Should we terraform Mars? I would love to visit another planet during my lifetime. What about Sup Forums?

Should we terraform Mars? I would love to visit another planet during my lifetime. What about Sup Forums?

Attached: WLyc1b8.jpg (2560x1600, 708K)

me too but terraforming would take centuries at best. reincarnate in 1000 years. see ya then bro

terraforming Mars is a bigger multigeneration project than building a cathedral. Maybe it also needs church backing in order to keep it going in the long term. Let's start a letter writing campaign to the Pope!

Whst about the difference in gravity? Will it have an effect on bone density and blood circulation? Are there any cures for that?

Yeah, definitely. We should do many things that will not have an impact in our immediate lifetime that is good for future generations.

This is one of those things.

Attached: 2ur1e1y.png (639x366, 275K)

This.

I don't know. I'm sure there is lots of data from extended space station missions but that still isn't the same.

to me the biggest problem with mars is it essentially has no magnetic field so it gets the full bombardment of solar radiation. the planet was too small and the core cooled and solidified. need hot liquid core for magnetic field

It is believed that Mars had liquid water and a working magnetic field. Is there a way to restore the magnetic field?

the cool thing about mars is that it would have been capable of supporting life before earth was. maybe even intelligent life. still we should go there and see what we can find.

>terraform a planet
>in my lifetime

Nigga what

Attached: A9688E5A-6088-4CC0-A75C-DD895398FA69.jpg (552x805, 89K)

mars still has liquid water

google nasa finds liquid water on mars

to restart the magnetic field we would have to destroy it by increasing it's mass by at least 50% (?). to do this we would have to harvest large asteroids from the asteroid belt and shoot them at mars until the desired mass is achieved. then wait a few thousand years or so for it to cool back down bc the whole planet would be red hot lava.

I didn't say terraform during my lifetime. I said id love to visit the red planet and be part of something bigger that will hopefully make the planet green someday.

Can we go Ultor style and oppress the future inhabitants?

Attached: 1522019475838.png (567x748, 462K)

What about artificial magnetic field?

Yeah but its a really hostile place, thats the same attitude those missionaries have in Africa. Fyi mars is occasionally ravaged by unimaginably large dust storms with hurricane force winds, so good luck doing any good with that.

Best option is to pelt that bitch with asteroids and ice and wait a century or two

Lmao not the same thing.

That would work. Massive energy requirements. Would have to use yet to be developed superconductor tech. but yes.

one thing the atmosphere would still be thin. back to increasing mass to hold a thicker atmosphere.

I'm with you OP lets do this thing!

Isnt it tho?

Trust me it is not going to happen during your lifetime sorry to burst your bubble

Maybe, when we have the technology to send large amounts of people / grow local population (excluding potential machines) it will probably still be easier to build enclosed habitats over craters and maybe encompass the planet in 'domes' before it is feasible to make the planet 'entirely' Earth-like.

Firstly the lack of a significant planetary magnetic field is an issue that cannot be easily resolved. 'Restarting the dynamo' is a incredible process and may require bombarding the planet with asteroids rendering it uninhabitable potentially for millions of years. Favouring habitat construction.

The production of an Earth-like atmosphere is also problematic as with the low mass and lack of magnetic field atmospheric particles will 'slowly' be lost to space, requiring replenishment. When planetary reserves are depleted this will need to be sourced from elsewhere (energy and heat budget intensive) and all the material you loose to a 'leaky' atmosphere is less you have on hand. Suggesting sheltered industry as a better alternative.

The creation of significant planetary waterbodies and a limited atmosphere is possible if the polar caps were melted but this requires significant energy investment/climate modification. A 'half way point' of rarified/different atmosphere from Earth with ecosystems of modified organisms for the harsh conditions (including humans) is more achievable.

If you have the energy (potentially fusion) for such a project your probably better of investing it elsewhere making orbital habitats / manufactories and possibly leaving the surface for resource extraction. Its not like in this potential future you need a hospitable planetary vista where Earth organisms can survive 'unaided' from a pragmatic/economic standpoint. Most industry can be indoors/ communities housed in angled rotating habitats (simulating Earth gravity) domed over craters with subsidised sunlight.

Attached: 3dbcjtGuyWScY_bUCgSBihPDBF7TCq85_xHK2l3Ry7g.png (480x556, 104K)

No but I think the world should start sending our trash that can't recycled to Mars.

