executives realized it was a cash cow and messed with the production to make it normie like all of those movies retards in Sup Forums talk about.

executives are fucked up.

Is this true also to the Broken remaster? fuck this shit i'm redownloading all of the original releases

definitive edition my ass

most of season 1 was a bad futurama clone
the show was good for a very narrow window

if by bad you mean good, then yes

yeah be sure to come to your own conclusions about it, tho

no by bad i mean bad. god's not real i've come for ur testicles morty... inside a simulation xd

"Haha those idiots think Rick and Morty is deep. My favorite TV shows actually are inspired by obscure philosophy novels."

i said nothing about depth, i said it was unfunny

I never listened to the tds remaster

personally I don't think those albums needed to be remastered - he did the best with what was available to him and the sound of the albums roots them in their original context

I understand why you're not open to it being good. Dan Harmon is a douche and the execs ruined it. Justin Roiland is a treasure, though, and funny.

>what was available to him
Practically everything? Labels dropped millions in cash to musicians back then. Ministry got $750.000 to produce their '92 record while they were relatively unknown

I do not hear a difference, it is just a better slicker master.

>don't hear a difference
>better

how can this be

It is not such a significant remaster that it is "less" industrial somehow, that was my point. I hear the same album just clearer, yeah, that is actually a difference I went full retarded.

You're probably right. If you secretly switched them out, I might not even notice.

Kayne's TLoP remaster is very different though, and the old releases were replaced with the remastered version on download and streaming services. So, dramatic change in the form of remastering is possible.

Trent recently remastered The Fragile as well. I think he has a new idea of what the albums ought to sound like since working with Atticus Ross. Maybe the ability to keep going back and reworking things that were successful is a bit of a curse. It feels better to just be confident in your work.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Fragile and Downward Spiral remastered were made to fit with Trent's new vision of what music ought to sound like.

But yeah, you're right. It is definitely industrial music, without a doubt. that was a clickbaity title for me to put.

>I went full retarded
no way, bud

Hold up, 2017 remaster? As in the digital download that came with the new vinyl release? Be nice to hear an example. Curious what a "clean" sounding TDS is like.

Any noticeable differences on the other albums?

I find the OG to be unlistenable. It hurts my ears. The remaster is smooth.

the difference is subtle. it's really only worth comparing the two versions if you're an OCD music collector.

if you want to hear more mellow NiN, I would check out The Fragile Instrumentals, The Vietnam War soundtrack, and the Quiet Tracks compilation - in that order.

I have hearing damage. If your ears are hurting, you should try an equalizer and new headphones or speakers.

the remaster is a lot clearer, like you said

the track wolves is a lot better on the original, though.

also, there's a part on the "updated" Ultralight Beam where they doctor a Chance line in for the sake of clarity, which is not in the spirit of rap imo

when users from Sup Forums made The Death of Pablo (check that out if you haven't listened to it, please), noise and distortion were the main focus, and that's probably because of what the original sounded like

archive.org/details/TheDeathOfPablo

pic related is the real cover, I think they became worried it would hurt Kayne's feelings? see, even they changed things.

also in the remaster of Loveless, they made a separate one out of analogue tapes. is that because some people didn't like the clarity?

another argument about whether or not the low quality "sizzle" of mp3 format is desirable
mastering-media.blogspot.com/2009/03/do-kids-prefer-mp3-sizzle-bullshizzle.html

a study showed that students preferred mp3 to higher quality formats, although most psych studies are not reproducible or valid

Anywhere I can listen to the new master?

go to a record shop and buy the vinyl

You can get it digitally for free too

im sorry trent, you told me i can steal ur music.

But, I bought Hesitation Marks like three times, so it's okay, right?

NTAE was rough as fuck, and that's one of their most recent releases.

Reptile is still the best song

NIN has too many master-pieces for me to choose which song is the best, every album from NIN has songs that are "the best" from NIN, it's crazy.

I’ve bought the vinyl, cd, and have paid digitally for it already in the past. Rather not pay for it four times.

It's okay.

Thank you Trent.