Do you like an artist less when you learn they're Christian?

Do you like an artist less when you learn they're Christian?

Other urls found in this thread:

contradictingbiblecontradictions.com/?p=4288
wikiislam.net/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i like an artist less whenever i learn that they're either a muslim or a scientologist

It doesn't make me like them less, it just introduces a bit of persistent confusion where I imagine what kind of cognitive dissonance it takes to be intelligent and deep but also believe in (the Abrahamic) God. But this also happens to me with regular people. I know that makes me sound like a raging Atheist but it's really just more of a curious thing for me.

My appreciation for Low did briefly take a hit when I found out they were Mormons.

i cant take balding artists (or people) seriously

I like them more...?

No

I don't care about an artist religion.So, nothing changed

this is why i take propecia user. this exact reason.

Generally, no. Most aren't preachy about it.
In a more extreme variation of the question, is it ok to like a musicians music, even if they did something awful? Gary Glitter for example.

As long as they aren't also Jewish i'm fine with it. Nothing is worse than Jewish Christian artists

Yes, although most artists/comedians/musicians that did awful things are conveniently terrible anyway. Gary Glitter, Bill Cosby, Ian Watkins.

Kind of.
Like I'm so used to seeing mainstream protestant preachers that when I find out that a musician is christian it's like they lose authenticity.

No, that's really fucking retarded.

No. but I do when they're a sexual deviant

makes me like them more

not really. but it does make me feel strange

GG was a glam rock legend. Totally pioneered hard rock. ANOTHER ROCK AN ROOOOLLL CHRISTMAAAAAAS Fucking legendary.

sufjans overtly christian songs made me reconsider religion and start going to church but before i became a christfag it definitely made me like them less

>I imagine what kind of cognitive dissonance it takes to be intelligent and deep but also believe in (the Abrahamic) God. But this also happens to me with regular people
I make a point to avoid using fedora memes but you're making it really hard
Do you actually think that every Christian is just a retard who can't think properly like you? Do you think you're smarter than thousands of theologians who have devoted their lives to philosophy, history, and esotericism?

no, the opposite

every celebrity is expected to be some moral relativist now who agrees with the latest liberal ephemera, supports the same candidate, campaigns for the same shit. they're all boring cowards

Billy Corgan is pretty based

how could you not know sufjan was christian though, it's an explicit theme in like all of his songs

I think he meant that how can someone be as smart as them and then do fucking leap in their logic to believe in a god
You sounds like a raging autist

It seems like a common theme for aging metalheads to embrace Christianity. I've read Mustaine has even changed his lyrics on account of it. It's cool until they do shit like that.

there's immense pragmatic usefulness in assuming the Christian god exists. your life will simply improve in all sorts of ways (this is why Christians are always score higher rates of happiness and life fulfilment than their atheist counterparts)

because if they were born into it, it's not a "fucking leap in logic", it's the starting point from which the rest of their view derives
converts on the other hand...

Its not about logic, it's about faith. Both are equally important. Human life and existence in general would be pointless without the existence of a god.

depends what you mean by god
people who say they need sky father to dominate them or they would rape and murder are scum, but i guess that's better than the alternative for people like that

this. I'm was raised as an atheist but recently I've started praying and there's an immense quality to it that can't be quantified. I believe there is something in our brain that needs to give itself up to the chaos of the universe. it's a connection and understanding that no amount of science can create.

people like that just do it anyway

no there are loads of people who would but are simply too afraid of hell or the equivalent so they appear decent on the surface through mental subjugation and project that onto other people who can act decent because they want to
the people who do anyway are different because they know it's bullshit and just keep up the image

>need sky father to dominate them
Reducing someone's worldview to some insulting misrepresentation makes you look like a fedora

honestly dont give a shit tb desu

>Yes, although most artists/comedians/musicians that did awful things are conveniently terrible anyway.
Definitely not true unfortunately

either i'm not talking about you or i hit a nerve

plenty of rock legends were rapists or had sex with 12 year olds

I don't give a shit

no but it makes me put a different interpretation on their music, innocuous things could have sinister intent through the lens of religion

faith is the leap in logic

no

>Maybe you shouldn't mock someone's most deeply-held beliefs with r/atheism catchphrases
>WOW I HIT A NERVE YOU MAD CHRISTFAG??

looks like he hit a nerve

i was talking about a specific kind of religious person, so you're either misinterpreting it as a blanket statement or taking it personally for a reason

t. doesn't know shit about Christian theology

start with pic related babby

Do you mean artists who use religion in their music? It takes me out of the song sometimes but Sufjan is subtle about it.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis would be good too.

No, that's Subaru

Real world experience isn't logical, binary, discursive. I take it you consider most forms of contemplation and introspection to be 'woo-woo', and your life will immensely suffer as a result. All of the world religions have apotheosis at its root, in fact it's the same vision across the board. If you are seriously willing to completely throw that to the wayside because "DURRR SCIENCE HASN'T PROVED IT YET SO IT'S NOT TRUE YET" then I show you no pity for the empty life ahead of you.

This is some fine bait

>2017
>defending religion

m'jesus

>post-adolescence
>still hating Christ
m'enorah

>not salvaging the good stuff and dropping the mythology

hare krishna bro!

another example of someone failing to do that

DUDE SYNCRETISM LMAO

do you really need the talking snake?