Yes because sending things on a rocket to Mars at over $10,000 a kilo is a better use of recourses than just storing it in a old mine here.

Good luck with this. The total mass of the asteroid belt is estimated to be only about 3x10^21kg (with one third concentrated in Ceres), whereas Mars has a mass of 6.4171×10^23 kg. Bombard it with everything and you gain 0.5% in mass.

Then just build a really big catapult or trebuchet to shoot it into space in the general direction of Mars

Kudos for that post. Hope for Sup Forums restored.

Planetary dust-storms on Mars a surprisingly weak (a light breeze really) despite the high windspeed with the atmosphere being around half of one percent of Earths (0.6%). The low gravity, 'smooth' surface and fine grain size allows its to stay airborne the real hazard is the dust blocking solar panels and clogging machinery.

>Are there any cures for that?
Just breed and make babies there until evolution finishes doing what it's been doing since the first life was born.

>What about Sup Forums?
I think terraforming Sup Forums is a terrible idea

Build a space elevator and send it in to space. After few years we would have a trash moon orbiting the earth.

Well and good.

well shit, there goes that plan....

Evolution only works like that by having everyone die that isn't immune to Mars, and I doubt any are, so that won't work

Gotta pay the price like our ancestors

We whould terraform the earth. By salting it.

maybe extend the harvest to the oort cloud and possibly moons of jupiter and saturn. that would be more than enough for a few earth sized planets.

Well you invest the energy putting it in orbit (more efficient than a rocket but still intensive). This orbit will eventually decay due to minute atmospheric drag (even at geostationary positions) and dump 'all' that energy into the atmosphere heating/polluting the planet. But thats some WALL-3 tier trash. Not like we're gonna be buried in garbage on Earth if we actually put our minds to it.

The radiation is deadly, and the gravity is too low for human fetuses to develop properly. It's a dead end as far as colonization is concerned.

>I would love to visit another planet during my lifetime

tough shit poorfag

It may not be terraformable, per se.

We've found in the last few years that there are huge, HUGE amounts of chlorine compounds in the air and soil.

Many people in the know consider this a far bigger problem than the lack of a global magnetic field.

Mars? I hear they got some tasty burgers. I ain't neva had one myself

m8 why move entire planet sized bodies/materials (some of the Gas Giant's moons) when you can just make colonies there. If you have that amount of energy just make rotating space habitats unless your terraforming for 'personal' reasons.

fo reals? chlorines? shits!

>chlorine
So we make Mars a giant water park.

just proposing options for op. id guess he has a report due soon

This.

Brilliant! Now all Mars needs is a few trillion teralitres of water.

Attached: 1522240581085.gif (320x253, 995K)

No

> The radiation is deadly
- Live beneath the surface
- Cure cancer/DNA damage
- Generate a local magnetic field

>the gravity is too low for human fetuses to develop properly
We don't know that. Even if its is this can be overcome with genetic modification or we could augment the surface gravity with acceleration (G-force) from an inclined rotating floor to simulate Earth conditions. Like a rotating habitat but for use on a planet.

Why not earthfag.

Shouldn't be hard to find Earth is almost all water

Or print water.

Id rather wish the nukes fall so I can rape and eat my neighbors

fuck it... why not?

DW its just locked up in the ice caps. Enough to cover much of the surface in a few meters of water. In the past the icecaps were 6.5x larger (before they were lost to space) and 20% of the planet was covered in an ocean miles deep in places. Of course you would need some atmosphere possibly enough from the frozen CO2 and created water vapour) to stop it evaporating and it would eventually be lost to space, but what the hell.

European Southern Observatory (2015-03-05). "Mars: The planet that lost an ocean's worth of water". ScienceDaily. Archived from the original on 2015-03-10. Retrieved 2015-03-10.

Attached: thRB9UIDV2.jpg (243x160, 9K)

>terraform

That's somewhere between realistically impractical to outright impossible. You don't change the planet to suit humans, you change humans to suit the planet. If your body were fully mechanical, you could live on a fucking asteroid without issue, assuming it wasn't overly radioactive or something.

Don't take water form Earth. Firstly good luck getting that passed. It is inefficient to ship a bulk item form Earth's gravity well. Better to use ice rich asteroids or melt the polar caps.

>cover much of the surface in few meters of water
Um... you do realise that Mars is pretty not-flat? In other words, instead of covering "much of the surface in a few meters of water", you'd cover a small portion of Utopia Planitia in about 20m of water.

