Why was Mick Taylor the best guitarist in the Rolling Stones and why did they kick him out?

Why was Mick Taylor the best guitarist in the Rolling Stones and why did they kick him out?

youtube.com/watch?v=cpwsTyD6XQg

He is genuinely on a different level from the rest of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GETfPHaBbwY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's never been entirely clear why he left the band, conflicting stories have been told over the years and Taylor himself has maintained a rather low profile and not given many interviews. Jagger and Richards have at various times claimed that he came off as too much of a session musician that, while gifted on the axe, lacked the flamboyant image that fit the band.

In short, he was too boring and not colorful enough of a person for them.

I think he quit

I get the impression that it was kind of like John Frusciante--the pressure of being a rock star overwhelmed him.

I think he probably just realized he could be doing things where he'd be a more prominent fixture, not necessarily in terms of fame but creatively. I mean in the Stones he was third banana at best, but realistically he probably commanded the least respect out of anybody, Watts, Wyman, Ian Stewart included. Story goes that he didn't get writing credits on a lot of stuff, which is a tale as old as time. Do I believe it? Well, the Stones were really never any good after he left...

They hired him to do certain stuff that Keith didn't like doing, particularly guitar solos. Christgau claimed that Taylor was added to update their sound a little for the 70s by bringing in a young kid who had been more directly influenced by the new boogie rock sound.

Didn't want his family to get drawn into the heroin life. Richards was getting insecure, too.

>tfw his first gig for the stones was in front of like 300 thousand people

fucking insane.

>Well, the Stones were really never any good after he left
Especially in terms of having decently-mixed albums.

Even John Frusciante didn't have to play a stadium on his first gig with RHCP, he'd been in the band two years before that happened. But 300,000 people when you're just a green-eared teenager...that would be hard for anyone.

Charlie Watts is so fucking based.

>They hired him to do certain stuff that Keith didn't like doing, particularly guitar solos
Sympathy For The Devil? Derp?

I didn't say he never did solos, I said he rarely did them. Keith is primarily a rhythm guitarist, and barring a few odd exceptions like that song, they didn't have many guitar solos pre-Mick Taylor. Taylor said after he joined the band, he'd look at a song and start seeing places to stick solos everywhere.

Some Girls was good

Nice digits

He subbed for Clapton at a Mayall's Bluesbreaker gig. Then, later replaced Peter Green for 3 Bluesbreakers albums before joining the Stones. He was far from a newb.

The Stones are patrish, it's too bad their legacy has been tarbrushed by their insistence on trying to be rock stars in their dotage and refusing to go away. They became the prototype for every bad joke about dadrock, Spinal Taps, washed up rock stars, etc.

He quit because he didn't want to get murdered like Brian Jones

youtube.com/watch?v=GETfPHaBbwY Mick could play the living fuck out of the slide guitar. Dat vibrato.

He Quit.

His quote was something like "I still want to have a music career in a decade and I can't do that with the Rolling Stones."

I always thought it was funny, like he was saying that the stones were washed up and he was going to be relevant.

But it seems it was that he felt Keith was a bad influence and he went to rehab, kicked coke, herion but still had bouts of alcoholism.

So I think his point was, he'd be dead if he didnt quit.

tru,