>taking 2 of each animal on the planet into a boat that could only fit a couple hundred at most
>a vain god murdering millions and millions of people
>the promise of "free will" yet making anyone who doesn't worship god burns in a firey plane of existence for eternity
yep because all of these are just as valuable as
>don't kill people
>love your neighbor

Yes, I need the rich theological symbolism, not just the cafeteria leftovers.

>taking Genesis literally

>symbolism
that's pretty much what i'm trying to say, we're closer than you think, unless you think the talking snake was literally real

It does confuse me when someone that is otherwise intelligent believes in an Abrahamic cult, yes. It's like when you see a famous doctor or scientist and find they're a Scientologist.
Neopaganism and atheism are the only logical choices, feel free to post your fedora memes.

it's the word of god, if you're not taking it literally then you're doing it objectively wrong

>Neopaganism and atheism are the only logical choices, feel free to post your fedora memes.
wrong, agnostic atheism is the only logical choice. neopaganism is literally witchcraft, yet another religion founded in magical bullshit but this time it's the people practicing the religion that can use magic, and not just the deities

>that's pretty much what i'm trying to say
You're mocking the symbolism instead of acknowledging it as such.
>unless you think the talking snake was literally real
I'm not an ameripleb protty.

Scripture contains multiple different literary genres.

>paganism
>worshipping a canon of ancient superheroes made up cause people didnt know where lightning came from
epic move user

what don't you understand about "word of god?"

i'm mocking it as interpreted as an actual event

What do you think you understand?

When did I?

>IT'S MUH BODEE IT'S MAI LAIFE

we'll see where that gets you

Regular church going sheep are fine but anyone who claims scientology is someone i would not listen too

you didn't, i just made fun of people who did and then you got autistic about it which made me think you were one of them until you clarified

I’m not Christian (like non-Christian family) and also didn’t have a great deal of exposure to serious Christian people. When Illinois came out I don’t think I would’ve understood that he was xtian if I hadn’t looked into the lyrics more. I actually think it was the lyrics of To Be Alone With You (his most popular non-Illinois track at the time) that was more of a clue-in. But for people who aren’t Christian the whole “love and adore Jesus” thing a la To Be Alone With You is kinda weird/different

I was much more miserable when involved with Christianity.

it's gotten me quite far in life so far, and I suspect keeping an open mind instead of pigeonholing myself into an old world religion does more for my quality of life. are you talking about hell? hell doesn't exist. death is permanent unconsciousness; if you think otherwise your beliefs are ultimately unfounded and wrong.

I really, honestly didn't mean what I said with any animosity. The truth is that I envy deists on some level. I moved past fedora stage close to 20 years ago and since then I have read the Bible front to back and parts of the Quran with a genuine desire to gain moral understanding, increase my spirituality, and relate to a branch of religion that I understand very little about.

I am not against the idea of a creator. In fact, I think it's inevitable. I just don't put much stock in the Abrahamic one. The canonical texts of the Bible are poorly written and compiled, and plagiarize older stories, plus it contradicts itself at times (especially in the NT). The Quran is logical and at times lyrical and pleasant to read but ultimately sounds like the tool for control that it is.

I do believe that spiritual people are probably happier and more fulfilled. If I could change myself to be that way, I probably would. I just can't buy into it. I really, really tried. And I think part of it (and part of most people's faith) is that I just wasn't born into it and I'll never be able to rewire myself in that aspect. But I'm done treating other people differently because of it. I really don't care if you or anyone believes in it.

That doesn't mean I have to validate it, either.

Sufjan is absolutely not subtle about it at all, at least not these days, but while I don't appreciate religion on its own, the aesthetic is good for art, music included.

>keep an open mind
>lalalalalala the only thing that matters are physical emperical data

t. brainlet

If there's anything autistic it's: I bet you throw pizza crust into the trash.

Because your faith was weak.

you are assuming that all I care about in life is emperical data and that is not the case
religion is a form of philosophy and as such should be treated as separate from science and hard facts

>hell doesn't exist
You're in for a shock, kiddo.

sorry if i wasn't clear but by "dropping the mythology" i meant literal interpretations, which we seem to basically agree on. chill out

That's partly why--sometimes, faith is painful--but not the whole of it. Regardless, some institutions of this religion do induce more misery than not for many. Not everyone is meant for a lifestyle like that.

>poorly written
What translation did you read?
>it contradicts itself at times
No it doesn't.

contradictingbiblecontradictions.com/?p=4288

oh shit, you got any proof of that my dude? I'm not excepting people who have died and come back, it's been proven that there's psychoactive release of chemicals before death, the heaven and hell that they experience exists solely in their mind

The key is to actually get interested and read theological writings. Faith is to be nurtured.

oh it definitely exists, just not in the way you think
death is the way out, not in

but only if it's christianity, right? would you say the same about islam? how about norse mythology? how about any of the other numerous religions that have writings about them?

What you currently experience is also in your mind.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily the key, since I'm deeply interested in theology and religious studies in general and have pursued them to the extent I've been able during the past several years. Of course, the circumstances of your faith are not universal.

Yes. But I like a musician less when I learn they unironically care about anything.

>we're all in the matrix man
>solipsism maaaaan only your mind is real
>yeah man I've done dmt a few times

>would you say the same about islam?
Islam is a joke.

wikiislam.net/wiki/Main_Page

can you cut this shit out and be straight?

Stay mad, NPCuck.

i'm not the one pulling my life philosophy from a 1999 science fiction action film written and directed by The Wachowskis, starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, and Joe Pantoliano.

oh so it's just the religions you deem fit, got it. enlightment can only come from the places that you respect.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Not an argument.