>Is there a way to restore the magnetic field?
Not now, no. But who knows how technology will advance, couple hundred/thousand years from now they just might find a way to microwave the core. I guess if you control the core you can manipulate any planet if we had a means of burrowing down to the core, setting up a contaiment capable of withstanding all that heat and pressure, then remelting the core it would be possible but like I said that's hundreds if not thousands of years off, I'd imagine it would take a couple hundred years just to build the structure for doing that.
I honestly think artificial planets will become a lot sooner, if you're talking about teraforming it's a slow process that might have unpredictable results and can fuck up at any time for any reason. In retrospect deconstructing a planet and using all of it's raw resources to create a 100% controlled environment seems a much more viable, if equally monumental task.

Attached: artificial_planet_by_cyberkolbasa-d6xrw1d.jpg (1024x585, 135K)

if we grow human brain inside a jar (which removes toxins and gives nutrients). The brain can maybe adapt to the environment as it grows.
However, we wouldn't be able to communicate with it.
Not like we had any luck with baby retards.

Don't think its possible for a grown brain to adapt to new environment.

>Evolution only works like that by having everyone die that isn't immune to Mars, and I doubt any are, so that won't work
That's not evolution, you're talking about natural selection which is a process separate from evolution. There's no need for everyone to die for new generations to adapt to mars gravity. Generation 2 would already be much weaker, bone density and strength in a healthy human/animal is directly proportional to the strength of the gravity.

Olympic games would be a deadly spectacle though. Usain Bolt would reach escape velocity on a body the size of Deimos.

Yes, it was a 'visual' aid. You never know who your talking to :)

I was thinking more along the lines of pipes. Plumb the water to Mars

Well he wouldn't be able to connect the surface enough to reach top speed without aid but thats just me being pedantic.

Compare and contrast to that all the water on Earth (assuming a level crust) would result in a global ocean about 3km deep. Any way you slice it, Mars needs way more water to be the awesome Wet 'n' Wild Water World envisaged by , sadly.

>I was thinking more along the lines of pipes. Plumb the water to Mars
And then what happens to earth? You do know earth's water is in a constant cycle of change, it doesn't just come out of nowhere. If you take it from here to put it on a different planet, it's gone permanently and it's not getting replaced.

Attached: watercycle-usgs-poster.jpg (2150x1497, 1.34M)

So would your grandma. Isn't escape velocity like 20km/h there?

How's that? I was pretty sure creatures only adapt cross generationally by natural selection, how do the genetics differ in a baby born on mars than on earth, please explain how their bone density would decrease to me if you could, is it the lack of exposure to gravity in the womb?

Are you joking? I think your joking but I will answer this anyway. Any pipe you built would take an enormous amount of material, pass through the Sun at some stage of its orbit, have to stretch and contract as the distance changes and not collapse under its own weight/gravity.

Yes, using a metal pipe to send water from Earth to Mars is absolutely idiotic.

That's why you make the pipe out of bendy-plastic.

Bone density is astronauts in orbit decreases due to natural atrophy. The bones are not under strain and are thus degraded faster than replenished. This is a natural process that we don't normally notice being subject to gravity and all. Its like muscle loss from lack of exercise.

Well and good.

>how do the genetics differ in a baby born on mars than on earth, please explain how their bone density would decrease to me if you could, is it the lack of exposure to gravity in the womb?
In the womb? Bone density is not something that is set at birth, it needs constant gravitational strain to maintain it's structure density which is decided by environment, not genetics. The weaker the gravity, the lower the bone density, it's as simple as that. You should think of bones like muscles, the less resistance they get, the weaker they get.

:(

Goodnight Everyone its 4:00 am here so I'm off. RIP thread, you were good, your trolls were good and I hope we all learned something.

Attached: 1520665749460.gif (300x186, 446K)

Well, 3.53.

'night Ausfag.

Would having a lower bone density and whatever other changes be a boon that would make them more acclimated to living on another planet?
Surely even with that there are still many other problems, but still.

>Would having a lower bone density and whatever other changes be a boon that would make them more acclimated to living on another planet?
No, because while their bone density and muscle strength would weaken, they'd still have the same body size and structure. They'd spend a life filled with bone fractures and heart conditions with the life expectancy of about 40-50 years of age, and if the ever decided to visit earth, they'd have to use crtuches and wheelchairs as well as put their health at an even greater strain every time their shuttle left/entered the atmosphere.

For most part it's true in reverse, humans visiting on mars would have to be strictly regulated and monitored because full power of an earthling would be far greater than that of a martian, and I'm not talking only physical strength but also physical resistance. Earthlings would probably be used as a higher class of manual labor, like oil right workers of today, they'd take two or three month trips to mars to perform heavy labour which they would be paid ten times the norm for.

>HUGE amounts of chlorine
Palm trees would be a good place to start the process then. I would rather have excessive chlorine, and bring it to a lower level, than no chlorine at all, as it is essential for plants.

I like your idea of an inclined rotating floor, but it would have to be miles wide, and rotating very quickly to simulate near-earth gravity, right?

And exiting/ laucnhing from the merry-go-round habitat would be sketch.

>Is there a way to restore the magnetic field?
Yes actually. Inject the core with Nuclear materials. ONLY for a whole planet. Thorium and Uranium.

earth's nuclear heat generates Roughly 20 terawatts of heat—or nearly twice as much energy as used by all of humanity at present

Mars is half of earth's size so you'd need 10 terawatts of heat generated from nuclear materials. + added energy.

>Yes actually.
I didn't ask.

fuck wrong person
meant for> Is there a way to restore the magnetic field?

To Teraform the planet fast. Send nuclear Tsar bomb and detonate it on Olympus mons

If it can cause an eruption, the amount of material released can start teraforming process.

Or introduce Methane producing microbes in facilities. along with rock-eating fungus.

Attached: olympus-mons.jpg (450x259, 44K)

Or rock eating fungus that produces methane.

Go walk into the middle of a desert, now remove air. Welcome to mars.

This whole deal of sending people to live on mars within the next 20 years is absurd. Maybe in a few million years when there might be a mass extinction event on earth, but keeping a human alive on a planet that has no air or water is a complete waste of resources and time, as well as being an almost certain death sentence. Just let the robots do it, and if there are dangers here that would require human migration to another planet, then the robots will let us know what to do

>intelligent life.
See, not to call you personally stupid sir, but that is a stupid man's argument. For one, finding single cell organisms would be absolutely ground shattering to our entire world. Second, intelligent life is almost impossible to match up with intelligent life. Look at the history of the Earth, life has been around for about 3.5 Billion years and "intelligent life" on the level of humans has been around for about 250,000 years and we're already threatening to destroy ourselves with all the stuff going on. Trying to line up our small period of intelligent life with another world's intelligent life is like shooting me shooting a bullet and then you shooting a perpendicular bullet to try to hit mine.

Side rant, it is a bit presumptuous of us to even consider ourselves "intelligent." We have no comparisons to make. Is the smartest retard in a class of retards smart? Didn't think so.

Also, say we see intelligent life on the other side of the universe. Its pretty interesting here that the speed of light would be a massive handicap to ever meeting with each other. What we would be seeing is what their world was millions of years ago, further complicating the chance of actually ever interacting with extraterrestrial life

you literally just described why people get fancy cars. Why? to show that we can. It's a dick measuring contest, and who wouldn't want to win that one

No because it's literally impossible. Mar's gravitational force is so weak if we actually shrouded the atmosphere in breathable oxygen, it would be blown off from solar winds in a couple hundred years reverting it back to being unbreathable air.

My girlfriend and I will make love on Mars.
I have seen it.

>the robots

What robots?

Mars dosent have a magnetic field so any atmosphere will just get blasted off by solar winds

You are correct in that statement, however, if we were to focus on sub-surface colonies, we could make them self-sustaining and surface atmosphere would become meaningless.
Gravitational failure over the long term is the real worry there. From what is known, it looks like Mars' core is slowing it rate of spin, which is reducing gravitational pull, which is the actual causation of atmospheric drift.
If we could somehow find a way to increase that spin and re-spark the heat of the mantle, Mars could become a feasible world for human surface habitation.

Mars does have a magnetic field, it is just very weak.

Yes however the teraform process will work. However it will only last 1 million years. Considering human civilisation is only 10,000 years; its a long ass time.

>wasting a couple thousand years on this when Mars will just eventually get destroyed like Earth in the long run by the expansion of Sol
If we're putting multigenerational time & effort into something it should be a fleet of seedships large enough & robust enough to indefinitely sustain large numbers of humans while they explore the galaxy & ultimately the universe.

>Mars is half of earth's size so you'd need 10 terawatts of heat generated from nuclear materials
Not really, the mass is only 1/10th of earth and the surface about a quarter. Therefore the number is even smaller.